Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else miss the old way that engines used to look? How you used to be able to see the engine instead of the plastic cover most manufacturers slide over the top now? Just a thought as I was looking at Octane's pictures. I really think it takes away some of the appeal, it seems tamer with the plastic cover.

Oh and sorry if someone thinks this should be posted somewhere else, it's not really V6 or V8 specifically so I just put it here.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Honestly, I like the clean look. When I look at a engine cover, I see a engine dress item that can be customized. I love a good airbrushed, or colored engine cover.

Examples:

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
I agree with Jinx on the 'artistic' aspect. I've seen some really nice work on several cars. They make a big impact at shows or cruise nights when you pop the hood. From a performance perspective they retain too much engine heat, so mine will not be on the car unless I'm showing/cruising..........and never at the track.:)

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sort of reminds m of RICE ... if you want the engine to look that way, design it that way .. don't just throw a cover over it :) .. just my 2 cents ..

Crowley

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
Sort of reminds m of RICE ... if you want the engine to look that way, design it that way .. don't just throw a cover over it :) .. just my 2 cents ..

Crowley
It's NVH, too. Something to keep in mind is the covers on today's engines also play a role in noise control. The valve-train, injectors, and air intake rushing in are quite noisy.

As for the 'ricey' appearance.......just take it off.;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's NVH, too. Something to keep in mind is the covers on today's engines also play a role in noise control. The valve-train, injectors, and air intake rushing in are quite noisy.

As for the 'ricey' appearance.......just take it off.;)
True .. also .. an engine cover wouldn't stop me from buying a car .. plus .. if there is a blower available for it (top mount (roots, twin screw etc)) .. by by cover ..

BTW .. LOL at your avatar :)

Crowley

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
I like the ones on my LT1. Small enough to not cover the whole engine, but large enough to cover the wires and vacuum tubes that service the injectors and stuff on the top of the engine.

Not my engine, but one just like mine.

·
Registered
199 Posts
guess the cover needs to come off to install the maggie... :D

·
Registered
275 Posts
Current engine bays look like they were designed by Fisher Price. I remember someone asking me to pop the hood on my '04 GTO and I thought... what the hell is worth looking at under there? Its not like I had a supercharger or anything. Even taking off the chinsy plastic covers doesn't really help, it still looked so safe in there. I liked my carb'd Camaro's engine compartment because it was a constant battle to keep it presentable.

I dunno, I feel like my preferences are a relic of a bygone era.

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
I like covers that make the compartment look clean. Those LT1 covers are a good example.

Ones that hide the engine need to come off. IMO

·
Registered
275 Posts

Ones that hide the engine need to come off. IMO
See, thats not so bad. That looks like you might snag a sleeve and pull away a bloody stump if you get too close.

This is a beautiful sight to me. Le sigh....

·
A New Camaro, Excellent!
529 Posts
Ya i will lose the plastic cover and get some custom LS3 fuel rail covers like these:

·
A New Camaro, Excellent!
529 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Okey, I got a foolish question. Yes, the covers look sharp and they make under the hood look neater, but don't they also keep a lot of heat in the engine compartment?

·
Registered
48 Posts
it come down to who is looking. Most people know whats what under it all others just see whats an engine look like. it does clean up the looks of some cars.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
At least it's nothing like Acura's frickin 'engine room' It hides everything except the oh-so-mighty V6.

This is how I like my engines:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts