Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scott Kalitta, a two-time former NHRA Top Fuel champion and one of just 14 drivers to have won in both of the NHRA's nitro categories, died Saturday as the result of injuries suffered in a qualifying accident at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park in...

More...

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
WOW...RIP.:eek:

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
If you saw the film footage, it was terrible. God bless the Kalitta family.

·
Registered
330 Posts
thats horrible :(

did anyone else notice how short the sand trap looked at the end of the track? need to add anotheer 100 ft or more. and move or remove the far wall. that alone could have saved his life. even at 300+ when you hit the sand, your not going to go too far. but when you can bounce over it...

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
I can't believe they still have the sand trap so short at that track.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Which Im sure after this event, NHRA will require track that hold those reace event to have longer sand pits

·
Registered
50 Posts
Actually with the speeds the Nitro classes are running these days, the NHRA needs to evaluate some of these old tracks. For example, the pavement strip at RT.66 in Joliet Illinois is actually a half-mile long, then you have the sand trap. In Kalitta's case, he might have survived had this mishap happen at RT.66, or The Strip in Vegas, etc.

·
Registered
620 Posts
very sad day, it was hard to all the drivers talking about him, they all were tearing up that makes to grat people lost this weekend.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
You should see the sand trap at our local track. Its about a car and a half long and then there is a cliff.

We are not going quite as fast being its a 1/8th mile track, but some cars do go pretty quick even in this short distance and there is not much of a shut down area. I am only doing about 100mph, but I have to slow down pretty quick to stop in time. There is not much time to get it stopped if you had a problem and it wouldn't stop. You would have to make your decision pretty quickly in order to get stopped.

·
Capt Bob-Supporting Membr
366 Posts
Very sad, and hard to take when young kids are left behind.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yeah I was there on Sunday, when he was supposed to race his team stood in the empty lane and the other car slowly rolled down the strip

1 - 19 of 19 Posts