Modern Camaro Forums banner

Cost?

9K views 47 replies 16 participants last post by  Jinx 
#1 ·
I was curious what you all think the price ranges will be for the different models. We already know that there will be two six cylinder models and one 48 (LS3?) but have no idea about price. Any guesses out there on the models and prices that may be yet to come? Here are my guesses:
6 cylinder-stock-no frills-close to 300HP around 30K; possible options could be limited color choices and interior features, i.e., cloth vs. leather, etc.
6 cylinder-turbo-close to 375HP around 35K to start with options like exhaust, power everything and special color choices.
8 cylinder V8 LS3 with at least 400HP and more available on request. Lots of features for add ons but starting at around 40K and up.

#3 ·
Thankfully, you're wrong. It's already been hinted that there will be more than 1 V8 and that the prices will stay relatively close to mustang prices. There might be a special edition bad boy Camaro that can reach the 40K but the rest I think will stay under.

You drive an SSR, you should know what would happen if GM even thinks of setting up the prices how you suggested.

#4 ·
^I agree. So how about these as starting prices.......

-20k-Base V6
-23k-300hp V6 (RS appearance standard*)
-26k-Base V8 (L76)
-29k-SS (L76)
-32k-SS (upgrade to LS3)
-33k-Z28 (LS3)

*1k- RS appearance package

-42k- ZL1 (LS9, limted producton model)

--Just a wild guess.

#7 ·
Quick ?
Where do u guys get the Z28 being the top dog? It wasn't like that with the LS1 or the LT1. The SS was the most expensive along side the WS6 TA. I take that back I think it would actully be the FireHawk. I agree with your prices lord knows I hope so. I just think the SS will be on top unless they make ZL1 or somethin.

#6 ·
Lol. Thats the general thought I had when it was said the 5th gen would be priced near the mustang. But I still expect 35k for a LS3 SS optioned my way.

#11 ·
I hope you guys are right! but the first year--wont they be going for way over msrp?

But I'm soooo excited!! My hubbys friend lives in toronto and his brother who stayed with us a couple years ago works at the oshawa plant!! Andy(hubby) got a tour of it a few years ago....he's going to be calling him this weekend for me!! hopefully he can let us know whats going on....I will definitely let you guys know! hell, we'll fly there if we have to and drive back lol I (hopefully) wish!

#12 ·
Nothing is set in stone yet. Really cant say if the car is going to sell over msrp or not. I know one thing. I want one, really really really really bad.

#14 ·
I know I am.
I think about it over breakfast. I think about it on the way to work. I think about at work. I think about leaving work. I think about it at the gym. I think u get it. I can picture my self drivin it.
Car just makes me happy.

#16 ·
wow... I've found a place I belong! lol honestly though ya I feel exactly like you guys, can't get the thing outta my head, it's like a disease. Though I'm not sure I wanna cure it lol. But onto topic again ya I hope it doesnt go over MSRP, I REALLY hope it doesn't but ya it is supposed to be comparable to the mustang of similar specs. As others have said though I hope that GM sets it a bit lower to give buyers the little nudge they need to go with the camaro, and better for us cuz we get it cheaper. But ya nothing is for certain, we'll just have to wait. O and yes Octane I totally agree with you! I'm looking for that Z28 version. :D

#18 ·
Well I was thinking of the z28 model has a Z-model as in z51 (vette). I like to see it as a handling model. I like to see SS as available in at least two engine options, with more straight line focus. I think a LS3 powered SS and z28 should be price near each other, with comparable power but different setups. one drag and one road course. If you like a camaro with a handling package (like a z51) then I guess it "top dog" to the owner then, but if a SS with a LS3 is in the hands of a drag sportsman then it would be a "top dog" to them. I like to see purpose built model, that target different people, instead of the "here is our top model that more expensive, but we have one not too different but less expense" approach. But im just guessing and wildly speculating. I like to hear the arguements (if GM did as I guessed) about who has the superior car. The z28 guys prolly win by finally saying they have the LS3 standard, but in the end proves how the owners view performance instead of the car. But I like to see a ZL1 that is like the Z06 of camaro, limited and performance only second to the Z06 of the same year.

If they have something else to besides L76 and LS3, GM will blow my socks off in surprise (like a new LS series engine, smaller V8 than 6.0L, or seeing the LS9/8 in the first year production model).

#19 ·
I had hoped for a straitline SS but after reading this I don't think that will be:

“Beginning with HHR SS, all future SS models will have superior power, braking and handling capabilities for maximum credibility with our customers and enthusiasts alike,” said John Heinricy, GM Performance Division executive. “The SS badge represents high performance, and the HHR SS delivers with a fully-integrated, balanced driving experience.”

http://www.5thgen.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2442&highlight=hhr&page=2

#21 ·
One more thing. In the 4th gen models a SS was a Z28, so really all V8 versions were Z28s and SS was mostley an apperance package to the Z28 as RS was an apperance package to the Sport Coupe(V6)

#22 ·
I understand what your sayin but I ment that the SS was the top dog as far as cost too. The SS was susposed to have alittle more horse power due to the hood and gears I think. But yeah it was just a appearance pkg. I know u could order a Z28 with the gears that are in the SS. I hope gm allows more options than that to chose from with the 5th gen.

#23 ·
Imma nab me the top dawg no matter what its called. Hopefully though it will be a Z28 though :roxor:. I don't really see a different model line up in a drag vs road race set up. We know theres only IRS so making a model (a la SS) more based on drag racing doesn't make much sense to me from a bean counter perspective. Making a better handling model makes a little more sense as thats pretty much what the Z51 Vette is but its just an option code and is not badged "z51" the Camaro had it in the form of 1LE as well. "If" the Z28 is top then the SS will probably be a step up over the standard V8 and the top dog will be to the Camaro what the Z06 is the the vette. The most HP and phenominal handling. I kind of doubt that GM will do the same thing with the Z28/SS like it did with the 4th gen with nothing more but appearance items. Of course this is all just my ejumacated guess. There is just so much they can do with it with all the different models and options. Someone needs to hurry up and leak some information!!!!! :BangHead:. Plus we all know that the fastest 4th gen was/is a stripped down Z28 anyway :lol:.

#25 ·
Im not too changed on my guess. SS label may change its direction on all cars, but the performance to be had is yet to be measured. A z28 could still shine more in the handling, like a z51 vette vs. z06 (both have suspension and trim upgrades above the base vette) I can see a z28 being a hardtop only models with lightweight hood and other panels. The SS could be a GMPP parts golden boy compared to it base V8 mold (bigger brakes than the V6s and base V8, LS3 optioned, GMPP performance parts and tune).
And as for "drag vs track" focuses, I see this a "camaro for everyone" tactic; something that mustangs shine at (unfortunately that means everyone has one). I think this would sell the car and out do the mustang on the road and in sales.
Mustangs have the Shelby GT now, its basically a FRPP drag pack thrown at it. A regular GT can also have a drag pack option installed (CAI, tune, Springs, and drag bag). The FR500 handling options with stuff like whipple superchargers can be had for the GT. And they even have a lightly FRPP modded model, the CS/GT, that basically what a "RS'' package would be like.
And finally, the GT500, its has its place.
I hate to keep bringing up mustangs, but they do kick ass in sales (because of the "mustang for everyone" tactic) and I want to see GM beat them every year after 2009 with the new camaro. If SS label mean better performance in all catagories, then I think anything suspension (drag or not) upgrade would be better than the base V8. Im not saying a mullet dragster with ladder bars for the SS, or tube chassis Z28; I just think GMPP parts can define a model into a mold and still meet ''better performance" from both models.
But again its just speculation and I have a wild imagination. But after deciding to come to the GM camp, Ive wanting to see more GMPP performace parts. If Ford and Dodge is smart enough to back FRPP and Mopar, then I think GM can blow them out of the water with superior genius.
I love this issue, Im in suspense on not only what engine to be used, but how the variety of models and engine option equipped models will be defined. I would be disappointed if GM did the same model labeling and option as the 4th gen camaro (I think the firebird had better trim options, due to having more) Here are some speculation and imagination threads Ive started before on the issue.

About Model defining> http://www.5thgen.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2369

I like the GMPP wish list in that thread, it rivals the FRPP catalog very well.

#41 ·
I think the reason why Mustang has been selling so much is simply because there is nothing comparable out there yet. I thought about getting a new Mustang when I was trying to get a job at Ford..mainly because GM didn't(and still doesn't for a while) have anything remotely comparable (V8 with manual trans and RWD at a relatively low price).

#27 · (Edited)
first of all, i would just like to say that getting a top model fully loaded camaro for under 35 k sounds great!!!

however, here is my take on a few things:

1. Seems that the general concencus is that most people are hoping that the top of the line is a Z28. since there is 2 v6 and one v 8 i would think that there will be a base model and rs model for the v6 and a z28 for the 8. and maybe just have the SS as an additional package.

2. for the first few months the camaro is avaliable, i could expect for anyone to spend over MSRP. and if your gonna spend near 40k, you might as well go with a used vette.

3. as for a cure for 5thgen fever, i think the only cure will be a 6th gen?
i wonder what thats gonna be like

#29 ·
1. the 2 V6 1 V8 speculation should be thrown out the window because it's been hinted now that there will be more than 1 V8, which makes a lot of sense anyways.

2. The camaro is going to be sold over MSRP the first year, I'm almost certain. It sucks but what are you going to do? NOT BUY! lol, but people wont help it.

3. 6th gen already?! We haven't even had a production 5th gen !

#32 ·
Whew! Have not been checking the forum lately with the surf being up here and all, but I sure do hope you all are right about the pricing. That would be very nice, nice indeed. As with everything, it is about supply and demand. With only 800 some camaro forum members here, that does not seem like a whole lot of demand right now, but that is sure to change once 08 and 09 roll around. From the minimal info. I have read here and other places, the supply will be minimal in contrast to the demand, which equals high prices from my experiences, but I could be wrong. Hope so. I sure do hope your guesses are more accurate than mine, but then, we are guessing aren't we?:D

#34 ·
I hope it looks like this. Im not going to do prices on all of them.

CAMARO (Hopefully the 300hp V6)
CAMARO RS (Apperence Pkg same engine)
CAMARO Z28 (LS3 with a optional apperence pkg)
CAMARO SS (LS3 Ram air hood exhaust geared alittle different. SS seats etc)
CAMARO ZL1 (Blown LS3 road course inspired suspension. Lighter than the other V8's Only comes in a M6.

Choice #1 22k
Choice #2 24k
Choice #3 26k
Choice #4 29k
Choice #5 39k

Thats how I would like to see it.

#40 ·
I like that you ask , instead acting like a expert. Forums are for good dicussion and learning. Dont feel dumber, I new to the GM thing.

#42 ·
I was considering a Mustang as well, back when it first came out, but I couldn't justify the mark-ups. Also, I wasn't thrilled with the solid rear axle, because of my autocrossing. So instead, I went with an 11 year old Corvette instead. I'm glad I did. But now, the Camaro has sparked my interest from the moment I laid eyes on the illegal Bumblebee photos years ago. I'm determined to get one, and only the GM executives can take away my drive to get one by not offering logical engines/options/prices.

It's good to know that if GM does burn me, though, that I will still be able to get a pretty good Mustang at fire sale prices. I just pray every time I See the Camaro, that I don't have to settle for my second choice.

#44 ·
I think the Mustang has always been a car for people who like to drive ALOT. They're not hot rodders, but they don't want a Civic either. The suspension is softer and the car FEELS safer to handle.

Whereas, an F-Body has a bone jarring suspension (especially the convertible), and feels like an untamed beast everytime you goose the throttle.

#45 ·
Untamed beast......mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
If flooring a vehicle doesn't produce a grin(be it either a slight crack or maniacal cackling)...I don't want it.
My s-10..a moderate grin.
My previous oldsmobile...for a 4 cylinder...it was unfathomably fast...it produced maniacal cackling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.