Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Years ago I used to keep a roadside kit in the trunk of my Mustang. You know, just in case I was ever out and needed to make some quick repairs to get myself home. It consisted of a small tool kit, an extra accessory belt, the spare tire with jack, a flash light, a tire repair kit, some fix-a-flat, an ice scraper (for the cold months), a can of brake cleaner and WD40, some rags, and sometimes an extra quart of oil, a small bottle of power steering fluid, a small amount of coolant, and brake fluid. It sounds like a lot but it actually wasn't. And the little extra weight was nothing if I had some peace of mind. But eventually those items all slowly began to disappear to the point where I kept my trunk empty. Even the spare tire and jack were eventually removed. All in the name of going faster.

Sometimes I think back and wonder if I should at least keep a small tool kit in the trunk of my Camaro. I already always keep an ice scrapper and flashlight. And I haven't been stuck in the Camaro yet so I don't really think it is necessary. But when you mod a vehicle, things have a tendency to break. So I'm thinking about getting a small kit to keep on hand. Definitely not all the stuff I used to keep. But some emergency stuff for sure. So what do you guys think about this? Would you keep a kit in your trunk? If so, then what would it consist of?

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
This girl....NOT mechanically savvy...that's why I pay for AAA....AND my youngest is 25 and a KICKASS mechanic!!!!!!!

·
Support MC & Troops
11,799 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
The thing that worries me the most is the lack of a spare tire in my SS. From what I understand, the doughnut will not fit over the Brembos and a full sized wheel and tire will not fit in the trunk indent. My emergency kit consists of a cell phone. Murphy's law would give you good odds that whatever you have in your kit will not be what you need. The last time that I rode back to Boston from Sturgis SD, I got a flat on my Harley in Princeton Illinois. I used my cell phone to call a Harley shop to come and get me. The days of fixing a flat on a spoke wheeled Harley on the side of the road are over. My present bike is a Streetglide with alloy wheels. For that I have a tubeless repair kit with Co-2 cartridges.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I concur ^^ the only thing in my trunk is the inflator kit that came with the vehicle and my 10inch sub and amp. ON a side note, the inflator kit works great, my wife and I had to drive seperate to the airport, she had to go up night before to take her dad to catch his plane, I met her up there the next day to fly out. We came back from our vacation, had a 6 hour plane delay, sucks.... found out when we landed that the AC went out at our house while we were gone... and after finally getting a shuttle to the vehicles that the Yukon had a flat tire.... ughhh .. anyway inflator kit worked great, just a nail in tire so we made it home.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
The thing that worries me the most is the lack of a spare tire in my SS. From what I understand, the doughnut will not fit over the Brembos and a full sized wheel and tire will not fit in the trunk indent. My emergency kit consists of a cell phone. Murphy's law would give you good odds that whatever you have in your kit will not be what you need. The last time that I rode back to Boston from Sturgis SD, I got a flat on my Harley in Princeton Illinois. I used my cell phone to call a Harley shop to come and get me. The days of fixing a flat on a spoke wheeled Harley on the side of the road are over. My present bike is a Streetglide with alloy wheels. For that I have a tubeless repair kit with Co-2 cartridges.
and which tire size would you use for your spare anyway?

·
Banned
101 Posts
I don't keep any of that and rely on roadside assistance, but I do keep a first aid kit which I have had to use on others in need.

·
Support MC & Troops
11,799 Posts
I got one from the dealer I bought my Frost from, I'll have to check, and see if GM made a updated one, that works,
the spare fits perfect in the hole.. I complained to them a bought the kit, its pretty worthless IMO.. so they gave me the spare :D
I was thinking a kit w/flares and first aid kit and other stuff you could use and maybe add in a fix-a-flat can :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
338 Posts
I got one from the dealer I bought my Frost from, I'll have to check, and see if GM made a updated one, that works,
the spare fits perfect in the hole.. I complained to them a bought the kit, its pretty worthless IMO.. so they gave me the spare :D
I was thinking a kit w/flares and first aid kit and other stuff you could use and maybe add in a fix-a-flat can :D
Is your car a six cylinder? I can't tell from the picture. They did have an optional spare for the six but not for the SS.

·
Support MC & Troops
11,799 Posts
Is your car a six cylinder? I can't tell from the picture. They did have an optional spare for the six but not for the SS.
Frost is a V6.. tho.. when I first seen her, she had no spare, when I went to pick Frost up, she still had no spare.. just the kit.
The dealer, put the spare in just before I left, haha.. didn't even know he did that til, a few days later, when I decided to detail the trunk.. :lol:
I think he, stopped at the GM dealership, while putting a half tank of fuel in..:lol:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
338 Posts
Frost is a V6.. tho.. when I first seen her, she had no spare, when I went to pick Frost up, she still had no spare.. just the kit.
The dealer, put the spare in just before I left, haha.. didn't even know he did that til, a few days later, when I decided to detail the trunk.. :lol:
I think he, stopped at the GM dealership, while putting a half tank of fuel in..:lol:
Yeah, I was told that the reason for no spare was that the SS had the Brembo brakes which have bigger rotors and the smaller spare neccessary to fit in the trunk tire compartment wouldn"t fit.. Instead, I got a can of Fix-a-flat and a compressor.

·
Support MC & Troops
11,799 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
you got to have the basics,

1, jumper cables
2, oil
3,fuses
4 fix-a-flat
5, winter stuff

that's enough to fill up half of the shrinky-dink trunk on this car,,

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
I carry a tire plug kit, small compressor, a roll of duct tape, quart of oil.
Hasn't let me down yet.

·
Premium Member
4,378 Posts
I carry the tire plug kit also, don't need anything else since I have the factory box of snot with air pump all in one kit. I can use the air pump part of it without activating the snot fix a flat crap that cost $$$ to replace. Never need any of it with 48k miles but when I do, it will be there.

·
Support MC & Troops
11,799 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts