Modern Camaro Forums banner

Dealer installed cam

6K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Big Phil 
#1 ·
Maybe this has been covered, but I could not find it, so I will ask. A salesman at my dealer told me that there is a corvette option when ordering a car that when it is delivered, it is taken into the shop at the dealer and a higher horsepower cheverolet cam is installed. He said that it is fully covered under warrantee and that it could be done with the camaro and "ordered" with the car (to be installed when it gets there). Does anyone have any information on this? Option codes? Horse power figures?

thanks,

Keith

#2 ·
That would most likely be the GM Performance Parts Hot Cam kit.
Alot of those are in fact installed at dealers, and while the hot cam itself is covered under the GMPP 24-month warranty, it does not affect the car's warranty.

For the 2010 Camaro, I would estimate a 50hp gain from the LS3 hot cam.
I say this because a normal LS3 is rated 430hp, but the GM Performance Parts LS376/480 is just a LS3 with the LS3 Hot Cam kit, and it's 480hp.

I don't know for sure, but it MIGHT be the same hot cam as the other LS engines.
Part number 88958733
Cam specs: 219/228 .525/.525 112LSA

#10 ·
the hot cam for the ls1's (which are the specs posted above) has the strangest profile of any other cam. they are a little too extreme sounding and lopey imo, and the lift is higher than most aggressive aftermarket cams which makes me nervous (and alot of valvetrain noise)... im amazed they are keeping factory warranty w these. I want a milder cam like a 220/220 but theres no way theyd honor the warranty on anything but a GM product.

#11 ·
The lift is .52x? That's terribly small?!?! Most performance cams these days are in the neighborhood of 0.600 +/- .020...the split is due to the nature of the intake/exhaust flow (the heads traditionally have weaker exhaust flow and need the extra duration for optimal power production). I would agree that valvetrain noise is def worse than stock, especially with LT headers, which essentially serve as a megaphone for the valvetrain. You're gonna leave some power on the table with this cam for sure...you can gain power and keep drivability and still go quite a bit bigger...as for the warranty on this hot cam, I'd have to see that in writing.

#12 ·
yeah my bad, i dont know what i was looking at but your right, that lift is very mild. so yeah its the different durations but mostly the 112 LSA that makes that lope. i would opt for a 114 for better drivability, even though i have seen as low as 110's work

#16 ·
You guys do know that they can't just void your warrantee because you modify a car right? Do your research, find out the facts. Research the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. They have to prove beyond a doubt that your car had failure due to the modification done to it. I had my car camed, exhaust and tuned and my dealer never said a thing about it the few times I had warrentee work done for it. They loved it and always commented on how much they liked it. But then again, if my mods caused a failure, I have enough ethics not to try to pull a fast one on somebody because of it...to each their own on that.

PS - the hot cam is a baby cam, I wouldn't wast my time and money on it. If your going to cam it, do it right the first time. Otherwise you come back later wanting to bump it up again.

#17 · (Edited)
I was running a relatively small cam in my GTO (with Dart heads) and it was a 224/228/0.600"/0.598"/112 LSA. With 225cc heads on a 5.7L, it had a noticable lope but was totally streetable (idle in-gear through parking lots, happy in drive-thru lines, etc.) The GM Hot Cam is a baby. IF the dealer is standing behind it, though (I'd want it in writing, too), it could be a nice little bump-up from stock if they don't gouge you on the install...

GM does have a couple of other cams, however, that are a bit more interesting.<clicky linky> OP, I'd suggest asking the dealer which specific cam they're referencing. An LS Stage 3 cam is very different from a Hot Cam, for instance...

EDIT: FWIW, the stock cam in an '08 'Vette is 204/211/0.551"/0.525"/117LSA.

#18 ·
after trolling around in the vette forums, it is very much agreed upon that a 224/228 114 lsa cam gives great power and runs/idles like stock... youll hear people say theyre bigger cam runs just as good as stock, but i tend to be a bit hesitant and conservative. these LS3's make a ton more power with a 224. any bigger and your only looking at about 5 hp and lesser idle quality

my 2 cents

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.