Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a K & N cold air intake. the car was ran on a dyno Sunday. the guy running the dyno says the K&N is robbing me of 12 rwhp. I paid 300 bucks for this thing and now i'm afraid i wasted my money. has anyone done a before and after test on the K&N cold air? i believe it's the 63-0374

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
The 63 series? What Camaro do you have? Did you do a before and after dyno? WHat actual hp/tq did you make? I doubt you are losing 12 hp with the K&N. But I need to know more details.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I purchased a K & N cold air intake. the car was ran on a dyno Sunday. the guy running the dyno says the K&N is robbing me of 12 rwhp. I paid 300 bucks for this thing and now i'm afraid i wasted my money. has anyone done a before and after test on the K&N cold air? i believe it's the 63-0374
theres no way that could be possible lol

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have the 2010 1SS 6 speed LS3. the guy didnt run a fan in front of my car during the dyno. I questioned that but he ignored me. my car put down 290 rwhp. Very disappointing!! Once he told me about that i told him he was wrong. Then he said well if we had the factory set up here we would run it again to show me he was right. So i went home, reinstalled the factory set up and went back to the dyno. he wanted to charge me for a second run! i do know this, the factory set up with a k&n filter will average 24.3 mpg at 60 mph no a/c... the K&N cold air will average 27.3 at 60 mph with a/c on! i've tested that!! my 86 Iroc put down 279.4 rwhp. just wondering if someone else has installed this set up and if he/she lost any ponies?

·
Registered
670 Posts
I doubt you lost HP from the K&N system over your stock. The stock box is very restrictive. Because of heat soak, the car can make less power than expected with the stock tune even with an aftermarket intake.

My dollar bet would have been if you dyno'd the car with the stock box, it would have made less power.

Keeping the apples to apples. If the car was hot, pulled right into the dyno bay, no additional airflow and did a couple pulls, your numbers would be lower because in stock configuration, the PCM will pull 4-6 degrees of timing based off your IAT tempertures.
Phil
Tampa Tuning

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
yea tell him to use a fan, idk any tuner that doesnt lol

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He wasnt tuning it. I was at a car show and it was a dyno challenge. It was just a waste of money!! I'm re-installing the K & N tonight after work. A FREAKING STOCK Challenger put down 326 rwhp. Then a 2011 mustang 5.0 with a tune and exhaust put down 467!! WTF!! My car has the 3" american thunder flowmasters with the K & N COLD AIR. Frankly i was embarrassed, and kinda pissed!! i was expecting at least 330 rwhp.
I live in South Carolina and I cant find anybody around here who tunes these cars. If i owned a Mustang i could go to any corner and have it tuned.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
He wasnt tuning it. I was at a car show and it was a dyno challenge. It was just a waste of money!! I'm re-installing the K & N tonight after work. A FREAKING STOCK Challenger put down 326 rwhp. Then a 2011 mustang 5.0 with a tune and exhaust put down 467!! WTF!! My car has the 3" american thunder flowmasters with the K & N COLD AIR. Frankly i was embarrassed, and kinda pissed!! i was expecting at least 330 rwhp.
I live in South Carolina and I cant find anybody around here who tunes these cars. If i owned a Mustang i could go to any corner and have it tuned.
yea that sucks, he still should have turned the fan on

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Sorry didnt mean to rant. But there was a crowd of people who gathered around my car and that was it, 290 little tiny horses!! I love chevy but i'm dissapointed in the numbers.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
If i owned a Mustang i could go to any corner and have it tuned.
But then you would only have a Mustang (no offense to you all with Mustang's, I just had to say it)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree but they seem to kick butt. I feel like I'm back in the 80's. Lots of talk from GM but Ford is out front. However its hard to believe 290 rwhp can push my car to 140mph in 4th gear easily.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I agree but they seem to kick butt. I feel like I'm back in the 80's. Lots of talk from GM but Ford is out front. However its hard to believe 290 rwhp can push my car to 140mph in 4th gear easily.
Theres no way ur car should be at 290 rwhp, a stock LS3 M6 should be in the mid to high 300s

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
mpb74, trust me, your car has way more hp and tq than that. First off, I'd like to see the graph. So if you can post it then do that then I could probably see what the problem is. Second, what was your tq? And what RPM did the power come at? Did the guy have the fan on for the other cars?

Now let me get real for a second. There is no way that your LS3 put down 290 hp while a Coyote with an exhaust and tune put down 467. Something is off here. And I'm willing to bet that if the Mustang really did have only an exhaust and tune, then the dyno is spitting out very inaccurate and unreliable numbers.

If for some reason it wasn't the dyno, then like was mentioned before, the problem was heat soak. How much of a cool down time was there in between runs? And for the record, how many runs did he do on your car total?

Now here is something else I need to know. How long have you had the car and what kind of gas have you been putting in it? If your tank is full of 91 or higher octane, then you may need to do a fuse pull. I hesitate to recommend this because I'm pretty sure that the LS3 engine does not go into limp mode like the L99 engine. But you may want to do it anyway. Go under your hood and pull the #5 and #20 fuses. Let the car sit overnight. Then re-install the fuses in the am. See if your car feels any different.

And sorry for bombarding you with all the questions. But I need to know all these things in order to find out exactly what went wrong. If you give me answers then I can point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Is it possible that the guy/gal running the dyno is a Ford fan and could have "adjusted" the output?

·
Registered
334 Posts
I doubt you lost HP from the K&N system over your stock. The stock box is very restrictive. Because of heat soak, the car can make less power than expected with the stock tune even with an aftermarket intake.

My dollar bet would have been if you dyno'd the car with the stock box, it would have made less power.

Keeping the apples to apples. If the car was hot, pulled right into the dyno bay, no additional airflow and did a couple pulls, your numbers would be lower because in stock configuration, the PCM will pull 4-6 degrees of timing based off your IAT tempertures.
Phil
Tampa Tuning
This^^^

·
Registered
334 Posts
Do you happen to live near myrtle beach? If so, take a ride up to National Speed in Wilmington,NC. They do good work.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts