Modern Camaro Forums banner
61 - 80 of 94 Posts
But you still need to clean (swirl remover) and polish the paint atleast twice a year
If you use the proper towels (microfiber) and use proper cleaning methods, you will greatly reduce the swirl marks in your paint so you don't have to worry about swirl removal twice a year. I have only had my Camaro polished once by a professional detailer with a buffer to freshen the paint up after being 8 years old and he said there were hardly any swirls in the paint, which he says is a testament to how well the paint has been cared for. Granted, I don't drive my Camaro every day and it is stored in the winter, but everytime I drive it in the warmer months, I always clean it and detail it after driving it. I don't always wash it but I always use a duster and my mist n shine to quickly clean road debris off and those pesky bugs. I also don't use chamois or water blades or cotton on my car either. I have found that chamois are a good culprit to putting swirl marks in your paint because they do not lift dust particles up off your paint when you are drying, they just smear them around causing swirl marks. I use large microfiber towels to dry it with and smaller ones to do the detailing.
One thing I have learned though...everyone has their own system for detailing so as long as it's a system you believe in and works for you...that's all that really matters.

Discussion starter · #62 ·
another way to prevent swirl marks is to NOT go through machine car washes with the spinning brushes and with people who use those brushes to prep the front and rear bumpers before entering! :no:

since i live at an apartment, i will either go through a touch free wash with a dryer at a gas station or go to a self wash with the pressure washer and drive around on a cloudy day to help dry it. then i use my 100% plush cotten towel with the seams cut off to do the final drying. no swirls! :thumbsup:

another way to prevent swirl marks is to NOT go through machine car washes with the spinning brushes and with people who use those brushes to prep the front and rear bumpers before entering! :no:

since i live at an apartment, i will either go through a touch free wash with a dryer at a gas station or go to a self wash with the pressure washer and drive around on a cloudy day to help dry it. then i use my 100% plush cotten towel with the seams cut off to do the final drying. no swirls! :thumbsup:
use a real chamoise. dont use a cotton towel. youll get scratches much quicker than using a real chamoise. synthetic chamoise are even better than a towel.its all in the amount of pressure applied when washing and drying also.

Discussion starter · #64 ·
use a real chamoise. dont use a cotton towel. youll get scratches much quicker than using a real chamoise. synthetic chamoise are even better than a towel.its all in the amount of pressure applied when washing and drying also.
just checked it, and i thought it was all cotton when i bought it but its not. i think its microfiber, but it is really soft and fluffy, i cut the edges off, and it works great. no scratches or swirls. it's about the size of a regular bath towel, but i got it at pepboys in the car care section.

its called a Peak Super Absorbent Drying Towel

just checked it, and i thought it was all cotton when i bought it but its not. i think its microfiber, but it is really soft and fluffy, i cut the edges off, and it works great. no scratches or swirls. it's about the size of a regular bath towel, but i got it at pepboys in the car care section.

its called a Peak Super Absorbent Drying Towel
I concur, a good microfiber cloth works really well as long as you keep it dust and dirt free, and you can wash them with the rest of your laundry when it does get dirty (not sure you can do that with chamoise). Target sells both detailing and drying size in 3-10 packs.

watch when washing micro fiber towels. they tend to pick up alot of debri in the dryer. i made the mistake of washing my microfiber towels with regular laundry and they picked up all kinds of lint from the other cloths. its hard to get the crap out once its in.

watch when washing micro fiber towels. they tend to pick up alot of debri in the dryer. i made the mistake of washing my microfiber towels with regular laundry and they picked up all kinds of lint from the other cloths. its hard to get the crap out once its in.
Good points. I've washed by drying towels along with shirts and pants (not cotton terry towels and the like). The detailing cloths I wash in the sink.

OMG i spent about 6 hours this weekend detailing my Camaro! talk about a major PIA! i was getting her ready for spring and decided to do a full detail.

this is what i did:

0.5 hrs washing
1.5 hrs paint cleaner
1.5 hrs polishing
1.5 hrs waxing
0.5 hrs interior detail
0.5 hrs in between it all drinkin beer making sure i got every nook and cranny!

if you think you can do it faster with the same quality, and without wearing out your arms, please indulge us!
i definatly cannot do it in less time and make it look that well..that looks brand new!! very good job

Micro fiber towels need to be wash seperate with no softner (they do make a micro fiber detergent) and air dryed if you use the dryer it will cause static.

For drying, I've tried the various ways mentioned here. But this is the absolute best thing I have used for drying, EVAR!! The Absorber from Autozone (and other places), I went with the truck size. One pull across any amount of water on the car, and that area is bone dry, no streaks. It has cut my drying time from 20 minutes to about 5.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/accessories/accProductDetails.jsp?displayName=Cloths,TowelsandChamois&itemId=1078-10&navValue=101078&parentId=&productId=200030&fromString=&itemIdentifier=200030_0_0_&filterByKeyWord=&categoryNValue=&store=1319&skuDisplayName=27x17in.theabsorberchamois&categoryDisplayName=WashandWaxAccessories&_requestid=1812753

For drying, I've tried the various ways mentioned here. But this is the absolute best thing I have used for drying, EVAR!! The Absorber from Autozone (and other places), I went with the truck size. One pull across any amount of water on the car, and that area is bone dry, no streaks. It has cut my drying time from 20 minutes to about 5.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/accessories/accProductDetails.jsp?displayName=Cloths,TowelsandChamois&itemId=1078-10&navValue=101078&parentId=&productId=200030&fromString=&itemIdentifier=200030_0_0_&filterByKeyWord=&categoryNValue=&store=1319&skuDisplayName=27x17in.theabsorberchamois&categoryDisplayName=WashandWaxAccessories&_requestid=1812753
Sounds like their version of the Sham-wow. Remember the Sham-wow guy?

i had one of those and i hated it. it gets full of water way too quickly and doesnt pick anything else up. it just smears the water around. ill stick with my real chamoise.

61 - 80 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.