Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had in mind to get everything done in Lingenfelter to my Camaro. However, I think the Lingenfelter Axle Back exhaust is too aggressive with sound. I don't want something so choppy.

This brings into question other exhaust recommendations. Corsa vs Borla. You can tell me to check out youtube all day on these, however no one has any really great HD sound videos out there from what I found.

Which will have the best performance and which will give me a little more mature sound, but not too aggressive? :cheers:

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I had in mind to get everything done in Lingenfelter to my Camaro. However, I think the Lingenfelter Axle Back exhaust is too aggressive with sound. I don't want something so choppy.

This brings into question other exhaust recommendations. Corsa vs Borla. You can tell me to check out youtube all day on these, however no one has any really great HD sound videos out there from what I found.

Which will have the best performance and which will give me a little more mature sound, but not too aggressive? :cheers:
They both will, and u wont be dissapointed, i have the Corsa now and its worth every penny, no drone, and a lion at WOT!!

·
Banned
258 Posts
This^^^^^^all day long. I've heard tons of exhausts and the Corsa on the LS3/L99 is divine. I've heard the Borla Touring and ATAK and I thought the Touring was just okay and the ATAK was like listening to a good audio system with the graphic EQ set flat. Corsa is authoritative and sounds fantastic from within the cabin.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
This^^^^^^all day long. I've heard tons of exhausts and the Corsa on the LS3/L99 is divine. I've heard the Borla Touring and ATAK and I thought the Touring was just okay and the ATAK was like listening to a good audio system with the graphic EQ set flat. Corsa is authoritative and sounds fantastic from within the cabin.
yup wut sixjak said, u will notice how clean the Corsa sounds

·
Registered
244 Posts

kiteboarder85,

Now a days most if not all muffler systems are made out of stainless steel for durability so I see no real difference in brand except for the individuals exhaust tone and how loud it can become. I'd say get which ever sounds the best and the cheapest in cost.

In about a month I intendt oget the ball rolling and get my first Camaro with the factory ordered "high performance" muffler system (cat-back). Despite the price for GM's own version I think it'll save me a headache or two.:thumbsup:

Mail Clerk

·
Registered
202 Posts
Borla vs. Corsa ? You haven't considered other brands ? I always say youtube videos are best with headphones. Head phones with my video sounds exactly like "live".I have Cherry bomb but if I was to change them I would go with stainless works retro chambered.

·
Banned
258 Posts
The alluminized steel factory pipes are friggin heavy. Corsa and Borla are both crafted from T-304 stainless steel which is the highest grade used in exhaust parts. Many other after market manufacturers (Magnaflow, Flowmaster SOLO use T-409 SS which is certainly an upgrade over alluminized steel but its not the same quality as 304.

I just think Corsa's tips look better and they just flat out sound better. They sound even more amazing with long tube headers.

As an aside, for the V6 you can't beat the mirror polished T-304 ARK DT-S.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The alluminized steel factory pipes are friggin heavy. Corsa and Borla are both crafted from T-304 stainless steel which is the highest grade used in exhaust parts. Many other after market manufacturers (Magnaflow, Flowmaster SOLO use T-409 SS which is certainly an upgrade over alluminized steel but its not the same quality as 304.

I just think Corsa's tips look better and they just flat out sound better. They sound even more amazing with long tube headers.

As an aside, for the V6 you can't beat the mirror polished T-304 ARK DT-S.
SIXJAK,

It appears to me that good tone/sound is much associated with the application of tube headers especially on the V6's. Like the others said one has to pick the cat backs/axle backs carefully otherwise what you get might not be what you want!

I'm generally planning on getting the GM brand of exhaust due to void any possibilities of voiding the warranty but on You Tube the standard exhaust sounds pretty good as well. In that case I'll save $1K plus tax.

Mail Clerk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll be asking some people to start their Camaros at the Camaro Super Fest in Michigan on July 5th weekend. I can't choose one on a SS by just listening to youtube. I think the answer to my question is talk to those owners in real life and hear with my own ears.

I don't really want to wait a month, I will if I need to. Does anyone live in Michigan with a Corsa/Borla?

·
Banned
258 Posts
SIXJAK,

It appears to me that good tone/sound is much associated with the application of tube headers especially on the V6's. Like the others said one has to pick the cat backs/axle backs carefully otherwise what you get might not be what you want!

I'm generally planning on getting the GM brand of exhaust due to void any possibilities of voiding the warranty but on You Tube the standard exhaust sounds pretty good as well. In that case I'll save $1K plus tax.

Mail Clerk

In truth, long tube headers on the LLT V6 typically create a very loud and raspy sound that would be very un-appealing to most. I tried the SOLO catback with the J-pipes and it was rediculously loud and raspy. It did a convincing V8 rumble at low revs though. I think that catback is better suited to stock headers or shorty's or the new LFX motor with its built in headers. The ARK DT-S took the edge off of the sound and sounds kind of exotic. I get tons of compliments on how it sounds.

OP if you have to wait a month, I'd do it. It's worth the wait to get this mod right.

·
Registered
244 Posts
In truth, long tube headers on the LLT V6 typically create a very loud and raspy sound that would be very un-appealing to most. I tried the SOLO catback with the J-pipes and it was rediculously loud and raspy. It did a convincing V8 rumble at low revs though. I think that catback is better suited to stock headers or shorty's or the new LFX motor with its built in headers. The ARK DT-S took the edge off of the sound and sounds kind of exotic. I get tons of compliments on how it sounds.

OP if you have to wait a month, I'd do it. It's worth the wait to get this mod right.
SIXJAK,

I whole heartly agree with you on the subject. I admit though that the V-6's seem harder to get a nice tone compared to a typical V-8 motor. After listening to some You Tube videos for exanples of tones from the V-6 engines I may just stick with the factory mufflers over the GM brand high performance muffler system. It all depends on wether it's available and how long it takes for the dealership to install it.

Mail Clerk

·
Banned
258 Posts
SIXJAK,

I whole heartly agree with you on the subject. I admit though that the V-6's seem harder to get a nice tone compared to a typical V-8 motor. After listening to some You Tube videos for exanples of tones from the V-6 engines I may just stick with the factory mufflers over the GM brand high performance muffler system. It all depends on wether it's available and how long it takes for the dealership to install it.

Mail Clerk
If shouldn't take them longer than an hour to do a simple axle back. My local muffler shop installed my ARK catback in about 45 mins. My brother installed just my old Cold Air Inductions intake and it improved his sound quite a bit. I think a good intake and the GM dual mode might be just what you're looking for.

If a dealer tries to void your warranty over installing a CAI, find a different dealer. Mine would never do that to me. In fact if I were to put my car back to stock, they would do warranty work. But then again I bought 7 Camaros LOL so....

·
Registered
244 Posts
If shouldn't take them longer than an hour to do a simple axle back. My local muffler shop installed my ARK catback in about 45 mins. My brother installed just my old Cold Air Inductions intake and it improved his sound quite a bit. I think a good intake and the GM dual mode might be just what you're looking for.

If a dealer tries to void your warranty over installing a CAI, find a different dealer. Mine would never do that to me. In fact if I were to put my car back to stock, they would do warranty work. But then again I bought 7 Camaros LOL so....
SIXJAK,

If that's the case when the time arrives I'll just go ahead and do it! For one hour of work that no big deal at all:thumbsup: However in California a CAI is illegal so for that part must be left alone.

In the realm of it all no one like a sports car sound more than I do. Like I said those extra two cylinders makes a big difference in tone from the mufflers. Getting that special tone from a six cylinder is harder.

Since I'm getting my first Camaro in my life I just want a nice looking 2LT/RS version with all the bells and whistles that I can afford.:thumbsup: At my age now this wil be my first Camaro and most likely my last.

Have a great holiday everyone:thumbsup:

Mail Clerk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SIXJAK,

If that's the case when the time arrives I'll just go ahead and do it! For one hour of work that no big deal at all:thumbsup: However in California a CAI is illegal so for that part must be left alone.

In the realm of it all no one like a sports car sound more than I do. Like I said those extra two cylinders makes a big difference in tone from the mufflers. Getting that special tone from a six cylinder is harder.

Since I'm getting my first Camaro in my life I just want a nice looking 2LT/RS version with all the bells and whistles that I can afford.:thumbsup: At my age now this wil be my first Camaro and most likely my last.

Have a great holiday everyone:thumbsup:

Mail Clerk
Why not spend a little extra and just get a SS? Even just a used one with less miles. I think you would enjoy it 100% better than a V6.

Just saying :lol:

·
Banned
258 Posts
Why not spend a little extra and just get a SS? Even just a used one with less miles. I think you would enjoy it 100% better than a V6.

An SS is certainly worth considering. 10 years down the road, it will certainly be worth more.

That said I've had a blast modding my V6. I've learned a ton and I really enjoy my car. It's a bit of an odd duck but it will outhandle any stock SS and either keep up with or beat any stock or lightly modded SS and get 32-33 MPG at a steady 70mph.

Knowing what I know now however if I had it to do all over again, I would have purchased an LS3 and put a Maggie, ARH LT's, a Corsa cat back, upgrade certain bushings and sways with better hardware as well as install coilovers and enjoy a very reliable, very fast car.

Some just want the looks of the car and the V6 certainly is no slouch in the performance dept. Honestly if we're driving our cars in a law abiding fashion, an SS 1LE or ZL1 really aren't going to go any faster than a V6 lol.

OP I hope you can find the perfect exhaust setup for your SS. These LS motors can really sound amazing with the right exhaust and cams. Have you considered electronic cutouts?

Mailclerk, good luck in finding a suitable exhaust for your car. It's too bad that the zealots in Cali keep making modding less fun. In the end it's your money and your car and you gotta go with what suits your priorities best.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
An SS is certainly worth considering. 10 years down the road, it will certainly be worth more.

That said I've had a blast modding my V6. I've learned a ton and I really enjoy my car. It's a bit of an odd duck but it will outhandle any stock SS and either keep up with or beat any stock or lightly modded SS and get 32-33 MPG at a steady 70mph.

Knowing what I know now however if I had it to do all over again, I would have purchased an LS3 and put a Maggie, ARH LT's, a Corsa cat back, upgrade certain bushings and sways with better hardware as well as install coilovers and enjoy a very reliable, very fast car.

Some just want the looks of the car and the V6 certainly is no slouch in the performance dept. Honestly if we're driving our cars in a law abiding fashion, an SS 1LE or ZL1 really aren't going to go any faster than a V6 lol.

OP I hope you can find the perfect exhaust setup for your SS. These LS motors can really sound amazing with the right exhaust and cams. Have you considered electronic cutouts?

Mailclerk, good luck in finding a suitable exhaust for your car. It's too bad that the zealots in Cali keep making modding less fun. In the end it's your money and your car and you gotta go with what suits your priorities best.
i def know the 6cyls are no pigs, ive driven them before and they move nice, so im sure urs does too with ur mods, but stock for stock 6vs8 or zl1 it aint happening lol, 100hp difference theres no way it would be close, in driving in a law abiding fashion

·
Registered
244 Posts

Kiteboarder85,

I'm already paying insurance for an 08' Impala SS and California gas price keeps fluctuating up and down too much for my pocket book.

Getting a V-6/2LT/RS is about what I can afford including the price for cleaner air.

Like the others have indicated wether it's a V6 or a V8 it won't really matter cuz in the city we all go the same speed.

Mail Clerk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts