Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're the owner of a Japanese or European vehicle thinking of trading it in for a Ford, GM, or Chrysler vehicle, we'd like to hear your reasons. Does the crisis facing U.S. automakers influence your buying decision? Are you feeling pressure from friends or family to buy American next time?

More...

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
I really don't like the looks of the Japanese cars. If Toyota was building the Camaro and Chevy was building the scion, I would be driving a Toyota. I like to support American manufacturing whenever I can, but as many here have pointed out, even alot of chevy's aren't built in America anymore, including the Camaro.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
8,984 Posts
I never feel pressure for doing the right thing.

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
No pressure here. I try to buy American based products whenever possible.

4 GM cars currently in drive and more to come.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
I really don't like the looks of the Japanese cars. If Toyota was building the Camaro and Chevy was building the scion, I would be driving a Toyota. I like to support American manufacturing whenever I can, but as many here have pointed out, even alot of chevy's aren't built in America anymore, including the Camaro.

The profits still stay with us (GM). That's sort of like people who buy an import and try to justify it by saying that it is built in the US - the profits go back to the country that homes the manufacturers HQ.

I feel no pressure to buy American aside from the pressure I put onto myself. I am proud to have only ever owned American cars. I plan to continue as long as they keep making them :patriot:

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
The profits still stay with us (GM). That's sort of like people who buy an import and try to justify it by saying that it is built in the US - the profits go back to the country that homes the manufacturers HQ.

I feel no pressure to buy American aside from the pressure I put onto myself. I am proud to have only ever owned American cars. I plan to continue as long as they keep making them :patriot:
No, the profits, if there are any, go to investors wherever they live, or they may be reinvested in the corporation. GM wanted to use 1 billion dollars of our taxpayer bailout money to invest in their brazillian assembly plant!? Thanks to treaties such as NAFTA we live in a global economy now, I wish what you believe was true but its not. Corporations only care about the bottom line and if waving the flag increase's it, they will do so. Generally speaking, unless it is made in America it doesn't help Americans, no wages, payroll taxes payed, ect... Although there is a chance someone from Canada may vacation here or buy an American made product, Americans would do more financial good for our country as a whole, by buying a Toyota made in America.

·
Supporting Super Moderator
5,668 Posts
Americans would do more financial good for our country as a whole, by buying a Toyota made in America.
Why do you think that?
Maybe a few Toyotas have a large part of there content from here, but not nearly all of them and they are not the highest content either.
Code:
US-Assembled Cars  	Percent US/Canada content  	Name  	Corporate Profits
Ford Econoline 	95% 	USA 	USA
Lincoln LS (production ended April 2006) 	90% 	USA 	USA
Ford Escape 	90% 	USA 	USA
Mercury Mariner 	90% 	USA 	USA
Ford Ranger 	90% 	USA 	USA
Cadillac DTS 	90% 	USA 	USA
Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra 	90% 	USA 	USA
Mazda Tribute (Ford) 	90% 	JAPAN 	JAPAN
Mazda B-Series (Ford) 	90% 	JAPAN 	JAPAN
Lincoln Town Car 	85% 	USA 	USA
Mercury Mountaineer 	85% 	USA 	USA
Ford F-Series 	85% 	USA 	USA
Chevrolet Colorado, GMC Canyon, 	85% 	USA 	USA
Buick Rainer, GMC Envoy, Chevrolet TrailBlazer 	85% 	USA 	USA
Isuzu Ascender (GM) 	85% 	JAPAN 	JAPAN
Dodge Viper 	85% 	USA 	GERMANY
Isuzu i-Series (GM) 	85% 	JAPAN 	JAPAN
Toyota Sienna 	85% 	JAPAN 	JAPAN
Dodge Grand Caravan – SWB 	83% 	USA 	GERMANY
Chrysler Town & Country – SWB 	82% 	USA 	GERMANY
Chrysler Sebring convertible 	82% 	USA 	GERMANY
Jeep Wrangler 	82% 	USA 	GERMANY
Ford Five Hundred 	80% 	USA 	USA
Ford Expedition 	80% 	USA 	USA
Ford Explorer 	80% 	USA 	USA
Ford Freestyle 	80% 	USA 	USA
Lincoln Mark LT 	80% 	USA 	USA
Cadillac CTS 	80% 	USA 	USA
Pontiac Solstice 	80% 	USA 	USA
Chevrolet Corvette, Cadillac XLR 	80% 	USA 	USA
Chevrolet Malibu, Pontiac G6 	80% 	USA 	USA
Cadillac SRX 	80% 	USA 	USA
Dodge Caravan – SWB 	80% 	USA 	GERMANY
Toyota Camry 	80% 	JAPAN 	JAPAN
Toyota Tundra 	80% 	JAPAN 	JAPAN
Dodge Durango 	79% 	USA 	GERMANY
Dodge Stratus 	78% 	USA 	GERMANY
Mitsubishi Raider (Dodge) 	78% 	JAPAN 	JAPAN
Dodge Dakota 	77% 	USA 	GERMANY
Chrysler Sebring 	77% 	USA 	GERMANY
Jeep Commander 	76% 	USA 	GERMANY
Mercury Montego 	75% 	USA 	USA
Chevrolet Uplander, Pontiac Montana SV6, Saturn Relay 	75% 	USA 	USA
Chevrolet Cobalt 	75% 	USA 	USA
Honda Ridgeline 	75% 	JAPAN 	JAPAN
Honda Pilot 	75% 	JAPAN 	JAPAN
Toyota Avalon 	75% 	JAPAN 	JAPAN
Toyota Corolla 	75% 	JAPAN 	JAPAN

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
No, the profits, if there are any, go to investors wherever they live, or they may be reinvested in the corporation. GM wanted to use 1 billion dollars of our taxpayer bailout money to invest in their brazillian assembly plant!? Thanks to treaties such as NAFTA we live in a global economy now, I wish what you believe was true but its not. Corporations only care about the bottom line and if waving the flag increase's it, they will do so. Generally speaking, unless it is made in America it doesn't help Americans, no wages, payroll taxes payed, ect... Although there is a chance someone from Canada may vacation here or buy an American made product, Americans would do more financial good for our country as a whole, by buying a Toyota made in America.
Are you serious?
Buying a Big Three vehicle would support atleast twice as many jobs (per levelfieldinstitute.org) than ANY Toyota.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Are you serious?
Buying a Big Three vehicle would support atleast twice as many jobs (per levelfieldinstitute.org) than ANY Toyota.
To all the people trying to smoke me on this thread, IMHO if you have ever shopped at Walmart you are a chinese communist lovin, anti-American hippocrite and you know who you are.:lol:

Yea, overall buying GM will probably create more jobs in America at this moment in history, Model specific, I'm not so sure. But give management some time and see what happens. I don't see any evidence of corporate patriotism in our Country because it doesn't exist anymore. Your brainwashed if you think it does.

I go out of my way to support American industry whenever I can, not because I feel pressured but because I know we are struggling as a country to maintain a living wage and if we don't stand together now we will hang alone later. I want my fellow Americans to have good jobs but its going to take a lot more vigilance than just buying American brand names. Heck, I went to buy a pair of Harley Davidson riding boots at my local Harley dealer a couple of weeks ago, and there it was plain as day on the inside "Made in China". I put them back on the shelf and will eventually write a letter to management expressing my disappointment.

And finally, not that it makes me any more deserving of the made in America label, but I spent 12 years in the armed forces of this country and have done things for it that put my patriotism beyond your right to question, so bite me!:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
dbotsfordtat, what computer are you using to type these posts? I'm pretty sure it was made outside of the US. What brand television and home theater equipment do you use? Not trying to bash, just being realistic. Today's world is a global economy and it's not going to change in our lifetime. If you feel you're doing your part by putting those boots back on the shelf, then more power to ya, brother.:rolleyes:

And, no I won't bite you.

·
I paid $5 for this title!
645 Posts
I currently own a Japanese car, like European cars best, but will likely be getting an American car next.

It's pretty simple, really: my parents are Toyota people because of their reliability and economy, and my Camry was driven by both of them before they handed it down to me. I'm European and of European driving mentality, so I like things made in Stuttgart, Munich, and Sant'Agata Bolognese best. ;)

And the Camaro just so happens to be an American car, so that's why I plan on buying American.

No pressure. If the companies can't compete, then they fail, and it has nothing to do with whether they're domestic or not. It's called a free market economy. It looks like the Big 3 are doing slightly better lately (especially GM), and I'm personally quite happy about that (no GM = no Camaro), but I don't feel obligated to bail them out. I won't be buying the plethora of boring, uninspired, and questionable-quality cars they all make just 'cause they want me to. I might buy the good stuff, though.

The choice for my next car will largely be a direct result of which way my career goes when I'm done with college. If I can afford a BMW M3, I'll buy a BMW M3. If I can afford a Porsche 911 Turbo, I'll buy a Porsche 911 Turbo. Those are my two favorite cars and they take precedence over even much more potent machines. Everything else is up for debate.

The Camaro is high on my list because the SS will be a ridiculously good deal at $35k. Alright, so it won't be a Porsche or a BMW, but the build quality will be plenty solid for me, so I'm not concerned, and for $35k you can only have some much elegance and stateliness. At this point the only thing in that price range I'd consider instead would be a Mitsubishi Evo X, and that's only if GM royally ****s up something important (like handling) with the Camaro, which seems quite unlikely.

In the end, my wallet is pretty free market. Products I want are the products I buy, whatever the flag. It just so happens a returning true American icon looks to be a killer deal overall. :thumbsup: :bowtie_gold:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts