Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've heard rumors that a turbocharged I-4 engine will replace the lower end
v6 option in an effort for GM to appeal to MPG-minded buyers. Anyone know if this is just smoke or if there's anything to it?

·
Registered
26 Posts
a supercharged I-4? I doubt it, considering the turbocharged Ecotech with direct injection is better on gas. Not only that, but the supercharged I-4 was only in the Cobalt SS and Ion Redline right? (Notice I said was, currently the s/c I-4 isn't in anything, at least in america, I believe)

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
GM is developing a small (1.4L I think) turbocharged 4cyl that they will be using in economy cars that is supposed to get over 40 hwy mpg. I doubt it will make it into the 5th gen though.

·
Registered
455 Posts
G8 6.0L is guaranteed 2 b a engine in the camaro the LS3 is gauranteed cause gxp g8 gets it and 3.9L is easily making it in for lower end camaro's and maybe a smaller v6

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Nothing is guaranteed at this point. Everything is speculation.

I could see some form of a 4cyl (either turbo or s/c) replacing the V6s. Even if it only gets a few MPG better, the "image" is there, and people right now are panicking and want that image of smaller engine. And if the hp and torque are close, why not?

Would I be happy about a Turbo or S/C V6 replacing the V8? Not really, but by then I'll already have my V8, so it won't matter so much. I think as long as GM still "offers" the V8 option, then it's ok to sell whatever else. The Camaro has always been a "flexible" car, with lots of options. Whereas the Corvette is V8 or S/C V8 only.

Heck, I don't care if they offer a hybrid Camaro, as long as it helps sales, and they don't remove the top-end options that some people still want.

But all of this is a year or two away. The current model's engines and drivetrains are set.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I wouldn't turn my nose up at the turbocharged-4 that is offered in the Redline/Solstice and Cobalt SS models.

The Cobalt SS will be every bit as much competition for the base Camaro as the Mustang GT. The little Cobalt SS is INSANE, and still qualifies as a bona fide daily driver.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The more important question is would anybody be interested in a turbo i4 for a camaro? Is it really still a camaro without at least six cylinders? Theres no way that Turbo 4 could possibly have a satisfying grumble to it, even though HP-wise it either matches or outperforms the base V6. If that's the only model I can afford (if this is even true) then that's what I'll get, but I won't be as happy about it as I would be with a V6 since the price tag of the V8 eliminates that option for me.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
I wouldn't turn my nose up at the turbocharged-4 that is offered in the Redline/Solstice and Cobalt SS models.

The Cobalt SS will be every bit as much competition for the base Camaro as the Mustang GT. The little Cobalt SS is INSANE, and still qualifies as a bona fide daily driver.
I agree. Everyone scoffs, but if they had an opportunity to drive one, I'm sure they'd enjoy it for what it is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I read in Car and Driver or Automobile Magazine that GM WAS thinking of putting their turbo 4 bangers in the new Camaro but just for the fuel economy buyers. It was not set in stone though and I dont think it will happen. EVER!!!

I will look up what magazine it was and let you all know where I saw it.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
I don't really have a problem with a turbo-4 being in the Camaro...but I don't think it would be all that better on gas than a V6. The redline's MPG is 19/28 and weighs 3000 lbs.

·
Registered
111 Posts
It was not set in stone though and I dont think it will happen. EVER!!!
Be careful of how sure you think you are about that...engines are downsizing, while still putting out great power. What once required a V8 for 300hp, is getting the V6...and what once required an I4 for 250hp, is getting a Turbo4.

Camaro isn't immune, in fact, it only stands to benefit. Think of the tuner-crowd sales a Turbo 4 base-model car could pull in. It'd be light, responsive, and easy to upgrade, and it still looks kickass :roxor:

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
I wouldn't care If GM offered a turbo-4. Whatever it takes to sell alot of them.

The more that get off the lots and onto the steets the better. I agree that with the weight of the Camaro a turbo-4 would have to work pretty hard. IMO it would not make up alot of ground in the mpg area.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I wouldn't care If GM offered a turbo-4. Whatever it takes to sell alot of them.

The more that get off the lots and onto the steets the better.
Exactly! Just as long as I can order my 400 HP V8 6-speed, GM can offer 4 cylinders all they want!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts