Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dropped by the local Dodge dealer today with his gleaming red Dodge Challenger on display mostly to take a peek at the Camaro's competition (if there really is any). The first thing that I noticed was that the car definitely had the "musclecar" look. Very clean lines on the outside. BUT, the interior of the car said anything but "musclecar". Very plain Jane...almost utilitarian to a degree. And they were asking $41.5k for a 5.7 R/T version. :eek: I finally asked the very nice but full of bull salesperson why I should consider his car rather than wait for the Camaro and he said (not making this up!) "Well, the Challenger has been out on the market longer and the colors available on it are better." He then started mumbling something about it being available in Petty Black. At that point I left the lot....I really don't see what folks are paying for...

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
:eek:$41.5!?:eek: dayum if you said a srt8 i'd kinda believe you but i've only test driven a v6 se version and the 6 is seriously underpowered mainly due because of the weight of the car. if it weighs as much as the cammy or stang i would be slightly more inclined to consider it more but you just don't realize how BIG the car actually is until you drive it

·
Registered
247 Posts
I saw nearly 10 of them in Va. Bch. and it was totally boring on the inside. No match for the outside at all. THe colors did look good, but not remarkable in any way. They were asking in the 20's, and 30's but none in the 40's. The prices were actually impressive, too bad the interior was so poor as was the mileage. The clown at that dealership you mentioned is way overpriced, considering the market and all. They need to get a grip and take a look at the news once in a while. Surprisingly, what I love most, a stick shift, was not an option on any of them! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......:confused::screwy:

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I saw nearly 10 of them in Va. Bch. and it was totally boring on the inside. No match for the outside at all. THe colors did look good, but not remarkable in any way. They were asking in the 20's, and 30's but none in the 40's. The prices were actually impressive, too bad the interior was so poor as was the mileage. The clown at that dealership you mentioned is way overpriced, considering the market and all. They need to get a grip and take a look at the news once in a while. Surprisingly, what I love most, a stick shift, was not an option on any of them! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......:confused::screwy:
actually you can get a straight shift with the pistol grip for i believe 2009my and 2010my

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
My best friend just picked up an 09 black SRT8 with every option and a 6 speed manual for $44,500. That is one bad ass looking car. It's a rolling spectacle. People stare and point wherever you go. It's crazy. For external (not interior) styling alone, the Challenger looks meaner than the new Camaro.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
well yes and no i mean...yes the cammy has less weight and more power than the chally but the chally just needs to drop a few hundred which can be done in various ways.all i'm saying it all comes to car and driver and who can maximize the potential of both will be victorious.you know i'm right lu

Hell a Lotus Elise which only has a measly 190hp can run circles around a vette on a track with the proper driver.Yes the vette has a better power to weight but as I said you can have more power and weight but it means nothing if you can't drive

Elise: 10.4 Lbs per Hp
Vette:7.34 Lbs per Hp

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
I have always wondered why dodge has to make there vehicles so dam heavy !!!!!!!
Back in the late 60's to mid 70's when the cuda , challenger and charger roamed the roads they had 440's and hemi's but weighed a Ton.
IF they would have only weighed less GM and Ford would probably
have had a tougher time with them when it came qtr mile times.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Dropped by the local Dodge dealer today with his gleaming red Dodge Challenger on display mostly to take a peek at the Camaro's competition (if there really is any). The first thing that I noticed was that the car definitely had the "musclecar" look. Very clean lines on the outside. BUT, the interior of the car said anything but "musclecar". Very plain Jane...almost utilitarian to a degree. And they were asking $41.5k for a 5.7 R/T version. :eek: I finally asked the very nice but full of bull salesperson why I should consider his car rather than wait for the Camaro and he said (not making this up!) "Well, the Challenger has been out on the market longer and the colors available on it are better." He then started mumbling something about it being available in Petty Black. At that point I left the lot....I really don't see what folks are paying for...
Thats what I thought about the interior. But if the Camaro doesn't get built the Challenger is my next choice. Even with the crappy interior and weight the car looks good.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
I can tell you that the weight of the car detracts from the feeling of acceleration. One thing that will be interesting to see is if the Camaro SS has the road manners that the Challenger SRT8 does. The car rides nice. Other Camaros that I've owned or driven were rough.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I test drove an RT stick last week. It weighs 4160lbs :BangHead:

the dealer I went to had about 10 on the lot and was selling for MSRP or below. the outside was awesome, but the inside was crap. that was a big turnoff. not just the design, but the colors were terrible... nothing matched. The pistol grip shifter was surprisingly fun to drive with though.

as far as speed, it wasn't all that fast. you could certainly tell it was one heavy car.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Due to the weight..it probably had one hell of a smooth ride.
I'm a little older and appreciate a smooth ride and have found that in the real world i'm rarely stomping on it. Another good reason to make the Dodge my fall back in the unlikely event the Camaro doesn't happen.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts