Modern Camaro Forums banner
41 - 60 of 94 Posts
Do any of you spend more time driving your Camaro than you do detailing it?

Mine gets washed every 1-2 weeks. I finally waxed it after owning it 3 months. I vacuum every 1-2 weeks. Let's get out of the garage onto the highway!

Discussion starter · #44 ·
Do any of you spend more time driving your Camaro than you do detailing it?

Mine gets washed every 1-2 weeks. I finally waxed it after owning it 3 months. I vacuum every 1-2 weeks. Let's get out of the garage onto the highway!
i wash it every fill up... its not a daily driver so that isn't always every weekend more like once or twice a month. this is the second time i have detailed in the 7 months i've had it... the first time was 2 weeks & 1000 miles after owning it.

Wow all your cars look great I'm definitely going to have to try this Zaino. Bamaproshop your car looks great I want my black to look like that. I cant wait for it to warm up a little so I can wax mine.

Can anyone tell me the best way to clean the strips?
Did you mean stripes? I cut and installed my own stripes from Avery Premium matte vinyl. When waxing the paint, I mask off stripes with "3M Blue masking tape".
When cleaning the actual stripes I use the hydrophobic instant detailer. The instant detailer doesnt cloud the vinyl, and gives the stripes an even finish.

Attachments

Did you mean stripes? I cut and installed my own stripes from Avery Premium matte vinyl. When waxing the paint, I mask off stripes with "3M Blue masking tape".
When cleaning the actual stripes I use the hydrophobic instant detailer. The instant detailer doesnt cloud the vinyl, and gives the stripes an even finish.

Looks great :thumbsup:

Discussion starter · #53 ·
yea i taped mine off with some thick masking tape, b/c i tend to buff in circles that get larger and larger and larger, then OOOPS! i keep a damp microfiber cloth in my pocket just for those slip ups.

taping them off made it a lot easier!

I hope I'm not stating the obvious. I know there are a lot of experienced car owners here.

I tried something new for cleaning the small 3 level grid area on the back bumper....

Only takes about 20 min to clean it all up perfect!

1. I used a brush like this with black electrical tape to cover the plastic / metal
bristle retainer. brush

2. I placed 3 small squirts of Meguiar's Shine Vinyl and Rubber Protectant
across the tip of the bristles, then massaged it into the brush. Use the
brush, and get into all the little corners ( you can be pretty aggressive ).

3. this conservative amount will take care of half the grid area, if you keep
going back to where you started to pick up the excess.
( doing this will allow you to get into all the little corners removing the dirt
and not leaving any excess product in the corners ) excess product can
defeat your efforts and attract all kinds of dirt and bugs, etc. next time
you drive the car.

4. repeat steps 2 & 3 for the other half of that section.

5. finish up by using the protectant on the rest of the black lower plastic,
then use a dry towel to remove the excess product.

Looks perfect with only 20 min of time invested :) :thumbsup:

This would also be effective on the lower front grill where the vertical and horizontal bars meet.... dirt and water spots accumulate there.

Hope this is helpful to someone.

OMG i spent about 6 hours this weekend detailing my Camaro! talk about a major PIA! i was getting her ready for spring and decided to do a full detail.

this is what i did:

0.5 hrs washing
1.5 hrs paint cleaner
1.5 hrs polishing
1.5 hrs waxing
0.5 hrs interior detail
0.5 hrs in between it all drinkin beer making sure i got every nook and cranny!

if you think you can do it faster with the same quality, and without wearing out your arms, please indulge us!
I got my Camaro on 11/15/2009 and was able to drive it only 400 miles when the Ohio winter hit. I washed it and covered it. It has been in the garage since and when it is time to start driving again, I want to maintain it very good

You mention paint cleaner, polishing. How often is that recommeneded to be done? What wax does everyone recommend?

Discussion starter · #57 ·
I got my Camaro on 11/15/2009 and was able to drive it only 400 miles when the Ohio winter hit. I washed it and covered it. It has been in the garage since and when it is time to start driving again, I want to maintain it very good

You mention paint cleaner, polishing. How often is that recommeneded to be done? What wax does everyone recommend?
the paint cleaner is to remove any road grime or old wax left on the vehicle's surface so that you have a 99.9% clean surface when applying the new polish and wax. the polish is to give the paint that extra POP. and finally the wax protects it all, leaving the surface smooth.

most companies who sell these products recommend to apply this 3 step process every 6 months, while washing it at least once a month in between.

What I've found to work really well and I started using it on all of my vehicles last year is Eagle One Wax as U Dry. I was a little skeptical at first but I tried it on my daily driver (Grand Prix GXP) and my wife's Geo Tracker and was very impressed. I used to hate washing my Camaro because then I would have to dry it and then go over the entire car with Wizards mist and shine to give it the extra shine and freshly waxed feel. Here are the things I like most about the Wax as U Dry:

1. It actually helps you dry the car off faster after washing it and rinsing it.
2. You can spray it on the entire car and it DOES NOT turn plastic or rubber parts white or leave any wax residue on the plastic. I even wax all of the windows.
3. It works well on leather tops too because my wife's car is a soft top Geo Tracker and I spray it on that and it makes it nice and shiny and the water runs right off it then.
4. It's way faster than traditional waxing and the end result feels just as good.
5. It's easy enough and fast enough that you can wax your car everytime you wash it to keep the wax job fresh. I can wash and dry/wax each of my cars in less than an hour.

You can find the product at many car parts stores in the smaller bottle to try it on one of your daily drivers first.

Between using the Wax as U Dry and Wizards Mist N Shine, my Camaro always gets compliments on how clean and shiny it looks. The water beads up and runs right off the car. Since I wax the windows I can even drive in the rain without using the wipers (acts like rain X).

Just a friendly suggestion to help speed up the detailing process. I'm sure there will be people that will disagree with me but that's fine, I've tried it and I think it works great.

What I've found to work really well and I started using it on all of my vehicles last year is Eagle One Wax as U Dry. I was a little skeptical at first but I tried it on my daily driver (Grand Prix GXP) and my wife's Geo Tracker and was very impressed. I used to hate washing my Camaro because then I would have to dry it and then go over the entire car with Wizards mist and shine to give it the extra shine and freshly waxed feel. Here are the things I like most about the Wax as U Dry:

1. It actually helps you dry the car off faster after washing it and rinsing it.
2. You can spray it on the entire car and it DOES NOT turn plastic or rubber parts white or leave any wax residue on the plastic. I even wax all of the windows.
3. It works well on leather tops too because my wife's car is a soft top Geo Tracker and I spray it on that and it makes it nice and shiny and the water runs right off it then.
4. It's way faster than traditional waxing and the end result feels just as good.
5. It's easy enough and fast enough that you can wax your car everytime you wash it to keep the wax job fresh. I can wash and dry/wax each of my cars in less than an hour.

You can find the product at many car parts stores in the smaller bottle to try it on one of your daily drivers first.

Between using the Wax as U Dry and Wizards Mist N Shine, my Camaro always gets compliments on how clean and shiny it looks. The water beads up and runs right off the car. Since I wax the windows I can even drive in the rain without using the wipers (acts like rain X).

Just a friendly suggestion to help speed up the detailing process. I'm sure there will be people that will disagree with me but that's fine, I've tried it and I think it works great.
But you still need to clean (swirl remover) and polish the paint atleast twice a year

41 - 60 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.