Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I was rear-ended on my way to BBOMG with the end result being they had to replace the rear bumper cover among other things.

Fast forward to today...I decided to swing by the dealer where my car is and it is sitting outside with everything done so I stop to look at it and without even getting out of my car, me and my wife immediately notice the orange peel all over the back bumper. Upon closer inspection, I see dirt in the clear coat as well.

I stop in to talk to the body shop guy and he said the car is done a ready for clean up. I asked him about the orange peel and his reply was "...and its not a factory paint job now!" He then goes on to say that its difficult to get an orange peel free paint job outside the factory. Ummm, I have seen plenty of after market, orange peel free, paint jobs.

I have yet to talk to the body shop manager but at this point I am not going to accept the paint job as it is.

I knew I shouldnt have taken it to a dealer for the repairs! :angry:

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I hate to point this out, but are you willing to pay for the hours of hand labor it will take to get rid of that orange peel and have a dirt free clear coat?

Paint booths in the factory are nearly hermetically sealed and are almost static free. They have environmental control systems in them that are almost what you find inside a nuclear submarine. The paint is applied by robots and is negatively charged and the car is positively charged so they don't have to hand work the finish to get out orange peel.

I've yet to see a paint booth in a dealership or aftermarket shop that is that advanced. They simply can't afford to have that clean of a setup for paint when they are only painting a small car part or a single car in a month. Hence the hours of wet-sanding by hand to smooth out the peel, then more hours of work by hand to lay and clean up the clear coat.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Sorry about your problems. And you're absolutly right not to accept the paint job as it is. I had to have my entire car repainted after an accident. I was lucky to find a place (definitely not the dealer!) where they love cars as much as I do and took pride in their work. The result is not equal to factory, it's far superior to the original. So your paint guys statements are complete :dropbricks: If there's a car club near you, get some recommendations from them. Good luck and keep us posted.

BTW, you can get an idea of the quality of the paint job by looking at the August car in the ModernCamaro.com calendar for 2011 ... you can view the calendar pages by checking in the ModernCamaro.com Store.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
depending on how bad the trash in the paint and orange peel are, those can be completely corrected with wetsanding/polishing. if they can do a good job on that, your paint will end up looking smooth as glass and totally awesome... just make sure they have someone who knows what they are doing. an inexperienced person can ruin your paint. we have painted a few of our cars and brought orange peel to a mirror finish. don't stress just yet :D good luck

·
Bully Proof
7,086 Posts
Like you...I made the mistake of choosing my dealership to paint my hood, deck lid, spoiler and other miscellaneous parts...and like you...my dealership fell far short of my expectations. Since I paid for my paint job in advance...I had nothing to hold over them to get satisfaction and eventually walked away disappointed. But the dealership's General Manager (not the P&B manager) did do the right thing and refunded all of the money I spent at their paint and body shop. So now I have my car at a paint shop that specializes in show cars and I'm hoping for a much better outcome. [URL="
[/URL]

Looking at pictures is certainly no way to judge a good paint job. Just look at my car in the 2011 calender...the picture looks great but the paint job sucks. After 9 months the paint on the hood began to crack in various spots and last month the dealership paint started bubbling up and peeling off my roof ditch moldings. [URL="
[/URL]

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
I had to have some parts of my G5 repainted because of paint defects (bubbling up). The one time I'm glad it's black..because it looks pretty much exactly the same as factory(hard to mess up black). The clearcoat on the top part of the passenger door isn't 100% perfect..but you have to be staring up right at it to notice anything.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Basic consumerism, if you pay for a service and are not happy do not pay. Sorry to hear something bad has happened to your baby. I for one have started to feel what a new parent feels like as I am so protective of my first ever new car.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE...went over a took a closer look at the car and orange peel it the least of my worries.

1. Looks like a paint brush bristle in the paint next to the brake light.
2. Plenty of dirt in the paint...not the clear.
3. Body lines where the cover meets the quarter panel has a bigger gap on one side than the other.
4. Inconsistent coverage in a small area.
5. Big glob of paint in one corner.
6. Missing paint in another corner.

I can hardly wait to go see them tomorrow.

I cant believe that a shop would even consider letting this sort of work go out the door!

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Never, ever have your car painted at a dealership..........NEVER!
I disagree - We painted an IOM front clip, and it was better matched than the factory one that was on it, with no issues.

The other thing is, it is a dealership, they report to Chevrolet....
Make it clear you want it redone - if they don't comply, call the 800 Chevy customer service line and file a complaint.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles. There are good dealerships that will do a good job painting your car. I've had paint work done at my local Chevy dealer and they did an acceptable job. I've also had several cars painted by an old highschool buddy and he did amazing work. Its a matter of pride in workmanship and desire to keep loyal customers. It also helps if the paint dept mgr cares about the work going out the door. Sounds like the guy you talked to doesn't care much. Sad to say but there are more people who don't care about quality than those who do care.

Have them do it again and tell them they will keep doing it until it's done right.

Best of luck to you on this one.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Could also be the moron not the equipment where the problem lies.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The body shop called me this morning and they are going to take the bumper off and repaint it.

I cant believe they didnt decide to do that before they reinstalled everything as I know the defects were pointed out long before that...sometimes there is no pride in work!

·
Registered
897 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear about your issues, sounds like a complete idiot painted your car though. There should be no brush bristles in your paint, automotive paint is primarily a spray on application. I don't think its fair to judge all dealerships, I'm sure there's some good ones, but I would do some background checks on their history with painting, its a very specialized skill.

·
Support MC & Troops
11,804 Posts
Painting is an art all on its own, some may have it, while others don't !
Dealers, paint department; these are skilled/professional people in general & high end equipment,
not low end (!), IMO the manufacture proses is unbeatable "its meant to be flaw-less !",
custom shops, means quality work, but they can still have defects in their work,
it all depends on who's doing the work & the pride they do in their work IMO.
The big thing here is a quality paint job, all shops must fallow a guide line & rules,
as a customer you always have rights & a voice, tell them to make it right or
make a complaint to GM & or the B.B.B. if nothing gets done, not done right or
its not what you were told and or to your expectations,
stand your ground & be reasonable but demand quality too, hope that helps ?

Keep us updated & let us know the outcome please,
good luck & we truly hope it works out for the best at the end :thumbsup:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
220 Posts
If a insurance company paid for it you should get them involved. The adjuster will be more familiar on if the paint job is up to industry standard. Insurance companies don't like to have unhappy customers or claimants when they paid good money to get it done right.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am giving them a second chance...after that, I will get my insurance company involved!

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Sounds like to me the dealer did rush job on it. I have some paint work done at my dealership and painters have inspected it and have said it looks dam good. not one fish eye , tape line or orange peel in the whole thing.

Looks dam near factory if not better.

I would pull the dealer to the side and said ughhhh NO redo please.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Sorry to hear about the troubles. Like Envy said, seek a shop that does restorations work.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I disagree - We painted an IOM front clip, and it was better matched than the factory one that was on it, with no issues.

The other thing is, it is a dealership, they report to Chevrolet....
Make it clear you want it redone - if they don't comply, call the 800 Chevy customer service line and file a complaint.
From what the OP said, I would not expect a do-over to be acceptable. In this case, he would probably do better to get a refund and take those funds to a good body shop. That place doesn't do good work and makes excuses for it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts