Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New fuel economy estimates on window stickers of new cars and trucks will fall by about 2 to 4 mpg on average under new rules unveiled Monday by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, reports The Detroit Free Press. The new EPA estimates for most vehicles in the city will drop by about 12 percent, while highway estimates will drop an average of 8 percent.

While the changes will vary widely by model, the most severe estimate cuts occurred for hybrid vehicles, which dropped an average of 22 percent for city and 13 percent for highway driving. The new fuel economy estimates for 2006 new cars and trucks averaged 18.6 mpg city/24.9 mpg highway.

The two tests used in the old system basically simulated a leisurely drive that never topped 60 mph in 75-degree weather. The three new tests include cold starts at 20 degrees, running the engine with air conditioning in 95-degree heat, and harder acceleration up to 80 mph. The changes, including a redesigned label, will go into effect for 2008 models that go on sale next year.

For more explanation on the changes and the new labels, visit www.mileagewillvary.com and www.fueleconomy.gov

·
Registered
742 Posts
Read that in the newspaper. I wonder how on earth they got those really high numbers.

·
Registered
101 Posts
What happens happens. WHo knows when they discover a new type or invent a new type of fuel source that is enviromentally clean, maybe we will have FLYING cars!!! WAHOO!!! :eek:

Oh one more thing. Our government is so **** messed up it doesn't matter who is controlling what. We are worried about every other country in the world but our own. (Ok done with that. No more politics for me)

·
Registered
134 Posts
The Canadian version of the EPA posts estimated
liters of fuel consumed per kilometers of distance travelled so you get stuff like 6.3l/100km city 11.2l/100km highway :eek: :eek:

So lets see knock off 12% and 8% and the above changes to: 7.1l/100km and 12.1l/100km.

Even after all these years with the metric system
I have to convert to mpg for it mean anything :lol:

·
Registered
187 Posts
The new fuel economy estimates for 2006 new cars and trucks averaged 18.6 mpg city/24.9 mpg highway.
That's about what my H/C 4.22 geared Trans Am gets! hahaha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts