Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't intend on doing an engine swap anytime soon. I'm thinking maybe a decade from now. What engine would be viable to place in the V6 Camaro? What other parts would need to be added? I was thinking like a Corvette engine.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
ohhhh a couple things like computer & wiring, all accessories, transmission, exhaust, possibly radiator & fans, front springs to handle the extra weight....and on and on.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Yeah. There is a little more than just swapping engines out. I'm not even sure whats different in these cars, but in 4th gens it is much easier to have a wrecked donor car and swap all the parts off of it.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Don't worry about it.In 10 years you won't remember anything we told you anyway :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Don't worry about it.In 10 years you won't remember anything we told you anyway :lol: :lol: :lol:
Remember what ????? :confused: :lol:

I would buy a used 2011 Green SS in 10 years and fix it up. Might be cheaper option.

·
8,984 Posts
Swapping from V6 to a V8 is not that bad, it just takes time. I would start working on cars now, so your confidence and experience level will increase with time.

Most of it will just be unbolt and rebolt back on.

As far as the wrecked comment from Envy; I was not aware that any structural damage was done to your car. If that is the case and it is fixed correctly on a frame jig and aligns back to factory specs and all of the body gaps are correct, doors open with ease and close with out complaining, then a wrecked car is not an issue at all.

If any of these things are present, f it, strip the car and put a carb'd LSX motor and an th400 tranny in it and go racing.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
10 years from now there will probley be a couple write ups from people that have done it and you will know what you need.

On a 4th gen you need:
engine
transmission
fuel pump
fuel lines
rear end(optional)
wire harness
k member
motor mounts
speedo(optional)

I'm sure things will be a little different for the 5th gen, but there is an idea of what may be needed.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
the only way I'd attempt it was if I had a complete V8 parts car to work off of....like one that was wrecked (maybe rear-ended)....that way all the parts needed were there.

·
Premium Member
6,269 Posts
I'd just skip it and trade for a V8 if that's what you want...but that's just me.

Why wait???

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Besides I love my Camaro. SS or not. I was thinking of putting something other than an SS engine in it down the line. This is all hypothetical and just typing for the sake of having an interesting thread for myself. :)

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Besides I love my Camaro. SS or not. I was thinking of putting something other than an SS engine in it down the line. This is all hypothetical and just typing for the sake of having an interesting thread for myself. :)
The easier way still would be to get an SS pull the engine, sell the engine put in new engine. There is just so much more changes to make to go from v6 to v8

Who knows what engine by then. big ci LSX might be fun. By then there may be more choices.

I'm putting a V8 in my 96 3.8, but if I hadn't have stubled across a wrecked 96 LT1(v8) Camaro, I would have just put another 3.8L in it.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
:thumbsup:Hey,
Did'nt Hennessy swaped the ss6.2L engine for a LS9 and LSX. I bet they know exactcly what to do.:eek:
Going from V6 to V8 requires alot more than going LS3 to LS9 or LSX because those engines are all LS engines and easily swap out with same mounts and wiring etc for the most part. Not to say it can't be done or its too difficult to be done. Just tougher when you don't have a doner for someone without much experience. I bet in 10 years there will be written guides on the forums for this. Those type of guides is how I learned out to mod my engine. I had no experience or outside help besides the forums and I was able to pull my 4th gen down to the frame and back together with a cam and new shortblock + more. That will be a big help in the future.

·
8,984 Posts
You could put a 2.5L Iron Duke in it; for the sake of being different. I say the new 4.5L diesel.

Google.com

·
Registered
149 Posts
Other than the mechanical aspect of doing a swap, the computer and wiring harness, another thing that may or may not be such a big deal is the gauge cluster. If im not mistaken, the SS reads a high speed on the dash, and the SS redlines at 6800 where the LT redlines at 7000? Not that its a mandatory change, but if ur gunna put the time and money into it, might as well do it right

1 - 20 of 22 Posts