Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hearing talk of changes to the car, like removal of the GM badges, adding back up sensors, and high wing spoilers. Also that the first 100,000 cars have a unique number. Do you think in years to come that the early cars will be at a premium?

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
IMO no.

I'm not going to pay more for a 2010 camaro because it has badges and no sensors on it compared to a 2011 camaro that doesn't have the badges, and has the sensors on it. (hypothetically speaking 2010 and 2011 camaros are same)

That's just silly.

·
Supporting Super Moderator
5,668 Posts
in 40 or so years I think they will be worth more because of that. That is for those that are kept completley original.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If the changes are on the later 2010 models is what I mean, not a 2011. I have a collector mentality in some things, cars included.:eek: Like "They only made X number of these early in the year". Can't wait to see if they go to the high wing spoiler.:p

·
Registered
12 Posts
Cars made these days will never be as highly sought as those from the 40's, 50's 60's and some 70's. The volume in which vehicles are produced today decreases the value, as well as plastic.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are correct. Let's say you are looking at a 2010 Camaro. I sure would like to have a 69 RS/SS too. 10 years from now these will be used cars.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
To a certain few, the idea of GM badging and no backup sensors MAY be more desireable although I can't see that as a huge "rarity" point. We could say the same thing about ours not having HUD up to this point. Big deal.

With a collector mentality, you may as well have a stock broker mentality with this car. Where the value of Camaros go is ANYONE'S guess. Like in the stock broker ads: "Past performance is no guarantee of future performance." If something happens and all Camaro production is halted forever right now, then I'd say yes. If they build them for the next 10 years...well, you see the fourth gens aren't too expensive at the moment for obvious reasons.

My uncle bought a new 69 Camaro SS when he got back from Viet Nam (When they actually advertised Camaros in magazines). He said he drooled over the ads and vowed he would buy a new one when he got back, IF he got back. But he thought it would be a 68. But he did get his new one. He said he ran the dog crap out of that car and him and his pals would go drag racing with it, and try to outrun cops, and had even popped it lightly on the corners a couple of times. At that time, according to his thinking, Camaros were Camaros, nothing super special, and they would ALWAYS be building hi-performance cars with V8s. Those were cars that were meant to be driven. That was the mentality. Later, he traded it for a slightly used 72 pickup truck. He said he certainly didn't view that car with any sort of collectibility in mind. And apparently, neither did the millions of owners of other old Camaros that met untimely deaths. He did mention if he could have known the 69s were going to be famous one day, he'd have kept the car and kept it mint. But 40 years ago, who knew?

In another 40 years, we'll see. I'll be dead by then most likely....

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I was back there! Wish I could go back, but not all the way to Vietnam.:lol:

I still have a 68 El Camino, 1 of only about 670 built like it. Special order, base model w/ L-30 327 w/powerglide, factory A/C, rally wheels.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I hope the new ones DO become classics...but I'm not going to hold my breath. This way WE can sit around and tell the stories of how we drove one off the showroom floor...

·
Banned
104 Posts
hi

Cars made these days will never be as highly sought as those from the 40's, 50's 60's and some 70's. The volume in which vehicles are produced today decreases the value, as well as plastic.
The technetronic on the cars has developed more than the old cars. But the quality decreased. This is the trend. No one can change it.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Speaking of differences, when I rented a yellow Camaro 2SS auto from Avis back in April or May from DFW Airport, it didn't have a passenger side vanity mirror.

My black 2SS Manual that I purchased the other day does have a vanity mirror on both the driver and passenger side. Was this a mistake or is this another way to tell an early car from a later one?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You reckon that somebody stole the vanity mirror from that rental?

You did the right thing, rent one first to see how you like it. I did that when I bought my Monte Carlo in 2003. My Jeep Grand Cherokee in 2006. But not for the Camaro. I just had to have one ASAP!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I mentioned before, I can't wait to see if they put high wing spoilers on late cars. If they do, I think the early cars would be more desirable.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I think I mentioned before, I can't wait to see if they put high wing spoilers on late cars. If they do, I think the early cars would be more desirable.
A cobalt would be more desirable than THAT abomination.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've never seen a U.S. production car since 1970 worth collecting until the latest Challenger and Camaro offerings. A 2010 mint Camaro will be a $40-80K collectible one day, probably not in my lifetime but it is the best thing offered since the year I was born. (Not including me) :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts