Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm thinking about getting a drag only car (my z28) and I was wandering what all should I do/get. I know that I would be gutting all the interior and I think I'll rattle and spray over the fire damage. I'll use my dad's truck to tow it but I need to get a trailor and get racing equiment/clothing. What else should I need/expect? Also I think I'll going to one of the tracks that I found out that is somewhat close. If I go through with it, I'll be selling my daily and get a v6 5 spd for cheap and mod it a little.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
So I'm thinking about getting a drag only car (my z28) and I was wandering what all should I do/get. I know that I would be gutting all the interior and I think I'll rattle and spray over the fire damage. I'll use my dad's truck to tow it but I need to get a trailor and get racing equiment/clothing. What else should I need/expect? Also I think I'll going to one of the tracks that I found out that is somewhat close. If I go through with it, I'll be selling my daily and get a v6 5 spd for cheap and mod it a little.

it really depends on how fast you'll want be running. Will you be keeping the stock drive-train? You might just need a helmet.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it really depends on how fast you'll want be running. Will you be keeping the stock drive-train?
Yeah and I'm not going to be doing much to it as of right now.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Yeah and I'm not going to be doing much to it as of right now.

Then just make sure it'll pass track safety inspection, put a helmet on and go racing. You may eventually need a drive-shaft loop or some other safety items...but it really depends on how fast you'll be running.

I could be wrong, but you shouldn't be going fast enough (yet) to need a harness or rollcage or anything crazy like that. A pair of slicks would be nice though so you can launch it hard.

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
You'll need an SA2005 helmet just to get on the track. You won't need any race approved 'clothing' unless you're using power adders like nitrous or some type of forced induction. Just make sure the car's suspension and brakes are up to snuff and have fun. Like PowerFreak said, if you can get some drag radials that would really help the launch. You won't need a roll cage unless you're running 11.49 or quicker. Anything you can do to lighten the car without sacrificing safety will benefit your ET's.

Have fun and let us know how you do.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Then just make sure it'll pass track safety inspection, put a helmet on and go racing. You may eventually need a drive-shaft loop or some other safety items...but it really depends on how fast you'll be running.

I could be wrong, but you shouldn't be going fast enough (yet) to need a harness or rollcage or anything crazy like that. A pair of slicks would be nice though so you can launch it hard.
K. Thanks for the help.

Has anyone been at the Chandler, IN, Terre Haute, IN, Lyon, IN, Freedom, IN, Benton, IL, Owensboro, KY, West Point, KY, Hardinsburg, KY, Clarksville,TN, or the Nashville,TN track?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You'll need an SA2005 helmet just to get on the track. You won't need any race approved 'clothing' unless you're using power adders like nitrous or some type of forced induction. Just make sure the car's suspension and brakes are up to snuff and have fun. Like PowerFreak said, if you can get some drag radials that would really help the launch. You won't need a roll cage unless you're running 11.49 or quicker. Anything you can do to lighten the car without sacrificing safety will benefit your ET's.

Have fun and let us know how you do.:thumbsup:
I might be able go to watch next weekend. Where can I get that helmet at?

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
I might be able go to watch next weekend. Where can I get that helmet at?

I'd say going once or twice just to watch is a good idea. I'm sure you can get a helmet from one of the sponsors here...probably just need to measure your head.

Also make sure the car has no leaks...tracks don't like that.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd say going once or twice just to watch is a good idea. I'm sure you can get a helmet from one of the sponsors here...probably just need to measure your head.

Also make sure the car has no leaks...tracks don't like that.:rolleyes:
K and I'll make sure it doesn't have leaks.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was wandering, would some 4th gen v6s out run 3th gen v8s?

·
Supporting Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
the 4th gen 3800 series 2 v6 is very able to beat some of the 3rd gens with 305s

·
Banned
7,873 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Since I got to thinking since my car is a v6 and saw stock it should put 200hp and with my mods I estimate I shoud be in the range of 230 -250. Grant it that it is a 97 but according to wikipedia, it has more hp than this 84 firebird that I am looking at according to wikipedia. Grant it that they are 13 years apart.

·
Supporting Super Moderator
5,668 Posts
I was wandering, would some 4th gen v6s out run 3th gen v8s?
I had a 2000 3.8 Vert that ran 9.45 1-8th mile all motor with boltons and it ran 8's IIRC 8.7 on a small shot of nitrous.
Its on my fquick page.

I race at Music City Raceway in Nashville TN. The 3.8 is what I started racing with and Now I have a 98 LS1 that runs low 7's. I assume you want to bracket race.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts