Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see where dealers are asking for deposits to order a camaro, 500,1000,2000 dollars and that they are not refundable. If you back out of a deal they keep the deposit. Am i right? If you don't back out and play the wait game, and accept the vehicle, what has your dealer done with your deposit? apply it to the price of the car? this is what my dealer says they do. I have it in writing.

I am wondering if this is what other dealers are doing? Or are they using it as a down payment? just curious what other peoples dealers are doing.

·
Registered
332 Posts
yes they will apply it to the overall price of your car if you wait it out. they also do keep it if its stated non refundable...which i dont quite believe in...but ohwell

·
Registered
395 Posts
some dealers say its non refundable, but others dont, my deposit is refundable at the dealer i went to. and it is applied to the price of the car

·
Registered
338 Posts
In the peoples republic of Massachusetts they must give you your deposit back. It is applied to the price of the car otherwise.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Non-refundable at Hood Chevy, but applied to the down payment on the car

·
Registered
20 Posts
I can see the dealership requiring a non refundable deposit. If you back out, the dealership now has a vehicle that's eaten into their allotment they now have to get rid of. It may not be the most popular combination of options/colors which will also slow down the sale.

Without the threat of losing your deposit, somebody could order a car just to see what it looks like in a particular color without ever having any intention of buying from that dealership.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can see the dealership requiring a non refundable deposit. If you back out, the dealership now has a vehicle that's eaten into their allotment they now have to get rid of. It may not be the most popular combination of options/colors which will also slow down the sale.

Without the threat of losing your deposit, somebody could order a car just to see what it looks like in a particular color without ever having any intention of buying from that dealership.
I would thank that if someone orders a car, that 8 out of 10 people would more than likely buy the car when it came in. If the demand for the vehicle slows down and the dealers had alot of camaros on the lot, but not one that you wanted exactly and you wanted to order one exactly the way you wanted it, I could see asking for a deposit just to make sure they don't get stuck with another one to put on the lot.
But since most dealers don't have any on the lot other than other peoples orders that have come, I think that if someone cancelled at this point the dealer would not have much of a problem selling it. The dealers around here when they get one in or have one that was cancelled, it doesn't sit on the lot for more than 2 days before they find another buyer.

I'm sure some of the great sponsor dealers on here could shed some light on it.

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts

Exactly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is not new nor is it only Camaro related. It is not uncommon for dealers to require a deposit of some kind any time you special order a vehicle. I did it 20+ years ago :D
I understand what you are saying, so that means any time that you order a vehicle it is considered a special order? This was my first time to order a new vehicle, hence the not knowing. Thanks for the info:thumbsup:

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts
I understand what you are saying, so that means any time that you order a vehicle it is considered a special order? This was my first time to order a new vehicle, hence the not knowing. Thanks for the info:thumbsup:
Correct. If you order a vehicle built to your specs instead of buying one off the lot :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Deposits here a refundable UNLESS you're ordering something that we don't normally stock, or think we'll have difficulty selling if you don't take it...air conditioning delete, "mary kay" pink paint, etc...at which point it's clearly explained that the deposit will be a) substantial and b) non refundable.

It is applied to the price of the vehicle.

It's also a way of protecting our customer. Can we sell a Camaro that someone orders and doesn't take? Absolutely.... But, do "YOU" want to wait an extra week (or 2, or maybe more) because your dealer had someone use a piece of allocation that he could have used for "your" car?

d

·
Registered
514 Posts
The dealer nearby tells me $500, refundable, or used towards the car when it comes in. But if you cancel...you will get it back. I was told they would not have a problem selling the car when it came in.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts