Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=126593

SANTA MONICA, California — Rising fuel prices be damned, GM is not giving up on its plan to launch the much-anticipated 2010 Chevrolet Camaro. What it may continue to fine-tune however, is the Camaro's powertrain options and its approach to marketing the new performance muscle car.

"Everyone thinks we'll be positioning the Camaro as a burn-ass hot rod," said Mark LaNeve, GM's vice president of sales and marketing. "But that's only about 30 percent of the business. The other two-thirds will come from 27-mpg V6 sales, with a significant female share."

LaNeve also said that GM is "not operating under the assumption that fuel prices will go down," and that Chevrolet is "looking at plans for a four-cylinder" for the Camaro, "but we don't have it done yet."

Consideration of small engines won't end with the new Camaro either. LaNeve said that due to consumer demand and CAFE concerns, "We are looking at everything to improve fuel mileage. Cars that use primarily 8s we are looking at getting 6s in them. Cars that use primarily 6s, we are looking at getting 4s in them."

What this means to you: High fuel prices affect more than just econoboxes. — Kelly Toepke, News Editor

·
Registered
318 Posts
Bah. I refuse to drive a V6 until gas is 12$/gallon. I'd rather drive the last of a dying breed, and keep her as a garage queen, than ever EVER get rid of her. Besides. I just did a 350 mile journey in my Monte SS, in 3rd gear the whole way to keep it in V8 mode, and I got 23mph average. So, I doubt the Camaro can be worse. And even if it is, oh well. As long as it gets better than 20, like most LSx's, I'll be thrilled.

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
hmmmmm thats a good question ??????? I have always said I wouldnt drive a V6 if I was forced to...... however if that was the case and Gas was so out of sight then I guess I would have to but only as long as it was a Camaro with hp lol or like they are saying this new one is going to be comparable to the 4th gen SS ......besides I would still have a Garage queen who loves to drink Gas " my 350 horse 396 Gaz guzzleing mule " :patriot: lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ode to the price of gas.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=126593

SANTA MONICA, California — Rising fuel prices be damned, GM is not giving up on its plan to launch the much-anticipated 2010 Chevrolet Camaro. What it may continue to fine-tune however, is the Camaro's powertrain options and its approach to marketing the new performance muscle car.

"Everyone thinks we'll be positioning the Camaro as a burn-ass hot rod," said Mark LaNeve, GM's vice president of sales and marketing. "But that's only about 30 percent of the business. The other two-thirds will come from 27-mpg V6 sales, with a significant female share."

LaNeve also said that GM is "not operating under the assumption that fuel prices will go down," and that Chevrolet is "looking at plans for a four-cylinder" for the Camaro, "but we don't have it done yet."

Consideration of small engines won't end with the new Camaro either. LaNeve said that due to consumer demand and CAFE concerns, "We are looking at everything to improve fuel mileage. Cars that use primarily 8s we are looking at getting 6s in them. Cars that use primarily 6s, we are looking at getting 4s in them."

What this means to you: High fuel prices affect more than just econoboxes. — Kelly Toepke, News Editor
The cost of gas does make everyone think about their buying choices. My decision to go with the Camaro however, is based on a lot more then the cost of gas. I love having the latest engineering technologies on board for the best performance ever, in several ways.

In the area of fuel conservation, active fuel management will work out more then ok if the actual mileage I'm getting is mid or high 20's per gallon (V6). I find it incredible that you can make the same (or close) horsepower with todays smaller engines than they used to with much larger cid in the original muscle cars. All the excitment and better Bang for the Buck! :roxor:

Direct Inject (V6) performance coupled with high end cruising gears, and you can own this car without any guilty feelings about paying for the gas. The sports performance is all there when you want it, and not there when you don't. It would truly be a wonderful world if all things were built around that bit of engineering. :)

The Camaro is also an icon to me, and a connection to a deeper passion. I can find it by driving the car and getting the same excitment going in others by just cruising around. That's pretty impressive, whatever the price of gas. The Camaro is high on the list of sweet stuff!! :cool:

Joe

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yea iam not purchasing a v6 camaro no matter how high gas gets . If it comes to needing to drive a gas miser there are plenty of those already out there.

·
Premium Member
2,774 Posts
the 27MPG!!! V6..that is a HUGE selling loint for this car..it needs that MPG with the HP it might come with.

The other way you gotta look at it is this..if you have this for a DD..then you gotta consider it might be 100 bucks to fill your tank in a few years..thats a lot of coin every week..now with a V6..it might be a little better..
And yes most of us here are getting the V8 or nothing..but for this car to survive it needs to be a V6 home run!

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Direct Inject (V6) performance coupled with high end cruising gears, and you can own this car without any guilty feelings about paying for the gas.
I'll feel guilty about paying for gas in my V8 when there are no more Suburbans/Hummer H2s/Expeditions/Explorers/Titans/etc... on the road.

I would LOVE it if GM made a 4-banger Camaro, and even a Turbo 4, or a diesel or whatever. Just as long as they still OFFER the V8 line. I want the V8, and there will always be people that do. If you kill the high-output lines, you will kill the car. Gas guzzler taxes, high gas station bills, lower MPG, if this is what people want, they will still buy it. Don't take that choice out of our hands. Just use new tech to make them better.

·
Registered
375 Posts
If the rumored gas milage on the V-8 Camaro is true then we shouldn't be hurt too bad(Fingers crossed). And I also hope our little beast'll beable to run on regular the super here's pushing close to $5.00.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
I still plan on getting the biggest "gas guzzler" model available. There are plenty of 600$ beaters out there if I need something more sensible.

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
My 92 V8 Camaro got 27 mpg on the highway years ago and my GTO gets 26-27 mpg on the interstate as long as I keep it under 80mph. The V6 version will sell very well under today's current market.

Since we appear to be in the middle of the 2nd rise and fall of big HP cars I might as well just get the big V8 .........just because.

·
Registered
116 Posts
$100 to fill up in a few years? I just paid $96 to for 21 gallons to fill 3/4 of the tank in my avalanche today at $4.30 a gallon, more like a few weeks, but I still plan on getting a big V8 b/c even if it isnt as good milage as the V6 anything is better than the 10.7 MPG I am averaging in my avalanche

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
In my case, the Camaro will not be my daily driver. I believe this will be our last chance to buy a real muscle car, so I want a V8. I plan on keeping this car until I die, unless of course, some unforseen turn of events makes me sell it.:BangHead: Hopefully not.

·
Registered
375 Posts
My thoughts exactly.:thumbsup:

In my case, the Camaro will not be my daily driver. I believe this will be our last chance to buy a real muscle car, so I want a V8. I plan on keeping this car until I die, unless of course, some unforseen turn of events makes me sell it.:BangHead: Hopefully not.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I will also be getting the V8. I do understand that with the price of gas being so outrageous many people will buy a V6 I probably would have done the same thing about 10 years ago. But my feeling is if your going to buy a Camaro, BUY A CAMARO. A V6 to me would be like wearing shoes with no sole.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a 91 RS TBI 305 it did not have the power I want out of a V8 so I do want a beast of a car. I learned my lesson that's why I know that for me a V6 is out of the question. I know they are much more powerful these days but oh well I must have the balls out fire breathing dragon of a car.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I say, just move to Jersey. Last I checked regular was under 4 bucks still...

I'd like to see the LNF (edit, oops) found in the new Cobalt SS, HHR, Solstice GXP, or Saturn Sky Redline and put into the Camaro :p.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Still under $4 here in Kansas, too.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
I want to see fuel mileage numbers before I make my selection. If the V-6 is putting out 300 HP and getting 8 MPG or more MPG the V-8...Well it'll be a tough choice. I want car that's gong to get 23-26 City and ~30+ hwy

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
The other two-thirds will come from 27-mpg V6 sales, with a significant female share."

My 98 V6 saw 31 on hwy. I would think the numbers for the 5th gen would be equal to or better. Then again he didn't specify what 27mpg rating was.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts