Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1 Of 1,107 1979 Special Edition W72 cars

A friend of mine put this on eBay this week :D

Here is your opportunity to own a very rare and stunning car. This is a prime example of an American icon. It features its original W72 TA 6.6 Pontiac 400 cubic inch engine mated to a 4 speed transmission with AIR CONDITIONING that blows ICE COLD!

This Trans Am is a very rare bird indeed. Less than 1% of the Trans Ams built in 1979 were Special Editions equipped with the most desirable W72 TA 6.6 Pontiac 400 cubic inch engine mated to a 4 speed transmission. Most of the Special Editions were equipped with the Oldsmobile 403 mated to an automatic transmission. There are a few Pontiac 301 automatics as well.

Ebay Link

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Sweeeeet T/A for sure. Not enough garage space, otherwise.....:cool:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Pontiac 400 = not good.......................................Oiling problems with those motor's.

My buddy had a 400 in his, numerous problems with the thing. He had 2 replacement motors put in it the 3 years he owned it..................just sayin'

BUT it looks Killer!!

just for the record, the 403 Olds motor would/will walk all over the Pontiac 400

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pontiac 400 = not good.......................................Oiling problems with those motor's.

My buddy had a 400 in his, numerous problems with the thing. He had 2 replacement motors put in it the 3 years he owned it..................just sayin'

BUT it looks Killer!!

just for the record, the 403 Olds motor would/will walk all over the Pontiac 400
We aren't talking about a daily driver here :D

·
Registered
179 Posts

BUT it looks Killer!!

I don't know, I used to own a pontiac 400 never had any problems. Motor had a crane fireball camshaft & torker manifold, headers, ect... Car would run high 12's 1/4 mile in an early seventy's G body. Was my daily driver also. I liked the fact they didn't use the intake manifold as a valve train cover, thought that was a better design than sbc. ;)

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts

BUT it looks Killer!!

I disagree, I have owned the following with the 400 and all were excellent
1968 Firebird
1971 Lemans Sport Conv.
1972 GTO
1974 Grand Prix
1977 Can Am
1978 Trans Am
All were numbers matching Cars.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Rare doesn't always mean desireable. Like a Pacer X. Unfortunately, IMO, Pontiac dropped the ball when they fuglied up the front end like that. Otherwise, it's a nice looking car. But not nice enough for me to want one.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts