Modern Camaro Forums banner

Detailing a Camaro is a Major PIA!

8K views 93 replies 29 participants last post by  RedJewel2SS 
#1 ·
OMG i spent about 6 hours this weekend detailing my Camaro! talk about a major PIA! i was getting her ready for spring and decided to do a full detail.

this is what i did:

0.5 hrs washing
1.5 hrs paint cleaner
1.5 hrs polishing
1.5 hrs waxing
0.5 hrs interior detail
0.5 hrs in between it all drinkin beer making sure i got every nook and cranny!

if you think you can do it faster with the same quality, and without wearing out your arms, please indulge us!

#2 ·
Not sure I could do it in less time, shoot, I'd probably need more time to do a less good job. I do know one thing. I'm ready for the weather to break and be able to take the time to try though. I really did enjoy cleaning it every Friday night and Saturday afternoon last summer:5go:

Your car looks pretty terrific, that's for sure.

#5 ·
^ true dat. i think motorcycles are the worst.

but srsly, the Camaro is one of the easiest cars we have to detail. older cars with lots of body molding, chrome, trim pieces... now those are a PITA! with the smooth body lines and lack of body cladding, Camaros are a breeze compared to other cars. the Camaro even has easy-to-clean wheels where you can reach your hand in and get the inside of the rim too.

it's definitely gratifying after spending all that time detailing tho :D :D :D

#7 ·
Only .5 hrs on the interior? It'd probably take me .5 hrs to do the back seats. I've also learned to detail only in broad daylight. Under garage lights, your perfect job will be exposed in the daylight as a bunch of missed spots and unevenly applied conditioner.

#8 ·
Any post detail pics? :thumbsup:
When the weather here was nice for a couple of days, I took Cammy out of storage to start her up and give her a quick dust off.
Here is a pic from that day......(sorry for the i-phone quality)

Attachments

#14 ·
I've been looking for this thread! LOL

I have to break it up into two days also. This car is big so there's lots of area to clean.

The parts that drive me crazy are:

1. The pointless gridwork just under the painted portion of the back bumper... I use q-tips inside a microfiber towel to clean the water and dirt out (20Min) then another (20min) to apply the rubber and vinyl protectant.

2. The back window area at the inside bottom! I had at it several times and it's still not clean. I have an idea I'll try next time... I'll let you know if it works.

3. wheel wells... they get so dirty it takes an hour and a half to clean em, and apply rubber & vinyl protectant ( I waste a bunch of towels on this )

4. Under the hood water spots on painted and plastic surfaces. not sure if it just this part of the country or not, but those are tough to remove if they've been there for a few days. Scratch-X works great on the windows... with a little muscle, or by masking off rubber and paint and using a DA buffer.

I'm hardcore about keeping my car perfect, so I would love it if there was a forum dedicated to tips and methods for detailing the Camaro.

Maybe there already is..... I'm new here so point the way :)

#33 ·
I've been looking for this thread! LOL

I have to break it up into two days also. This car is big so there's lots of area to clean.

The parts that drive me crazy are:

2. The back window area at the inside bottom! I had at it several times and it's still not clean. I have an idea I'll try next time... I'll let you know if it works.

I think Mother's needs to come out with a power cone for cleaning Camaro rear windows!

#17 ·
RedJewel2SS,
Did you wet sand and buff your car, or is that just polished? If it looks that good in the photos, I can imagine what it looks like in person!:thumbsup:

My paint has slight blems from the factory. I see them as birthmarks and didn't want the dealer to repaint them.

However my good friend owns a body shop and I watch him scuff cars with 1500 grit and buff them out. The difference is amazing. I might just do that if the car has enough clear on it?

Randy

#23 ·
no wet sanding. i figured i would try and steer clear from that as long as i own the car, and just keep it really clean and protected. i did find 2 fisheyes in the paint as i was doing it.

anyone know how to get rid of fisheyes in the paint with out painting over it?

#18 ·
I can beat all of yall on MAXIMUM Cleaning a Camaro lol This next weekend I got a indoor Car show to attend. I'm taking my 69.

Thursday the doors open at 11 so I gotta get the car there by 11am and finish doing the final cleaning

Friday I gotta be there by 4 to do last minute touches and the doors open to public and show starts at 6pm

The show is from

Fri 6 to 10
Saturday 10-10
Sudnay 10 - 10

This has been a cleaning job that takes removing the wheels detailing EVERYTHING :lol: I spent 90% of this weekend plus parts of this last week after work and dont mention Tomorrow night , Tuesday night with Wednesday night being a night to get everything together.

I keep my 69 clean already as it is however just from driving it down the streets the car gets very dirty.

#29 ·
yeah, getting ready for those "white glove" type of shows takes a few days. detailing under the car is a major PITA which is why my Firehawk is NEVER driven in rain. dirty rain water just makes it that much worse.

a typical detail takes me 5-6 hours, but a white glove detail takes a few days for sure.

#25 ·
I love detailing Bumblebee, he gets all exited specially when I do the polish follow by the waxing, ummm he loves the vibrations. I takes me all morning to get it right and I must have already like 6 layers of Pure Carnauba Wax on it. I always start with the wheels and under carriage, then I continue on the top and work my way down. I also use my quick detailer to finish it off with. Bottom line is my Bumblebee is free of swirl marks and fine scratches. It pays off.

#37 ·
I spent 4 hours on Sunday - wash, towel & blow dry, Adams haze & Swirl remover, put on with PC, hand buff. Then a layer of Zaino #2 polish, put on with PC, hand buff, to top her off - wheels included. Also Zaino on the tires. She looks purty! :) Unfortunately, she's parked outside every day, under a car canopy, covered ;)

Can't image a white glove detail! But that would be nice to do!

I love how she looks when done...

#38 ·
What I have been using on cars is HONDA SPRAY CLEANER AND POLISH. I started using it when I had bikes. I even had a Ducati 996 in for service at a Ducati only dealer and they were using it . I got to thinking, why not try it on the car. People around town remarked how good my 2004 Mustang looked and I believe the shine helped to sell it. I can't wait to put it on the Camaro!:D

#51 ·
Did you mean stripes? I cut and installed my own stripes from Avery Premium matte vinyl. When waxing the paint, I mask off stripes with "3M Blue masking tape".
When cleaning the actual stripes I use the hydrophobic instant detailer. The instant detailer doesnt cloud the vinyl, and gives the stripes an even finish.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.