Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just made 840 miles my ss a6 and I just noticed a sound that I hadn't noticed before. The sound seems to be from drivers side head. sounds almost like a tapping rocker. Is this a normal sound I have just missed or is this out of the ordinary?

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this was the first time I had noticed it and it was as I was parking it in the garage after a long ride. I just started it up again after a few hours and it is not as loud but it is still there.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Mine has a slight tick to it, but my 01 SS did too. I have been told this is common with the LS engines. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
engine

my 2003 gmc truck did the same thing the service dept. said with engine being all aluminum parts wind engine warm up it stop

·
Registered
43 Posts
sounds like a tractor running take it in an have it looked at sounds really bad or get a loud stereo or exhaust so you dont here it

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
anyways im really not looking forward to the trip to the service dept. but tomorrow is my day off. better safe then sorry.

·
Registered
262 Posts
My car does have a lifter noise. It comes and goes. Sometimes cold, sometimes hot. The dealer says it's nothing to worry about. My 07 Suburban does the samething but only when it's cold and been sitting for a while. 400 miles on the Camaro and 9000 on the Suburban. I guess this is why we have warranty.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I took it in and the tech explained it as being the coil packs firing and said that everything was fine... so Ill drive it like I drive it and if something is wrong ill find it befor the warranty is up :0)

·
Registered
53 Posts
The frequency seems too rapid for a lifter unless it were multiple. I haven't seen the engines up close and running with covers off but it sounds more like check valves, etc. than a lifter. I am not too confident in the coil pack explanation.....

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah the guy in the service dept assured me that If it was any tapping or knocking the engine knock sensors would be lit up so I shouldn't worry... He also mentioned how the camaro runs on 60+ psi in terms of fuel where as an average car runs on 35 to 40 psi. Im not sure if he was saying this contributes to the noise or if it was just a fun fact lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I HAVE THE SAME TICKING NOISE ON MY CGM2SS/RR L99, I ALSO THOUGHT IT WAS A LIFTER ISSUE, I WENT TO TWO DEALERS AND BOTH SAID IT WAS EJECTOR NOISE. I`M NOT SURE I`M SATISFIED, I WANT TO HEAR OTHER L99`S

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
My car does have a lifter noise. It comes and goes. Sometimes cold, sometimes hot. The dealer says it's nothing to worry about. My 07 Suburban does the samething but only when it's cold and been sitting for a while. 400 miles on the Camaro and 9000 on the Suburban. I guess this is why we have warranty.
I have lifter noise, but it's not the same as what this guy's describing. It only occurs once, after about 10 minutes of running from a cold start, then I never hear it again, until the next cold start.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I HAVE THE SAME TICKING NOISE ON MY CGM2SS/RR L99, I ALSO THOUGHT IT WAS A LIFTER ISSUE, I WENT TO TWO DEALERS AND BOTH SAID IT WAS EJECTOR NOISE. I`M NOT SURE I`M SATISFIED, I WANT TO HEAR OTHER L99`S
Fuel Injecter noise? That's what I suspect.

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts
I have lifter noise, but it's not the same as what this guy's describing. It only occurs once, after about 10 minutes of running from a cold start, then I never hear it again, until the next cold start.
Yep, my 2000 LM7 5.3l GMC has it. 200K later still no issues :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts