Modern Camaro Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the ever increasing down turn in the economy and continual falling real estate markets / foreclosures how do you think GM will fair in sales?

What will GM due to entice buyers to purchase the Camaro?
Incentive packages and special financing?
I think GM needs to look into this before they go live with the Camaro in order to lock in target buyers like myself before auto sales slump even further on non essential items, such as a second vehicle.

The sale of any non essential item is going to be a hard sell in 2009/10.
Inflation is going to rise to an all time high and jobs and finaincial security is at an all time low.

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
Incentives will be in short supply at launch. Highly sought after models won't need incentives to move. It's not just GM, every car maker has been seeing shrinking sales. GM is bringing plenty of hybrid and flex fuel cars to the market. That's their solution to help consumers. The Camaro can be a primary car as easily as a 2nd car. Just depends on a person's needs.

I still say buy American products or from American based companies whenever possible. Keeping People working in the US keeps the economy strong.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Incentives will be in short supply at launch. Highly sought after models won't need incentives to move. It's not just GM, every car maker has been seeing shrinking sales. GM is bringing plenty of hybrid and flex fuel cars to the market. That's their solution to help consumers. The Camaro can be a primary car as easily as a 2nd car. Just depends on a person's needs.

I still say buy American products or from American based companies whenever possible. Keeping People working in the US keeps the economy strong.
What do you and GM see as "Highly sough after models?" anything can special ordered.

I agree GM is bringing on hybrid and flex fuels but unfortunately when compared to Japan they continue to miss the mark when it comes to fuel effeictenctly (come on 30 MPG? thats a joke, dont you recall that we were getting 40 MPG+ in the early 90's with the Toyota Corolla and Geo Metro, we went backward instead of forward in that regard). What I am getting at is GM needs to come on strong when it hits the market with the Camaro and really give people a "Solid" reason to buy American. I think GM believes that this is a no brainer and that the Camaro will be a home run but what I am saying is they are still the underdogs of the general car market. I have allot of co-workers and friends who I have tried to covert over to american make cars such as the Volt and other GM vehicles but time and time again they have effectively pointed out that Toyota and Honda's new hydrogen car (that is already available in SoCal) is exceeding all possible future efforts of the Big 3. Yes GM is doing better but I think they will find out that its far little to late, unless they come on with a strong new game plan starting with the Camaro. I think the next 3 years will be do or die for all the Big 3.

I have always owned nothing but American but trying to get mainstream America who has become accustomed to Toyota and Honda will be a massive task

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
Top 10 Fuel-Efficient Auto Makers

http://autos.aol.com/article/green/_a/best-worst-automaker-fuel-economy/20080711132109990002

1. Mini - 27.66MPG
2. Honda - 23.81MPG
3. Chevrolet - 23.36MPG
4. Lotus - 22.33MPG
5. Volkswagen - 22.21MPG
6. Pontiac - 22.20MPG
7. Saturn - 22.14MPG
8. Kia - 21.80MPG
9. Suzuki - 21.77MPG
10. Toyota - 21.60MPG

On a fleet basis, the best performing manufacturer is BMW's MINI division, with three models averaging out at just over 27 mpg city/highway.

But fitting a family any bigger than two or three in the MINI isn't possible; Honda might be a more realistic choice, its 27 models average out at almost 24 mpg combined.

Domestically, the winner in average fuel economy is Chevrolet, its 88 models average a combined 23.26 mpg combined city/highway, only slightly lower than Honda's 23.81 mpg average.

What's more impressive is that Chevrolet's numbers factor in a full line of trucks, not the case with Honda (its only offering in that category being the Ridgeline).

GM quality is much better than the public perception as well. Getting past people with the closed "imports are better" minds is the biggest hurdle.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Top 10 Fuel-Efficient Auto Makers

http://autos.aol.com/article/green/_a/best-worst-automaker-fuel-economy/20080711132109990002

1. Mini - 27.66MPG
2. Honda - 23.81MPG
3. Chevrolet - 23.36MPG
4. Lotus - 22.33MPG
5. Volkswagen - 22.21MPG
6. Pontiac - 22.20MPG
7. Saturn - 22.14MPG
8. Kia - 21.80MPG
9. Suzuki - 21.77MPG
10. Toyota - 21.60MPG
These stats are great and I am glad to see Chevrolet as #3 but does this equate back to net sales? I'm not so sure because 90% of the cars I see on the road and parked at my company’s driveway are foreign, not American. Therefore that's my ultimate concern.

·
Registered
913 Posts
The only thing you MAY see at launch is reasonable financing 3.9-4.9%. GMAC can still make some profit on that and every little bit helps GM; 0% financing sets them back... If the car is priced "right" as we've been told it should sell itself. Dealer markup could really kill the launch though. GM doesn't get any of that and they really need to hit the market running with this one.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think GM might be over estimating the power of the Camaro, as it relates to sales in the projected "Hard Hit" economy of 2009/10.

·
Registered
46 Posts
(come on 30 MPG? thats a joke, dont you recall that we were getting 40 MPG+ in the early 90's with the Toyota Corolla and Geo Metro, we went backward instead of forward in that regard).
There is simple explantion for that. People keep whining about safety also, include with HP, effecintcy, and comfort. Itis all a balance. The cars that are build now are way heaver than they have ever been, and mostly is because all the saftey things jam packed into the cars. If they want MPG to go back up, simple just use lighter materials, like carbon fiber, how wait, that make them too expensive. Its a fine balance.

Perfect example, take vovlo, the star of saftey, infact the usually set the standers for other manufactures. Now look what they weigh in at, there frick'n tanks!

I'll have to look it up, I wonder what the weight differnce between a S80 and a metro is?

·
Registered
897 Posts
There is simple explantion for that. People keep whining about safety also, include with HP, effecintcy, and comfort. Itis all a balance. The cars that are build now are way heaver than they have ever been, and mostly is because all the saftey things jam packed into the cars. If they want MPG to go back up, simple just use lighter materials, like carbon fiber, how wait, that make them too expensive. Its a fine balance.

Perfect example, take vovlo, the star of saftey, infact the usually set the standers for other manufactures. Now look what they weigh in at, there frick'n tanks!

I'll have to look it up, I wonder what the weight differnce between a S80 and a metro is?
Great point, as I was reading the thread I hoped someone would bring it up, although you argued against your own point from your previous post, but I'll overlook that:)

I'm also constantly try to convince people that GM is now producing high quality, fuel efficient vehicles, but they don't buy it, its going to take a little longer for GM to shake the stigma they created for themselves in the 80's and 90's. Just because the foreign cars had good gas mileage last decade doesn't mean they still do, if you look at the numbers for the new hondas and toyotas, its on par with that of GM, I don't understand why everyone thinks they're all getting much better :screwy:

As far as hydrogen, that's never going to pan out, its way less likely than even biodiesel. The amount of energy just to make it is almost less efficient when viewed as a whole, and all biodiesel is going to do is raise the price of food. We're not saving anything with either of those. The answer is hybrids and electrics:eek: It pains me to say it but they are good things, they just need to quit wrapping up the power plants in such stupid looking vehicles (cough...prius...cough) and improve the battery technology (Volt;)).

The Camaro will do just fine, gas is falling, and the press its getting has been all positive, something that is very important. The word of mouth on this car is incredible and that's the key. Once people start test driving and buying, it will blow up.

Sorry for the long post, I had to vent.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Gas is falling because of an overall sentiment that the market is utter crap right now. The raw price of crude has not changed that much in the past few years. It's actually the speculators that are pushing prices up to make money.

Also, there is no such thing as a "better" car, much like how there's no "perfect" car. All cars are equal. Their perception is everything. Unfortunately, I think japanese imports are more reliable overall, domestics are cheaper to maintain, and european (luxury) imports give better status.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Great point, as I was reading the thread I hoped someone would bring it up, although you argued against your own point from your previous post, but I'll overlook that:)

Just curious on what point were you referring to that was a contradiction

·
8,984 Posts
:patriot:AMEN:patriot:

·
8,984 Posts
These stats are great and I am glad to see Chevrolet as #3 but does this equate back to net sales? I'm not so sure because 90% of the cars I see on the road and parked at my company’s driveway are foreign, not American. Therefore that's my ultimate concern.

Really? 90% Now that is a good statistic. So now you are arguing emotion instead of mere fact.

Hmmmm, did you know that Toyota recalled more cars last year than they sold in the past two?

Their quality is decreasing as they try to keep up with our selection.

Don't believe the hype their youngster.

·
8,984 Posts
YOu know what I love all of the Aholes posting on these boards about how much the American Economy sucks, how much American cars suck.

That is what I love.

Get the F out if you do not like it here. This thread, this city, this county, this state, this region, this country, this hemisphere or whatever you do not like.

Quit you FN whining.

****!

·
Registered
357 Posts
YOu know what I love all of the Aholes posting on these boards about how much the American Economy sucks, how much American cars suck.

That is what I love.

Get the F out if you do not like it here. This thread, this city, this county, this state, this region, this country, this hemisphere or whatever you do not like.

Quit you FN whining.

****!
You hit the mark, nobody forces anybody to live in the good ole :patriot: !!!
I think the new 5thGen Camaro is "Outstanding", I would'nt give a dam if it got 5 mpg hwy, 3 mpg city. I'm still buying one!!

Hell I take my 70 SS Camaro out on a Fri or Sat afternoon and burn through $50.00 like it's cool, because I want to, Prem gas at 5 to 7 mpg city depends on if my right foot is heavy that day. :cool:

One more rant! I have 13 deployments overseas, otherwards I've been around the world several times. My facts, there is no place on this planet "I" would rather be than "America"!!!! :patriot:

Semper Fi
Rick

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
54, don't get upset, bud. ;)

Not everybody will think like you and me. Just exercise your rights with the 'ignore feature' we have here.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
You know the Camaro is being built in Canada, right? :D

·
8,984 Posts
Canada is America Light!

·
Registered
897 Posts
Just curious on what point were you referring to that was a contradiction
Dude, I'm so sorry, I thought the first post of this thread was by you, it was by JVcmro though, my apologies. That's what I get for multi-tasking at work. Great points, I completely agreed. Please excuse my bone-headiness :BangHead:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.