Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine the other day took a 4 1/2 hour cruise in his New Camaro when he got back in town he stopped off at my house and wanted to show me his new custom painted engine cover. After looking at it from on the car he wanted to show me how the quality of the paint job so he removed it and OMG heat from hell came out under the hood especially after he removed the Cover.

These dam things trap heat like no other. perhaps a cover like corvette uses would be better for the engine and to let it cool down a little.

what are yalls thoughts ?????

·
Registered
75 Posts
Get rid of those heat sinks! Dumbest idea ever (engine covers). Let the poor engine breath for goodness sake! I hate tupperware on my engine. I'll just have to find some other use for it. Holding nuts and bolts when working on things, or as an appetizer tray?

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Some people like the looks of them.

IMO the motors look better without. Also, if you plan to pop your hood at a car show or the like, your motor compartment better not be 100% stock or stock with just a painted cover ;)
How's anyone going to tell you have a new cam, assuming that's *all* you did? :D

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
mines coming off when I get the car home. I don't like the way the look, rather see the motor.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I posted these on another forum.....

I parked my car at about 4:30pm yesterday after a few minute trip home from work. No wot or beating on the car. I came out at about 8:30ish just to mess around. I decided to check out the engine cover and what not. Well I noticed that the motor was still extreamly hot for sitting for about 4 hours. I dont remember it taking this long for my 4th gen to cool down to a reasonable temp.

If I had a laser temp gun I would of gotten some temps of the top of the cover and under the cover plus the intake manifold weight. The engine cover even has an insulator pad on the underside.

Anyone think that a CAI would benifit better if the manifold wasnt covered?

then

Think about like this. Your spending up to $500 for a cai. Some of them grab air from the engine bay, others do not. They both as of right now make about the same amount of power on a dyno. Then look at the big baffles on the stock intake. The only thing all the aftermarket intakes have in common is the baffles are removed, therefore making a continuious smooth airflow path to the TB. Then once the air hits the manifold (that is hot from engine operation alone) it is again being heated probably more so than by not having a cai in the first place. Because the air now travels down individual runners instead of one big opening.....meaning easier to soak up any heat the manifold has built. Think of it like a heat sink to dissapate heat. So to make matters worse we trap the heat to the manifold instead of having cool air to help keep intake temps down.

So I guess what Im getting at here is that I think the CAI only real benifit is the removal of the baffles. Hence the reason the OTR intakes....and under hood intakes....and underhood intakes with a separation plate are all making the same power. That air is just being instantly heated by the manifold.

Im just speculating here, but When I find my temp gun I will take some samples of intake temps with the cover off and on.

Of course some asshat wants to argue with me. LOL. He must think heat is an engines friend.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
One thing to consider, air has poor heat transfer coefficients. Won't heat up tremendously at velocity due to convection or heat soak, especially if it can suck air from a cooler source rather than the engine bay. I thought the intakes were a plastic or molded non-metallic compound, thus further insulating the intake charge from tremendous heat as compared to an aluminum intake (thermal conductivity value nearly 250 vs. air at about 0.025). Heat soak would make initial startup charge pretty hot, but once cooler, and hopefully outside, air is pulled through, the air charge will cool down considerably.

But the insulated cover definitely isn't helping the engine stay cooler overall. But maybe saving the paint on the hood temps?

It'd be interesting to see the actual temps.

·
Registered
70 Posts
One thing to consider, air has poor heat transfer coefficients. Won't heat up tremendously at velocity due to convection or heat soak, especially if it can suck air from a cooler source rather than the engine bay. I thought the intakes were a plastic or molded non-metallic compound, thus further insulating the intake charge from tremendous heat as compared to an aluminum intake (thermal conductivity value nearly 250 vs. air at about 0.025). Heat soak would make initial startup charge pretty hot, but once cooler, and hopefully outside, air is pulled through, the air charge will cool down considerably.

But the insulated cover definitely isn't helping the engine stay cooler overall. But maybe saving the paint on the hood temps?

It'd be interesting to see the actual temps.

i think my brain is about 10 lbs to light to enter into this conversation! :)

·
8,984 Posts
Short answer. NO. Ditch the cover.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i think when the first ls1 corvette came out mti did a test on the coils. the cover that hide the coils were traping heat. so they remove the cover and pickup up 5or6 hp because cover were remove . this was back in 97 when the ls1 cameout. i try to find the link. if you ever seen cops when their cars are stop during a crash they have there hood open.cover anice for a show but i like to see the engine and it run cooler.

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts
i think when the first ls1 corvette came out mti did a test on the coils. the cover that hide the coils were traping heat. so they remove the cover and pickup up 5or6 hp because cover were remove . this was back in 97 when the ls1 cameout. i try to find the link. if you ever seen cops when their cars are stop during a crash they have there hood open.cover anice for a show but i like to see the engine and it run cooler.
I have never seen a police car with their hood open on an accident scene :confused:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Three things
1. On the ice silver metalic, the engine cover matches without the paint. It is silver and black.
2. I have never seen my temperature gauge go over 192 degrees in my SS.
3. I think that the engineers that designed this car with this cover might possibly know more about the airflow and cooling characteristics than we do. Would that change with the cover removed?

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have never seen a police car with their hood open on an accident scene :confused:
I've seen it done a few years ago when I was driving through Texas during the summer, and there was pretty serious rolllover accident. A few of the state troopers had the hoods of their Crown Vics either fully opened, or just barely. I didn't think it was odd because the outside temperature was near 100 degrees. I was a sheriff's deputy in Wisconsin, and never had to do it; but then again it doesn't get that hot here normally.

Contributing factors would have been they had their AC's going, 140-150 amp alternators going full boogie, and the 4.6's have those plastic engine covers as well. :)

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts
I've seen it done a few years ago when I was driving through Texas during the summer, and there was pretty serious rolllover accident. A few of the state troopers had the hoods of their Crown Vics either fully opened, or just barely. I didn't think it was odd because the outside temperature was near 100 degrees. I was a sheriff's deputy in Wisconsin, and never had to do it; but then again it doesn't get that hot here normally.

Contributing factors would have been they had their AC's going, 140-150 amp alternators going full boogie, and the 4.6's have those plastic engine covers as well. :)
Maybe in extreme heat conditions, but I don't see any benefit otherwise :D

·
8,984 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just curious..

I am thinking about removing my stock engine cover. My only concern is my hood paint eventually fading from heat? Am I crazy or is this a real concern? I hate the stock cover!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts