Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
It's not street legal because it wouldn't pass federal emissions (appears to be carburated) or safety standards (no airbags), for a vehicle built in 2008 or 2009.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not street legal because it wouldn't pass federal emissions (appears to be carburated) or safety standards (no airbags), for a vehicle built in 2008 or 2009.
It's fuel injected, those blue things are fuel rails.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
If I got one, I would just find a wreck V6, strap it, use the vin plate, and register in one of NC non-emission counties as Kit car using a V6 as a donor. And proceed to use it as street car. 3100lbs and a new 6.1 sounds badass.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Haven't we known about his package?
No I think this is different, there was a "race" type package, but that was more of an appearance package if I remember correctly. I'll have to go check out the website again, it was in the brochure.

·
Premium Member
9,152 Posts
No I think this is different, there was a "race" type package, but that was more of an appearance package if I remember correctly. I'll have to go check out the website again, it was in the brochure.
Nope, the drag pack was always more go than show.

This is very cool :cool:

·
Registered
897 Posts
Nope, the drag pack was always more go than show.

This is very cool :cool:
Oh the drag pack, that's what it was called, but that's not what this is, is it:confused:

I thought the drag pack was still a streetable version. Well either way, it would be great if the Camaro had something similar come out in the next couple of years.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
The article states that 1000 pounds were shed by removing certain systems. Too bad they couldn't do that for the street!:lol: This car is the Kirstie Alley of pony cars!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
A little more detailed information about it.

"Mopar's modern factory-prepped Challenger Drag Race Package Car will begin as a special Body-in-White (BIW) from Chrysler's Brampton, Ontario, Canada, assembly plant. The body sealer, sound deadener and undercoat will be eliminated. To reduce vehicle weight, major production component and systems will also be eliminated including: windshield wiper assembly, complete HVAC system, all airbag components, rear seats, power steering system, exhaust system and underbody heat shields, cross-car and side impact door beams, rear bumper beam and rear deck lid spoiler.

A build book/owner's manual will be provided to document the modifications made to the Challenger SRT8 as well as provide recommendations to finish the Package Car for Stock Eliminator competition. To accentuate weight savings, there are unique drag-race components in the Package Car program including: composite lift-off hood with functional scoop, Viper-style front seats, polycarbonate door windows, lightweight cooling module with electric fan, manual rack and pinion steering, special cable-operated deck lid release, special lightweight front brake assembly and special cable-operated throttle linkage and pedal assembly."

"Big Daddy" Don Garlits ran a 11.24 second run out of it at Bandimere Speedway in Colorado last week.

·
Registered
897 Posts
11.24, that thing can't run superstreet. They should put a disclaimer, "with modification the car can race in the following classes...."

1 - 19 of 19 Posts