Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put my Borla S axle backs on the vert today. Some comments:

Marked cut off line with masking tape, to also help keep sawzall from sliding around. I did not want to remove the V brace, and therfore had to cut with the sawzall from the inward side of the car. Could not quite cut through the whole pipe because the saw's movement was limited. Was able to complete the cut with a Dremel. I sprayed the hanger grommets with soapy water to help remove the mufflers.

Borla says to cut 2.32" from muffler; I wish I would have at 2" or maybe even 1.75"...no reason not to. I would like my tip to stick out a little further, but with the 2.32" cut I can't come out much further (I will probably do a little welding to help fix this issue). Also, if you cut at one of these shorter lengths, you probably could use the sawzall from the outward side of the car and not needed the dremel.

A little disappointed in the quality of the Borla tips. Chrome finsh was very so-so. Also, I like the way the stock tips were longer and angled with the rear valance, the Borla's don't...no biggy I guess, but for their money they should be a little better quality.

Sound is nice rumble, and deep. Unlike the stocks, there is some unwanted drone at certain engine load points, but not at most normal cruising points.

Also while I was under there, I put in the skip shift jumper. A little tough to get your hand up to the solenoid, and that vert center cross bracket doesn't help matters! Anyhow got that on and MAN am I happy now...that 1 to 4 thing irratated the hell out of me.

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
Looks pretty cool and I bet it sounds great! Good info too. You are right though, those braces are everywhere. Makes a solid car though, so it's worth it. Thanks for the write up. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Glad to see it fits! The stock exhaust on the L99 is way to quiet. This is the ONE mod I can't decide on...as far as an axle back. Down to solo and borla, but which one???? Don't want something to annoying as far as sound and do have the L99.

·
8,984 Posts
Good Job! Welcome from the Dirty Bay!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was going put a cat back borla on but was informed that it has not been tested on the vert (called borla). I later found out from chevy that the L99 has the 4 cylinder cut out when not being used. This is important because when the engine cuts to 4 the sound would become a higher pitch sound. Chevy stopped making exhaust upgrades for the auto L99 SS

Has anyone put an axle-back on and does it sound as nice as Springer's?

·
8,984 Posts
Try the search tool on here as there are tons of people that have it on their cars. Not as many verts, but.....youtube has some as well if you are looking for clips.

BTW, Welcome to the site!

·
Support MC & Troops
11,804 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts