Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure if this has been talked about yet or not, if it has please direct me to the thread and close this one. So if GM’s big push if for E85, is if safe to assume that the CAMARO will get an E85 version, after all the Vette has one, leno has one that was built by the GM race team and just about every model in the GM coral has a flex version….you thoughts.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
I hope there is a top model E85 version.

I don't think the Vette has a flex model, only prototype or show cars.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope there is a top model E85 version.

I don't think the Vette has a flex model, only prototype or show cars.
oh, so the E85 on the nose of the Indy Pace Vette is there to "plug" the fact that GM wants us to buy it and supports it?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Does it have to say flex fuel or E85. I thought all of the new (last couple of years) cars could run E85.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Maybe I'm just a dumb New Yorker, but is E85 really that popular in the rest of the country? There isn't 1 gas station around here that has it...come to think of it, I can't say I've ever seen one that does.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes and no.
Yes, it's a marketing car, however that car really does run on E85.
oh ok, thank you for clearing that up, what do you think about this matter, is there a Possibility of us seing an E85 camaro?

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
I would bet there could be one. Especially with this being a totally new car, and the trend going towards really high gas prices. Plus, it would be a HUGE selling point over the Challenger and Mustang (like better performance isn't enough).

I certainly hope they do. I have one E85 station here in Wichita, and it's only 5 miles from my house. I would go there if I had the car that could use it.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Maybe I'm just a dumb New Yorker, but is E85 really that popular in the rest of the country? There isn't 1 gas station around here that has it...come to think of it, I can't say I've ever seen one that does.
I had the same question in another thread. I am in the Pasadena area (Rose Bowl) and the closest (and ONLY) E85 station is 23 miles from me. They are not big in California either:

1. Berkeley Berkeley National Laboratory Private
2. Carlsbad Shell Station 2741 Gateway
3. Livermore Lawrence Livermore National Lab
4. Lompoc Vandenberg AFB 1705 Air Field Road
5. Los Angeles Conserv Fuel 11699 San Vicente Bld
6. Oceanside Texaco 1660 Oceanside Blvd
7. San Diego Pearsons Fuels 4067 El Cajon Boulevard

For the Geographically challenged, from San Diego (southern most location) to either Berkeley or Livermore (northern most points) is 460 miles.

I would love to see E85 in my Camaro!

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
The milage would suffer, so any savings per gallon would be almost all lost in milage. (at least based on WI gas prices, we pride ourselves on having one of the highest gas taxes in the country!)

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Yeah, E85 only burns about 70-75% as efficient as gasoline, so the mileage definitely suffers.
However, E85 is also 105 octane, so perhaps there's a performance gain to be had?
But if E85 is a "renewable" fuel, then the cost should be cheaper ... unless they find another way to depress the economy!:BangHead:

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Yeah, E85 only burns about 70-75% as efficient as gasoline, so the mileage definitely suffers.
However, E85 is also 105 octane, so perhaps there's a performance gain to be had?
Only if an engine were built to optimize the 105 octane then yes there would a performance benefit (more boost, or nitrous, etc). As far as a flex fuel vehicle e85 would only use more product to produce the same result and would have virtually no performance gain.

·
Registered
544 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Same here in Central Florida, and we have relatively high volumes of traffic and fuel consumption. I have yet to see one station that supports it....

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Of course an E85 Camaro can be done.

Here are some interesting links I found that contain high-horsepower E85 engines:

How unique. 9 cylinders?!

http://horsepowersports.com/w9-nine-cylinder-e85-engine-project/

Jay Leno's 600 HP E85 powered Corvette C6RS:

http://jalopnik.com/cars/sema/sema-...te-c6rs-revealed-before-sema-debut-316031.php

1000 HP Turbocharged Viper that runs on E85:

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/0...1000-horsepower-e85-turbocharged-viper-i-tho/
Any car can be converted to use e85. It requires different parameters and more fuel (along with other hardware the e85 eats through) but it can be done. I can build a motor to run on e85 only that would outperform a gas engine on pump gas because I can run a much higher compression but it would no longer be able to safely run on gasoline and would use more e85 doing so.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
I plan on running my race car on E85 soon. I will probley up the compression too. It will have an E85 tune on it, bigger injectors and a fuel system that can handle it.

IRL cars use E100 which is 100% ethanol.

The new cellulosic ethanol plants opening should help with the distrobution problems and prices.

There is a problem though. There is money being spent to smear E85 and make it look bad in order to benifit those that do not want the change over to bio fuels. Among those that don't want the change are oil companies (duhh), extreme enviromentalist(they want to leapfrog this in an effort to go strait to electric cars), and a few others that have and an agenda to keep the change from happening. These people/groups try there best to spread untrue info about ethanol in an effort to smear it in Americans minds.

Here is some of the lattest news:
GM invests in 2nd ethanol company

Actual facts -- food vs. fuel

Indiana: 15 tons/day of municipal waste turned into 20MM gals ethanol/year

Company matches Coskata's ability to make cellulosic ethanol for under $1/gallon

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pumps are rare...

In TN, we have few E85 pumps. A few days ago, I saw something that made me laugh.

A fight nearly broke out because several people were waiting to use the E85 pump. Two ladies who were trying to pull up to it from opposite directions and they were furious with each other, yelling and shaking their fists and scowling... I thought it was gonna get ugly, but they backed down. Luckily I got to laugh that day.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts