Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
isn't onstar standard on all new GM cars?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Yup, a sad waste of resources...it took me a while to find a 2006 GMC truck without the "DeathStar" option.

·
Supporting Super Moderator
5,668 Posts
I don't really care for other features, but I do love using directions and connections.

·
Registered
52 Posts
why do u want to delete it?
i wouldn't want Onstar because i don't like the feeling of people knowing exactly where i am at all times. i don't know how it works, but isn't there some sort of mic in the car that allows you to talk to the Onstar people as well? i don't need hidden mics in my car either.

·
Registered
70 Posts
We have OnStar in our Silverado SS. I don't need the directions part of the service so we don't pay for that. I do like the basic service because it gives you the option of having phone service. The phone works ANYWHERE the truck has reception for the satellite radio. Cell phones don't work everywhere so this is the part of OnStar that keeps me as a customer. One phone call could be worth the entire amount I have and will pay for this service.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Oh, I don't even notice the ugly antenna any more!

·
Supporting Super Moderator
5,668 Posts
i wouldn't want Onstar because i don't like the feeling of people knowing exactly where i am at all times. i don't know how it works, but isn't there some sort of mic in the car that allows you to talk to the Onstar people as well? i don't need hidden mics in my car either.
On the CTS forums they show step by step how to disable it for those that want to get rid of it for that reason.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
They DON'T know where your car is at all times.
Only time they know where your car is is when an accident happens and they have to notify emergency services. Or when your car is stolen.

EDIT: Or when you use their direction thing..it kinda helps when giving directions to know where the person is.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts
One of those eh? :lol:

Onstar technology is un-matched in the event of an accident.
I love the new technology and I'm a big fan of 'black box' technology. I would love to have that evidence available when/if I'm hit by some a-hole.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
The other part of OnStar that is good is the GPS locator on the vehicle. It can tell emergency crews where you are if you are involved in an accident and air bags go off. OnStar can also unlock your vehicle via satellite so you don't have to have someone come to your car and possibly scratch it to unlock it for you. I also know that starting in 09', some vehicle are going to be equipped with software that will allow OnStar to control and safetly slow your vehicle if it is stolen or in a high speed persuit. Just a few high lights.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The other part of OnStar that is good is the GPS locator on the vehicle. It can tell emergency crews where you are if you are involved in an accident and air bags go off. OnStar can also unlock your vehicle via satellite so you don't have to have someone come to your car and possibly scratch it to unlock it for you. I also know that starting in 09', some vehicle are going to be equipped with software that will allow OnStar to control and safetly slow your vehicle if it is stolen or in a high speed persuit. Just a few high lights.
I am looking forward to the unlock the doors thing. I have locked myself out of every car I have had. Man, I hate making that call to my husband. One time it called AAA instead and he guy sctatched the hell out of my window tint and chipped the paint. Onstar would have avoided that.

Get this, my mom took her 01 Monte Carlo SS in to get the Onstar upgraded, the dingalings at the dealership fried her cars computer, then they locked the keys in the car. No one was sure how to get in the car so they ad to wait for a lead tech to get back from lunch. The tech walked up to the car, pulled out his cell phone and called Onstar and "bing" the doors unlocked, Priceless :lol:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Oh no big brother is watching me!!!! :lol:

If OnStar tracked every vehicle equiped with it, could you imagine how many people at one time they would be watching? There is no way they would watch everyone and even if they could, what would be the point?

Like others have mentioned, OnStar only knows where you are when you call them for some reason.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I LOVE the OnStar feature. I love how they can unlock your doors. I love the auto-response in case of a crash. I love ask for weather and traffic conditions. I love how they can track your car in case it's stolen. Simply awesome feature.

I can understand how some may not like it but I love it.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I LOVE the OnStar feature. I love how they can unlock your doors. I love the auto-response in case of a crash. I love ask for weather and traffic conditions. I love how they can track your car in case it's stolen. Simply awesome feature.

I can understand how some may not like it but I love it.
i agree i love mine too for all reasons stated....and dont forget if u lose your car onstar can sound your horn and blink your lights lol

1 - 20 of 34 Posts