Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Did the Chevy Volt lose its mojo en route to reality?

YES

and yes we can go on and on about aero.. but for it to be a true icon it should have been a home-run

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
i would rather it be **** sexy AND get 40miles

i still think it CAN be done..
The ungainly proportions of the Volt don't make it any more aerodynamic.. since when did large frontal areas and tall side windows make a car MORE aerodynamic??

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Did the Chevy Volt lose its mojo en route to reality?

YES

and yes we can go on and on about aero.. but for it to be a true icon it should have been a home-run
I agree. I think it is an important product for GM and if they price it right, should do well but it could have been the first electric car that didn't look like an electric car. Now it looks like a small 4 door Acura.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
I don't care. I think the Volt is sexy in every way. Loads better than the concept, and a whole lot better than anything Conda or 'yota could ever pump out. Plus, the volt is said to be rated @ 100 MPG.

·
See You On Course
3,867 Posts
Unfortunately, concepts don't have to follow rules, regulations, accessibility, functionality, and all that good stuff. You rarely see a concept that can be produced.

Luckily, the Camaro concept was built with production in mind, but the Volt wasn't. It was built with futuristic appeal in mind.

Too bad they had to dumb it down so much, though. Car companies still worry about appealing to everyone's grandmother when it comes to designs.

·
Supporting Super Moderator
5,668 Posts
I like the production style better.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
People have lost site of what a "concept" really is. Concept is a vision. It's someone sitting down and coming up with an idea that MIGHT be feesible to some extent, but in the end, it's just a CREATIVE VISION. It has little to no basis on what is ACTUALLY possible. They didn't introduce a "proof of concept" or a "pre-production" Chevy Volt, they introduced a concept to gauge reaction to an IDEA. I think too many of you are focused on the visual and not the basis of the idea. A sustainable, mostly electric car that is a Hybrid of a completely different breed than any car that anyone else is offering. I find it completely ludicrous that many of the people who are saying "it looks too much like a Malibu" LAUDED the looks of the Malibu when it was released.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I really don't care that it doesn't look like the concept. I thought the concept was kind of ugly to begin with, and I think the subdued lines were necessary for this to sell. That's the only real important factor, it needs to live up to its functional hype so it will sell.

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
I think GM did a good job on the Volt. I know they have to get it into production 1st to keep from being an "also ran" in the car world.

It looks much better than the Prius. IMO Keep that battery technology improving and then we can possibly see some sportier designs.

·
See You On Course
3,867 Posts
Chrysler has actually jumped into the lead with this, because they have 3 to choose from, the EV (Elise looking thing), Wrangler 4-door, and a minivan, all using this same powertrain. Luckily they didn't do a Neon type car, or that could have hurt the Volt's sales.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
Chrysler has actually jumped into the lead with this, because they have 3 to choose from, the EV (Elise looking thing), Wrangler 4-door, and a minivan, all using this same powertrain. Luckily they didn't do a Neon type car, or that could have hurt the Volt's sales.
I think that press release was more or less a ploy to keep Cerebus stock up. I don't think they're close to having anything ready to go. I could be wrong, but if they'd made a major deal on batteries or components, someone would have known something by now.

·
Registered
382 Posts
one problem.... As I understand it... All the chrysler cars are pure electric, not plug-in hybrids like the volt. So I think GM has still got the lead, because the volt will have a better overall range.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
I don't like how the production version has headlights that look like they're from a Honda Civic or Acura.

If I had photo shop skills, I'd create a concept called the Chevy Bolt. It would be a mid to full sized car and have headlights (maybe tail lights) in the shape of a lightning bolt and the logo would look really cool too. It's just something I've imagined in my head, but am unable to do.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
Only thing I'm not a fan of is the fake grille.
If you don't need a grille, get rid of it, cleaner lines that way.
I think people would be confused or turned off if they removed such a big design cue as the upper grill. It would be too different.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts