Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title of the thread says, here's what was caught in my Elite Engineering oil catch can after 4000 miles of driving (6400 kms).

·
Support MC & Troops
11,804 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yeah, just think, all that ugly oil would have gone into your combustion chambers... (Doesn't really help performance at all :D )

Each engine configuration will determine how often to empty it.
Best to keep an eye on it, maybe empty it every 1000 miles, until you get a feel for how long you can go.
Usually you can do it every 2k miles or so; but don't wait too long, you don't want more of that oil to go down its throat!

Recently we did a L99 to LS3 conversion, having 21,000 miles on it. The customer never had a catch can installed,
and when we pulled the heads, there was quite a bit of carbon built up on the valves and pistons, at 21k :eek:
Needless to say, a brand new Elite Engineering Catch Can was immediately installed to resolve this problem in the future :thumbsup:

Pretty much every car that comes into our shop gets a new catch can.

All this oil not only contaminates the fuel ignition process (lowering power output), but it gums up the valves,
which will cause drivability issues in the future, such as valves not seating properly, causing misfires.
We have a great selection in stock ready to ship, for a great price!
We now have the updated Camaro SS kits, which mount them in a different cleaner location,
providing better durability, and use with various intakes and superchargers that wasn't possible before.

- Jeremy

·
Registered
358 Posts
Still waiting for my first drop of oil.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
The oil is supposed to be black! If you have clean oil after 4000 miles the oil is not doing it's job!

·
Registered
150 Posts
yea..i had about 1/2 that much at my first 1200 miles on my SS, ls3..

bud
You guys with those older Elite mounting rods using the battery cable bolt (I had one one too) should relocate with a different mounting device. There's a known issue with that battery cable bolt failiing because of the stress the extended rod places on it. I bought the tensioner bracket mount from Elite a few months ago for peace of mind.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You guys with those older Elite mounting rods using the battery cable bolt (I had one one too) should relocate with a different mounting device. There's a known issue with that battery cable bolt failiing because of the stress the extended rod places on it. I bought the tensioner bracket mount from Elite a few months ago for peace of mind.
Yep,You may wanna' change them over.....quick! :werd:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Elite has excellent customer service, and has a new hardened stud to replace the old one to prevent this problem; if you bought the catch can from us, you'll be receiving one at no cost to you.

Additionally, if anybody is interested in purchasing the new bracket which bolts to the tensioner, we have those as well.

Give us a call and we can hook you up!
- Jeremy

·
Registered
36 Posts
Is there any danger if you don't drain it in time or does it basically just continue to the intake like it would if you had none at all?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Sorry guys but I am not believing that with out a catch can that would have gone back it to the motor. That is way to much oil after 4000 miles. So after 12000 miles there would be 3 times that going back in to the motor That car would never make 50000 miles before it blew up the motor Sorry I don't by it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sorry guys but I am not believing that with out a catch can that would have gone back it to the motor. That is way to much oil after 4000 miles. So after 12000 miles there would be 3 times that going back in to the motor That car would never make 50000 miles before it blew up the motor Sorry I don't by it.
Where do you think it would have gone instead???!

It was trapped as it was being sucked into the intake. There is only one place for it to go and thats the intake and intake runners on the heads and valves and combustion chambers.

clean air routing has a lot to do with it as well.
Our can traps twice as much as the Elite can does. The Elite can is pretty but not very effective due to design when you get right down to it and compare it with other cans.

We did side by side testing and trapped about twice as much oil

·
Registered
425 Posts
Where do you think it would have gone instead???!

It was trapped as it was being sucked into the intake. There is only one place for it to go and thats the intake and intake runners on the heads and valves and combustion chambers.

clean air routing has a lot to do with it as well.
Our can traps twice as much as the Elite can does. The Elite can is pretty but *******. I said that looks like to much oil in that littel time ok

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Okay, now that I have seen this, I decided it was worth a read up ... seems like a mixed bag of opinions / facts on the site ... I'm wondering if those who say they are catching no oil have the "high end" or "low end" of catch cans ... anyone catching nothing have the elite engineering version? How does one evaluate a "catch can"? It seems like a good thing to me, but thought I'd ask some more questions. I will say I never heard of a catch can until I joined the site, with the exception of the old NASCAR "Catch Can"

1 - 20 of 24 Posts