Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am eagerly awaiting the new Camaro. I would never order one sight unseen, and without a test drive, for the obvious reasons. But it appears that Chevy may get this one right, regardless of which configuration you choose.

My thought is, a loaded SS will run me mid-30's....not bad. But....the new Corvettes are sinking into an area where even a blue collar guy like me may be able to own a dream car, because I am one of the few people in this country who does not have bad dept (credit cards, etc)

This new Camaro will make this decision so tough. A new Vette can be had for about 40k.. and can you believe 27 hwy mpg on that 6.2 liter V-8?

Decisions, decisions...:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
:hello:Welcome from Long island, NY. Glad you could join us, DK. The decision to purchase the Vette or the Camaro should depend on your vehicle needs. Do you need a backseat?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No need for a backseat. I have owned numerous Camaros in the past...loved them all. THe Corvette was a pipe dream for the most part....but now I am honestly torn. Love the look of the new Camaro...and will have to drive one to compare it to the Corvette.

It will be a tough decision!!!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
With that said,

A great predicament to be in - that should be wikipedia's definition of
"a win-win situation"!
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
179 Posts
I traded a 2000 convertible vette for a 2008 coupe that my wife pretty much own's. Frankly, I thought the C5 was better looking (absolutely hate the rear glass on the C6 coupe) so I'm glad the wife loves the new one. It is one hell of a car though, never knew what was meant by effortless performance until I drove the C6, way faster than my old one. I would rather have a Camaro though since the C6 convertible is way out of my price range.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Vette or not

Best of luck with the decision. I've owned four vettes and the last one was the 03 ZO6. Once you've owned a Z06, all other vettes are anticlimatic! If they could get the 2008 Z06 down in the upper 50's, I'm there....but I'm pretty stoked about the Camaro!

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
CORVETTE SCOTTY SAYS - VETTE I know many vette owners getting 30 MPG with the LS3

Oh and shoot me the best price you find.... CORVETTE SCOTTY DOES WONDERS

·
A New Camaro, Excellent!
529 Posts
The camaro is a more brutish muscle car, whereas the vette is pure sports car.

I'm not a big fan of the c6 looks, but gotta respect the power. Just depends on what you prefer.

I love my c5 vette, but plan on buying a camaro too!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think if I had to choose between the 2 ..Vette hands down you can get a sick C5 at the same price a Camaro SS is going for which will out perform in about every way and trust when I say you wont be disappointed with a C5Z06 now if your talking C6 Coupe then Id still say you wont be upset but like Big Phil I too am not a huge fan of the C6 styling although growing on me Im not ready for one yet...

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
I like vettes, but I have seen and driven more used vettes than most...(happens when you work for one of the biggy vette dealers....)

If I bought a vette, it would be a virgin unowned one....that would be the only way -

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Whether the Vette or Camaro, I will buy new. I keep my vehicles a long, long time, so depreciation is not a factor for me. The C6 styling is growing on me, like many I did not care for it at first. I love the Camaro style, but I have not seen one in person yet.

I guess it comes down to whether I want to spend 5-7k more on a base Vette than on a loaded Camaro. It will likely come down to test drives.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
I think they will have two different personalities.

When I had my 4th gens, I drove a couple C5's (not Z06). I was never impressed with them enough to care to make the switch.

At this point in time, I fancy the C6 Z06 more than anything, but I'd have to be able to have both a Camaro and Corvette.

And Octane, a 1LT (base) Corvette is pretty well equipped. I would go with 1LT/Z51 if I were looking.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I would take the Corvette without hesitation. I have seen on the Corvette forums dealers advertising new 09 Vettes with stickers at 51 and 52K for 38 and 39k pluss change. You will never have a better time to buy. Also there is a new Z06 with 17K off sticker.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Car guy is absolutely right. Garage queen low mileage stock to near stock 2-3 year old Vettes with nice options are selling for the price of a 1SS Camaro. Prices are getting so good on them now that I'm considering a used C6 Z06 instead of a Camaro. Saw one for sale from a huge Vette dealer with 7800 miles for $46,900. When they get to below $40K, I may pull the trigger.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts