Modern Camaro Forums banner

Crash test ratings?

4K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  carfansince73 
#1 ·
I am hoping that NHTSA and IIHS will conduct crash tests of this car. Safety is very important to me. After looking at safercar.gov, there are many cars that do not get tested, Corvette, G35 Coupe, XLR, and many Audi's and BMW's. I think because it sells so many, the Mustang did get tested, so I am hoping that this car will too. I know the IIHS get cars given to them right off the lot, so I hope Chevy steps up and donates a car from one of their dealerships for testing. :thumbsup:

#5 ·
After looking at safercar.gov, there are many cars that do not get tested, Corvette, G35 Coupe, XLR, and many Audi's and BMW's. :
I do not think that all is listed on that website. I have a Subaru Legacy and it has the highest safety/crash ratings all the way around. It does not show all the ratings for my car, so I dont believe everything on that website.
I have heard that Bill Gates has some old rare car and he cannot drive it on the public streets cause it has not been crash tested :confused: Not sure if there is any truth to that but i have always thought that every car had to be tested.

#7 ·
Because computer modeling is so much better now, crash testing can be done in the computer at a pretty high level, then far fewer actual cars need to be wrecked. Just a few to confirm certain tests.

If I see a Camaro crash test video before I have mine, I'm going to cry. And I haven't cried since Armageddon came out, and Bruce Willis sacrificed himself to save the world. :)

#11 ·
Have any of you seen the episode of cops or deadliest police chases where they are chasing a Vette at well over a 100 mph and it slams into the back of a tractor trailer? The car comes completely apart goes of the road and the guy sits up when it is done. I am sure it was mostly luck. That being said, if i could pick the car to have a wreck in it wouldn't be the vette.

#18 · (Edited)
Me neither, and I watched the movie again last night. It was almost like I hadn't even seen it in the theatre. I was glued to the TV screen.

I guess I just want to know the car is as safe as possible for when I take my son for a drive. A recent example is the all new Tundra. With Toyota's record on safety, I would expected nothing less than 5 stars in the frontal crash tests. It only got 4. Yeah, that's still pretty good, but it should have been 5. Chevy and Ford full size pickups got a 5, and they have been advertising the fact their truck is safer.

Here's the reply I got from NHTSA.

Thank you for contacting the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Vehicle Safety
Hotline Information Center.

Every year the agency chooses those new vehicles which are predicted to have high sales volume, those which have been redesigned with structural changes, or those with improved safety equipment. This allows us to provide star rating results that best represent what is actually being purchased in the marketplace. These vehicles are purchased from dealerships from across the country, just as you the consumer would. The vehicles are not supplied directly to NHTSA by the manufacturer – a common misperception. Since NHTSA selects vehicles for testing based primarily upon sales volume, not all vehicles can be tested. Those with smaller sales volume may not have been selected. Even though a vehicle may not have been tested under the New
Car Assessment Program, all vehicles sold in the U.S. are certified by the manufacturer as complying with all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards.

We hope that you find this information helpful. However, if you need additional information on our services please feel free to contact us at 1-888-327-4236.

Thank you,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.