Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
xxSkullZxx
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I was wondering for those of you who have the automatic transmission how much you drive your Camaro in manual and use the paddle shifters? I use the manual mode almost all of the time as it definitely seems to give the V6 a more powerful feel.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Exclusively! And from day one... My car may have spent all of about 52 seconds total in D so far. :lol: I do use S when drag racing as the shifts are always done at the exact same rpm and may be a tad quicker than when in M, though it is hardly discernible with my current tune....

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I had a rental for like 2 weeks a little over a year ago. And I tried driving it in manual. But I kept forgetting and without the clutch I was completely uncoordinated. For me it was too weird. So I just kept it in regular driving unless I wanted to get on it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
been there, done that, didn't like it....

I've got the paddles on mine, but to be honest, just like someone else stated....I found it awkward at best, because there is not a clutch to push in....and a lot of times i would forget to use the paddles, luckily the car is smart enough to shift if you forget, otherwise i probably would be replacing an automatic transmission....So 99.9 percent of the time i use D for "DRIVE"

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Occasionally I will, but not very often ... like others say, it is a little awkward in that you have to keep both hands on the steering wheel the whole time, which I seldom do. With my driving, mostly highway, there isn't much shifting anyway

·
Registered
510 Posts
I drove the auto with the paddles once and I hated it.. It's so awkward especially going around corners and trying to use the paddles.. not my thing. I prefer my manual lol.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I don't think so

Guys I was wondering for those of you who have the automatic transmission how much you drive your Camaro in manual and use the paddle shifters? I use the manual mode almost all of the time as it definitely seems to give the V6 a more powerful feel.
xxSkullZxx,

I admit I don't but it's nice to have the option if necessary. The V-6 has all the power I need cuz it has more HP than my old 01' Durango 4.7 liter!!!!:thumbsup:

Mail Clerk

·
Registered
170 Posts
I do occasionally but find it somewhat difficult to shift when turning corners. Also, in the city it seems like all you are doing is constantly shifting so most of time I just drive in automatic.

·
Support MC & Troops
11,787 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Sometimes.

·
Premium Member
8,645 Posts
I drive mine all the time in "M" mode and rarely use the paddel shifters... :D

You don't have to use the paddels in "M" mode if you dont want to

·
Premium Member
4,374 Posts
Exclusively! And from day one... My car may have spent all of about 52 seconds total in D so far. :lol: I do use S when drag racing as the shifts are always done at the exact same rpm and may be a tad quicker than when in M, though it is hardly discernible with my current tune....
Chuck and I are so much alike ...it's scarey!:lol:

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I use it (M) off & on, mainly on straight roads, its a PITA to use in town/city !
Not pickin on you hotrod, just a general observation. ;)

I keep reading all these replies that it is too hard or this or that... :confused: Seriously? All it takes it a little thought about how you place your hands and just like a manual, you should be done messing with the gears before the corner. As for shifting thru/in a corner, again, it's all about hand placement or wind the gear out a little longer to get thru the corner... You can always start in 2nd to avoid a mid corner shift from a start...

Just like anything else, if you do it more you "could" get better at it... :D But then again, just like riding motorcycles, some just aren't cut out for it....

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
I drive mine all the time in "M" mode and rarely use the paddel shifters... :D

You don't have to use the paddels in "M" mode if you dont want to
How his different from putting it in "D"? Does it shift differently then? A little higher rpm shift? Doesn't it just basically shift to "D" and run basically the same way? Just wondering/?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts