Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the Camaro out for a short cruise last night, nothing rough, maybe a half hour averaging 55 mph maybe I hit the high 60's at some point. Got home put her in the garage shut her off and heard a funny hissing sound. Wasn't sure what it was looked around didn't see anything. Started it back up real quick because I wanted to see the temps (oil, engine, trans). All temps seemed normal but it didn't idle even so I shut it off. After I shut it off the hissing was gone. This morning I get up to go to the gym and see some coolant on the floor, not much by any means but some. Looked under the hood and it looks like it came out of the top of the radiator because I can see some on some of the fans and such.

Imagine I need to take it to the dealer to get it checked out but just thought I'd get some thoughts from some of you one what you thought may be going on, or things to check.

Any input appreciated. Thanks.

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
I would definitely take it into the dealer ASAP. Did you check the coolant levels?

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
There was a member here who had a leaky radiator...and I think another with a loose radiator hose. I'd check all the hoses first...have the dealer check it out. Keep an eye on things if you're gonna drive it (make sure you top off the radiator if a lot has leaked).

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did check the levels and it is low but not empty. I checked some of the hoses around where I could see coolant but seemed to be pretty tight. I'm wondering if it was from around the cap. To me it looks like there is coolant around the edge of the cap.

Thanks for the input. Will get it to the dealer as soon as I can, and I won't be driving it till then.

Chris

·
SS-Eric
2,560 Posts
Chris, Def, get it into the shop, just to make sure, but it sounds like the cap may not have been on there tight. Normally that is where the hissing noise comes from (if the hoses are all tight). Did you do any cleaning of the motor or maintenance when you got back home?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Think I'm headed to the dealer tomorrow. Topped off the coolant, ran it like the manual said, didn't see anything so shut it off and went to eat. Came back and there was a new puddle on the floor under it. Think it's not the cap now

Chris

·
Registered
544 Posts
My 1992 Firebird was running hot and losing coolant a while back, and when I'd get out of the car, I'd hear it hissing like you said your car does. I took it to the shop to have a coolant flush done and had them look at it, and it ended up being that my radiator cap wasn't screwing on tight all the way. I had them replace the cap and haven't had a problem since. Hope this helps.

BTW. Another guess would be maybe there's a cut or crack in the hose somewhere.

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Took the Camaro out for a short cruise last night, nothing rough, maybe a half hour averaging 55 mph maybe I hit the high 60's at some point. Got home put her in the garage shut her off and heard a funny hissing sound. Wasn't sure what it was looked around didn't see anything. Started it back up real quick because I wanted to see the temps (oil, engine, trans). All temps seemed normal but it didn't idle even so I shut it off. After I shut it off the hissing was gone. This morning I get up to go to the gym and see some coolant on the floor, not much by any means but some. Looked under the hood and it looks like it came out of the top of the radiator because I can see some on some of the fans and such.

Imagine I need to take it to the dealer to get it checked out but just thought I'd get some thoughts from some of you one what you thought may be going on, or things to check.

Any input appreciated. Thanks.

Chris
how many miles do you have on the car ? That has nothing to do with this situation I was just wondering.
I would take it to the dealer and mention the hoses first off to be checked.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
how many miles do you have on the car ? That has nothing to do with this situation I was just wondering.
I would take it to the dealer and mention the hoses first off to be checked.
735 miles. Wherever the leak is it doesn't lose much coolant at least. Only about a quart of the nearly 12 quart capacity. So at least it's not going dry. Will update after I get it to the dealer.

Edit - Appointment set up for tomorrow at 9am. They were booked today.

Chris

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
not the end of the world, could have been worse...a hassle YES, but that's why there's warranties.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts