Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Camaro SS stability control will have a track mode, a performance mode and a setting that fully disables stability and traction control. Stability/traction control for all Camaros can be fully disabled, but Camaro SSs with the six-speed manual also get a launch control feature.

The different modes are cool but is the launch control just drive by wire like the GTO has? Cause that isn't so great.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
God I hope not. The RAM is "drive by wire" and I hate not having immediate throttle response. God dammit, if I put my foot down I should be going sideways and burning off as much rubber as I want.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I hate hitting the gas pedal and what you are actually doing is asking the computer permission to go faster.:mad::mad:

Like Devryn said, I pushed the pedal for a reason don't ask, just do.

·
Registered
199 Posts
yeah the first car I drove that was drive by wire was a mercedes C230 "loaner".. my car was getting services I HATED that car! At every start I would FLOOR IT and the car didnt move.. I had MUCH higher expectations from a mercedes - never owning or driving one before.. total turn off!!:BangHead::BangHead:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I dont have an issue with it as long as you can turn it off with a "ASR" button or something. It sounds like you are talking about something different tho...

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
I dont have an issue with it as long as you can turn it off with a "ASR" button or something. It sounds like you are talking about something different tho...
Not sure what an 'ASR' button is, but if you're asking about turning off the drive-by-wire, then the answer is "no, you can't".

You either have drive-by-wire or you have a cable.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
I wouldn't mind drive by wire if #1, you could completely disable all traction control, and #2, there wasn't any hesitation...The RAM hesitates likes a mofo.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not sure what an 'ASR' button is, but if you're asking about turning off the drive-by-wire, then the answer is "no, you can't".

You either have drive-by-wire or you have a cable.
My 02 SS had an ASR (acceleration slip regulator) button on the dash. When it was on (by default) and the tires started to spin the computer could "push" the gas pedal back at you until the wheels got traction again. Sucked when you would dump the clutch to do a burn out or get out into traffic and forget it was on. :BangHead:

·
Registered
275 Posts
From my experience, launch control is a button you turn off or not engage in the first place. Top Gear often refers to it as "the button that makes all the people around you think you know how to drive". (I'm not referring to the drive by wire, just launch control.)

I found this forum:
http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=98504

Where I found the following video. Though the car in the video is a ford, the gearbox appears to be a Tremec6060 (after some googling-verification). This video demonstrates the car's launch with and without launch control:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A66GJ-hgcK8

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There wasn't much of a difference :confused:
And the tires didn't start spinning till the car was in the move. Maybe it was the slick painted white stripe that cause it to spin :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
I have ASR in my 94 vette. It sucks. I turn it off everytime I get in the car. It didn't even help when it snowed. Backing off the accelerator is not a way to get traction.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I love how DBW throttle bodies have gotten the stigmata that there is some kind of lag between the pedal and the throttle body opening. There isn't. However there is lag felt on some vehicles, on the car before last I owned that was DBW throttle, it had lag, but it also had a 26 lbs flexplate on a little 3.0L V6 that barely made over 190 ft-lbs at the motor. There was also an issue with the factory presets on fueling and some weirdness in ignition timing witnessed through a Snap-On MT2500, that was also factory preset.

But I could of been ignorant and just blamed it on that blasted new technology like my grandmother used to blame everything on when it didn't work right. Using two cameras synced up, I proved there was no delay or lag or processing time from when the pedal was pressed to the floor and the throttle blade opening to WOT.

Consider it a blessing that there are no more cables to bind or break and that it provides an overall cleaner look to the engine bay.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
I love how DBW throttle bodies have gotten the stigmata that there is some kind of lag between the pedal and the throttle body opening. There isn't. However there is lag felt on some vehicles, on the car before last I owned that was DBW throttle, it had lag, but it also had a 26 lbs flexplate on a little 3.0L V6 that barely made over 190 ft-lbs at the motor. There was also an issue with the factory presets on fueling and some weirdness in ignition timing witnessed through a Snap-On MT2500, that was also factory preset.

But I could of been ignorant and just blamed it on that blasted new technology like my grandmother used to blame everything on when it didn't work right. Using two cameras synced up, I proved there was no delay or lag or processing time from when the pedal was pressed to the floor and the throttle blade opening to WOT.

Consider it a blessing that there are no more cables to bind or break and that it provides an overall cleaner look to the engine bay.
I'm not sure that your experience can be classified under every Drive by Wire system. The Hemi RAMS have a huge problem with lag, that can be completely removed with a proper computer tune. The lag is a part of the traction control program.

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
Guys and gals, DBW is not the evil technology that's here to steal your throttle response. It's quite advanced, with only a few exceptions experiencing a lag. There are a lot of parameters that can be changed with a car's tune (short term/ long term fuel trims and spark advance to name a few) that will enhance throttle tip-in if desired. I stand by this technological movement, and nobody can change my mind!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm not sure that your experience can be classified under every Drive by Wire system. The Hemi RAMS have a huge problem with lag, that can be completely removed with a proper computer tune. The lag is a part of the traction control program.
Which again proves my point, that it is not the DBW itself, but factory presets on fuel or timing maps.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So turning launch control on might be a preset in the computer to create "lag", with DBW, off the line to help keep from wheelspin?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A "heavy flex plate" would cause a slower rev not a delay in the rev.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts