Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chevy general manager Ed Peper says only the coupe will be offered for the first nine months of the model’s life, with a choice of a 400-plus-hp, 6.0-liter V-8 or a 300-plus-hp, 3.6-liter V-6. He said mostly V-8s will be produced, for enthusiasts eager to get their hands on the first ones off the assembly line.
I think the editor may have tweaked the actual words though.
Since the concept cars have the LS2, which is a 6.0L 400hp V8.
And we know how much the media likes to screw up and say that's the production engine.

To silence those who gripe about the debut of a new higher-performance sports coupe and soft-top convertible in the face of soaring gas prices, Peper pointed out that both engines will offer cylinder-deactivation technology
That's cool. So the V8 and the V6 will both have AFM. :cool:

Full article:
http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2008/03/2010-camaro.html

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol, I wouldn't take this as gospel.
The article says 6.0L 400+hp.
The only thing in existence that fits that is the LS2, which we know will not be in the car.

Plus, we don't know if Peper really said that, or if the article's editor just wrote it in... I'm thinking the latter, because Peper would not say that the production car is getting an LS2.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
lol, I wouldn't take this as gospel.
The article says 6.0L 400+hp.
The only thing in existence that fits that is the LS2, which we know will not be in the car.

Plus, we don't know if Peper really said that, or if the article's editor just wrote it in... I'm thinking the latter, because Peper would not say that the production car is getting an LS2.
Octane, I could see them tweaking the L76 up to 400hp. Its already at 361hp and 385ft/lbs, so a 400hp L76 is very possible.

·
Registered
39 Posts
that's great news

300+ horses is pretty decent for a startup 09 coupe 6 pack. i like the perfomance/benefit trade offs (lower overhead and respectable power output) and can wait for future considerations.. :confused: in a car like this.

the 400+ hp V8 option is really a starting point for the first year. i would guess (and seriously believe) that we'll see that number go way up in the future. the V6 makes sense to me now and i'll go with it to watch the future unfold in comfort and glory as (hopefully) it should!! :popcorn: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
146 Posts
I just don't see GM doing everything they can to make this concept as true to the original design as possible, then go and put the L76 in it when the LS3 is what everyone is screaming for and readily available.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
What displacement is the L76?

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
So if the hp can be over 400, then it's a possibility?

I want the LS3 though. Lemme say that again, in bold. I want the LS3.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
I want the LS3 though. Lemme say that again, in bold. I want the LS3.
ME TOO! If there's no LS3, I would consider waiting a year. I would be plenty pissed off if they release an LS3 version in the second year and I bought an L76 in the first year....like they did with the GTO. I'm sure the L76 is a decent motor...just not for my Camaro. I've read lots of great write-ups about the LS3...and that's the minimum my heart is set on. I'm not going to worry too much yet...so many of these little articles seem to be anything but accurate.

Although....it says both motors will have cylinder-deactivation...if that's the case, doesn't that rule out the LS3? (I could be mistaken).

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
A 300hp 6 cylinder is pretty sweet. That will stomp many stock import cars.

400hp and AMF is nothing to really be complaining about guys. We know that there should be something better coming out for the power hungry guys for sure.

There are so many LS based performance mods that just building the car and offering it solves most of the equation.

·
Registered
206 Posts
imo
i could care less if it came with a 4.8 with iron heads
i just want a blck v8 manual camaro, i got something lurking in my arsenal;)
just waiting for a new camaro

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think they have hit the nail in the head with the V6.

But I am a bang for the buck guy, so why on God's green earth would I buy the first year model with an L76 that is "tuned up" and watch the very next year come out with a "detuned" LS3....GTO all over again and I've been saying that from the get go! It's not the stock power I'm worried about...it's potential. LS3 > L76.....enough said.

Hell, I said it in my very first post. (Granted, it wasn't all that long ago)
http://www.5thgen.org/forum/showthread.php?p=32959#post32959

Man this is not good news. If I could throw poop through my computer onto this thread....I would.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts