Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Like all of you, I am patiently waiting for my new ride! I ordered a 2LT, Imperial Blue Metallic, RS package, automatic. I am #2 at my dealership - they have already gotten #1 ordered, so I am up. Anyway, I have heard that there is a constraint on the 6 cylinders? I looked around on here but didn't anything specific about that (just the CGM and the Hurst shifters). Anyway, could someone shed some light on that, please?

Thanks, guys (and gals)!

Joe

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Scotty or Eric....just curious if there is any "news" about this? I sure would like this contstraint lifted, but know I am at the mercy of GM on this one.

·
THE FBODFATHER
487 Posts
There will always be constraints -- esp. when a car is in demand.....

However, we look closely for sold orders first -- so don't be concerned.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
These constraints have me a little worried- and I wish someone would explain why some dealerships aren't able to just put in a Sold order until they get "allocation" ???
I'll take a crack at this and, if I wander too far into the weeds, perhaps someone will be kind enough to steer me clear of them.

EDIT: ^^^ A little help here? ^^^ :eek:

Constraints refer to scheduling or production constraints and basically mean the factory is not prepared to take these orders. Constraints can be caused by a variety of conditions and, therefore, the meaning of the constraint can have different shadings. In the current case of the Camaro, for instance, there are several variations.

There is a constraint on Cyber Gray Metallic right now because the factory apparently is set up for a certain number of colors but the "dark gray" slot is currently spraying a different color on Trailblazers. As soon as they finish that run, they will refit for CGM and start taking orders. Wanna order one? No problem! The order will sit in queue, however, until the constraint is released.

There is also a constraint on white (I forget what the name of the paint is.) I do not know whether the limiting factor here is production (such as with CGM) or something else (such as a supplier issue, a quality concern, a marketing tactic, etc.) The result is much the same regardless, however -- none picked up. (I don't think it is even available for ordering at this point so the constraint is primarily informative.)

There is also a constraint on the Hurst short-shifter. Originally, this was a dealer-installed option option (LPO VYV) that could be included in the order of the car. For one reason or another (some say it was because the demand was much higer than expected, others that there has been a significant design change from GM's side), the option was changed to a factory-installed option (RPO KAE) that hasn't yet been made available for selection and the original dealer-installed option has been "constrainted" -- this means the orders in the system with the LPO VYV code will be skipped if a slot becomes available, until GM finalizes their changes for this item and clears the constraint. This will probably mean the elimination of LPO VYV and the availability of RPO KAE.

There is also a constraint on V6s. This is a constraint of a very different nature. GM is going to deliver one V6 to each Chevy dealer in the entire country in time for the May 6th unveiling. In order to meet this goal, the factory is focusing on V6s for these deliveries. From what Fbodfather has told us, this NOT intended to stop sold pre-orders from being picked up but is meant to block dealer-stock orders for V6s from being scheduled until the initial round of "one V6 per dealer" is completed. (NOTE: IF I am off-base on the previous sentence, someone PLEASE let me know!) It seems, however, that this is a source of great confusion and dealers are skipping SRE LT orders because they see the constraint. I am speculating here but I suspect the Camaro line in Oshawa splits in the middle, into a V6 line & a V8 line, which then merge again downstream.

The "allocation" question is more complicated but might be boiled down without jargon, I think -- I'll try, anyhow! :)

Based on a number of conditions (demographics, last year's sales, projections, bribery, whatever), GM & the dealer network went through a process that resulted in each dealer being given a target number of production slots in the "first go-around". The deal was basically this: dealers agreed to locked-in pricing on all orders taken before the start of production (yesterday) and GM agreed to giving each dealer a few "priority" orders. Dealers could take more pre-orders than the number of "priority" orders they expected, and this could be used for good or evil; dealers could ethically inform their potential customers that they would be number 17 of 9 and then shuffle people forward as a few orders fall through (buyer can't get financing, loses job, moves, dies, buys a Challenger, whatever), OR dealers could lie through their teeth, claiming every potential customer was the lucky last allotment and what a fortuitous thing it was that you stopped in today!!!

Each week, the dealers tell GM how many they would like to order and then they are told how many orders they can actually have picked up that week for scheduling. The dealership's inventory manager looks at the list of orders, evaluates the constraints and then prioritizes the orders accordingly. It is up to the dealer to ethically maintain the sequence of orders, or not. Once the "first go-around" is complete, the weekly process continues but the initial "allocation" pre-orders will have already been built, shipped & delivered.

If I understand this correctly, the dealer can enter ALL of their orders into WorkBench in advance, prioritize them within the dealer's queue and then the system will automatically handle constraints (someone who knows correct me here) but it seems that most dealerships prefer a more "hands-on" approach.

This pre-sold order priority system is a smart approach by GM because it greatly helps them with production scheduling, allows for visible & vocal enthusiasts to get on the road quickly (free advertising!) and allows the plant to spin up to full capacity making cars that generate cash flow right away rather than either churning out speculative inventory product or dialing back production until demand builds organically following their appearance on the roads.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Well I ordered a V6 and it is still at 1100:mad: and is the one and only order my dealer has for the Camaro right now. Now that production has started the anticipation level has gone through the roof.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'll take a crack at this and, if I wander too far into the weeds, perhaps someone will be kind enough to steer me clear of them.

Constraints refer to scheduling or production constraints and basically mean the factory is not prepared to take these orders. Constraints can be caused by a variety of conditions and, therefore, the meaning of the constraint can have different shadings. In the current case of the Camaro, for instance, there are several variations.

There is a constraint on Cyber Gray Metallic right now because the factory apparently is set up for a certain number of colors but the "dark gray" slot is currently spraying a different color on Trailblazers. As soon as they finish that run, they will refit for CGM and start taking orders. Wanna order one? No problem! The order will sit in queue, however, until the constraint is released.

There is also a constraint on white (I forget what the name of the paint is.) I do not know whether the limiting factor here is production (such as with CGM) or something else (such as a supplier issue, a quality concern, a marketing tactic, etc.) The result is much the same regardless, however -- none picked up. (I don't think it is even available for ordering at this point so the constraint is primarily informative.)

There is also a constraint on the Hurst short-shifter. Originally, this was a dealer-installed option option (LPO VYV) that could be included in the order of the car. For one reason or another (some say it was because the demand was much higer than expected, others that there has been a significant design change from GM's side), the option was changed to a factory-installed option (RPO KAE) that hasn't yet been made available for selection and the original dealer-installed option has been "constrainted" -- this means the orders in the system with the LPO VYV code will be skipped if a slot becomes available, until GM finalizes their changes for this item and clears the constraint. This will probably mean the elimination of LPO VYV and the availability of RPO KAE.

There is also a constraint on V6s. This is a constraint of a very different nature. GM is going to deliver one V6 to each Chevy dealer in the entire country in time for the May 6th unveiling. In order to meet this goal, the factory is focusing on V6s for these deliveries. From what Fbodfather has told us, this NOT intended to stop sold pre-orders from being picked up but is meant to block dealer-stock orders for V6s from being scheduled until the initial round of "one V6 per dealer" is completed. (NOTE: IF I am off-base on the previous sentence, someone PLEASE let me know!) It seems, however, that this is a source of great confusion and dealers are skipping SRE LT orders because they see the constraint. I am speculating here but I suspect the Camaro line in Oshawa splits in the middle, into a V6 line & a V8 line, which then merge again downstream.

The "allocation" question is more complicated but might be boiled down without jargon, I think -- I'll try, anyhow! :)

Based on a number of conditions (demographics, last year's sales, projections, bribery, whatever), GM & the dealer network went through a process that resulted in each dealer being given a target number of production slots in the "first go-around". The deal was basically this: dealers agreed to locked-in pricing on all orders taken before the start of production (yesterday) and GM agreed to giving each dealer a few "priority" orders. Dealers could take more pre-orders than the number of "priority" orders they expected, and this could be used for good or evil; dealers could ethically inform their potential customers that they would be number 17 of 9 and then shuffle people forward as a few orders fall through (buyer can't get financing, loses job, moves, dies, buys a Challenger, whatever), OR dealers could lie through their teeth, claiming every potential customer was the lucky last allotment and what a fortuitous thing it was that you stopped in today!!!

Each week, the dealers tell GM how many they would like to order and then they are told how many orders they can actually have picked up that week for scheduling. The dealership's inventory manager looks at the list of orders, evaluates the constraints and then prioritizes the orders accordingly. It is up to the dealer to ethically maintain the sequence of orders, or not. Once the "first go-around" is complete, the weekly process continues but the initial "allocation" pre-orders will have already been built, shipped & delivered.

If I understand this correctly, the dealer can enter ALL of their orders into WorkBench in advance, prioritize them within the dealer's queue and then the system will automatically handle constraints (someone who knows correct me here) but it seems that most dealerships prefer a more "hands-on" approach.

This pre-sold order priority system is a smart approach by GM because it greatly helps them with production scheduling, allows for visible & vocal enthusiasts to get on the road quickly (free advertising!) and allows the plant to spin up to full capacity making cars that generate cash flow right away rather than either churning out speculative inventory product or dialing back production until demand builds organically following their appearance on the roads.
Well explained, thank you very much

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Bear in mind that I don't promise any of this is true... :D

I'm hoping people who actually know what they are talking about (as opposed to me) will chime in!
i think you've taken everything you're read/seen from the most credible sources and created an excellent write-up! i cannot verify your statements as i am not privileged enough to have such info, but i think you're probably on the right track.

·
THE FBODFATHER
487 Posts

uhmmmmm...........yes to one or two -- No to a bunch of them.

A+ for effort.

C for facts.......

A+ for enthusiasm. (which trumps the C!)

(it's very late -- and I need to get some rest......I'll try to sort thru this again tomorrow....)

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
uhmmmmm...........yes to one or two -- No to a bunch of them.

A+ for effort.

C for facts.......

A+ for enthusiasm. (which trumps the C!)

(it's very late -- and I need to get some rest......I'll try to sort thru this again tomorrow....)
That would be wonderful, Fbodfather! I would be most appreciative and I believe others would benefit from this as well -- what I wrote above was not inteded to be a portrayal of fact but rather was a best-effort summary of the various shreds & snippets to be gleaned from these pages. [1] I think the fact that no one jumped in to correct me suggests others have interpreted things in a similar manner.

BTW, I'd be particularly curious in the story, plan & timeline for the Hurst shifter [3], if you are privvy and at liberty to discuss.

"Customer empowerment" is a double-edged sword, ain't it??? :lol:

Thanks again for your commitment!
Brian

[1] Well, except for that stupid Trailblazer comment; I meant Impala. [2]
[2] Which doesn't mean it really has anything to do with the Impala, mind you! Only that this is what the Intarw3bZ say...
[3] Of particular interest to me because it affected me, naturally! I have had LPO VYV removed from my order but would really love for it to be an RPO in time for my 2SS/RS to be scheduled for production. :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts