Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i know there are some book lovers on this site and i was wondering if anyone has any experience with any of the ereaders out there.

we are seriously considering getting one for hubby so he doesn't have to pack a bunch of books with him when he goes out on a job

the main one that we are looking at right now is the kobo ereader

so ya any experience good bad or otherwise would love to hear it and know if it's worth the money

my biggest fear in spending the money on it is not finding enough titles that he'll want to download and read. he's pretty specific on what he likes for books

·
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep
4,638 Posts
I prefer the old fashion way of reading actual books just like how I like reading The newspaper in print

·
8,984 Posts
Whatever you do, tell him to pass on the Playboy subscription; it just isn't the same.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
the ipad was built for readers, but has a lot of other cool stuff built in. it's like an ipod touch except bigger and you can buy and read books on it.

but it is probably more pricey than all the other ereaders.

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
so i know there are some book lovers on this site and i was wondering if anyone has any experience with any of the ereaders out there.

we are seriously considering getting one for hubby so he doesn't have to pack a bunch of books with him when he goes out on a job

the main one that we are looking at right now is the kobo ereader

so ya any experience good bad or otherwise would love to hear it and know if it's worth the money

my biggest fear in spending the money on it is not finding enough titles that he'll want to download and read. he's pretty specific on what he likes for books

I dont know if you mean books or magazines but I use Zinio.com on a few of my mags :thumbsup:
check out Zinio.com

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no actual books is what we want it for. and i like the ereader cuz ya it's cheap and it works like an ipod/ipad does where he can link it to his laptop or to his blackberry

i prefer holding onto a book as well but with him being gone for upwards of 40 some odd days at a time that's alot of books to pack when you need the space for clothes and stuff lol

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haven't looked at the kindle yet. will go do some research on that one

i found the kobo from the chapters/indigo website. and that one led me to the sony ereader, but then i went back to the kobo cuz the book selection from their online store is 100x times bigger then sony. the books are more expesive through them, but the reader itself is alot cheaper and gotta go for the overall selection too. going to do no good if we buy a reader for him and there's no books that he wants to read lol

off to look at the kindle. thanks guys :)

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
haven't looked at the kindle yet. will go do some research on that one

i found the kobo from the chapters/indigo website. and that one led me to the sony ereader, but then i went back to the kobo cuz the book selection from their online store is 100x times bigger then sony. the books are more expesive through them, but the reader itself is alot cheaper and gotta go for the overall selection too. going to do no good if we buy a reader for him and there's no books that he wants to read lol

off to look at the kindle. thanks guys :)
You're welcome. :p
The Kindle came out before sony's..and since it's amazon..their selection is reportedly massive.

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireless-Reading-Display-Generation/dp/B0015T963C/ref=amb_link_353392262_2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=1EQ7KZMGWTSN8XYYZ25S&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1267052482&pf_rd_i=507846

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ya i was looking at that site but the only thing that i can't find is if the kindle links to your computer or not

he told me he likes that the kobo will let him read books on his laptop too if he wants. does the kindle have that feature too and i just can't see it?

EDIT: HAHAHAH never mind. answered my own question

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
ya i was looking at that site but the only thing that i can't find is if the kindle links to your computer or not

he told me he likes that the kobo will let him read books on his laptop too if he wants. does the kindle have that feature too and i just can't see it?

EDIT: HAHAHAH never mind. answered my own question
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=ms_sbrspot_0?ie=UTF8&docId=1000426311&pf_rd_p=1259190242&pf_rd_s=center-22&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0015T963C&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=191G59T0S16PVGVQ97RJ ;) hahaha

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh man yes that would be what i call a "pretty" moment :lol:

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hmmmmmmmmmmm so the kindle looks like a kick a$$ reader for sure, but with it being so new to canada the wireless coverage is very very slim. he goes to alot of remote locations that are definately not covered on the map of coverage. for the most part he can usually always get internet (even if it means plugging his laptop top into a hard wire if wireless is not available). i think we may have to give it a few more years for the 3G coverage of the kindle to catch up before going that route.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have had a kindle for over a year and I still love it. I find it easier to read than actual books at this point, my eyes get less tired.

This may help:

http://ebookreadermatrix.com/

Also Kindle has apps for PC, Iphone, Blackberry and Droid. I regularly go from Kindle to PC to iphone and it keeps track of my place in the book as long as I have wireless on.

The other suggestion I would have is to go search the books he will want to buy on the various sites to see which carries the books that match his taste in reading the best.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
he should be back home some time next week so we're hoping they will let him stay home for at least a week. should have something figured out before he heads back out again. thanks again for all the posts everyone

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don't see the point in having anything like that. Are people getting so lazy they can't handle a book anymore
It has nothing to do with being lazy and not wanting to hold a book. It has everything to do with reducing the amount of stuff I have in my house and being about to take 90 - 100 books easy when I travel.

I love books and spent several months thinking about buying it. Now I keep my hardback collections and all paperback books are now electronic. Considering how avid of a reader I am it has enabled me to get rid of 4 - 5 bookcases.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've been hearing good things about the "Nook" from Barnes and Noble.

Supposedly it supports a lot more of the formats then the others. I haven't played with one yet so cannot speak from any experience other than hearing from friends using it.

Something I can tell you is that if you do a lot of reading using one of these, you probably do NOT want one with a back light. Most folks will opt for a portable light that they can shine onto the screen which will cause less strain on the eyes. The various Ereaders that do not have back lights offer their own version of a portable lamp for them.

I don't own any of these, so just passing on from what I have heard from other people as I have considered buying one myself.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts