I am installing a Corsa Cat Back system on my SS-M6 and I was wondering:
What do Hi-flo cats do for performance?
Is there any HP gain?
Are they worth doing?
If so, what brand?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have a Borla catback/K&N filter on my SS-M6. To me any performance increase is somewhat subjective (seat of the pants) since I have no dyno results. I would guess maybe 15-20 HP increase, which you may or may not notice. To me the real benefit is the exhaust sound, which you WILL notice, especially when you get on the gas. As for brand, Corsa is fine. I've had one on an older Corvette and it was great. Enjoy your car :5go:

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
You will definitely see some gains w/ hi-flow cats over stock cats. I know SOLO makes them (bolts on, no cutting). Their dyno tests showed 22hp/25tq at peak. They should also sound better as well. Worth doing IMO...unless you can see yourself doing LT headers also at some point, if that's the case, just wait and get them w/ the headers because they are different. Most header companies make hi-flow cats that fit w/ the headers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, 22hp for hi-flow Cats alone?
That's awesome, if that is true, I am buying.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
save a little bit more money and buy a quality header system w/ 1-7/8" primaries that has high flow cats.

if your doing the Corsa cat-back, then your best Header would be either:
ARH short kit - $1450
Kooks - $1350
Stainless Works - $1200

the quality on all of them are about the same. i have the ARH standard kit which includes a 3" x-pipe, and i like it, it was $1750. you don't need this one since your cat-back already has the x-pipe.

also, keep in mind you will need to get on a dyno and have the car tuned after you get headers. not sure if just installing the high flow cats would throw any codes... my guess is they would. so either way you go (just hi-flow cats or headers w/ cats) you would need $250-500 for a custom tune.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yikes! Ive seen this discussion on so many forums. You will gain little to nothing with a cat back system.....only sound. Our cars are equipped with a very well flowing 2.5 dual exhaust system. If a better sound is all you want to achieve, yes, get a cat back..........or, to save cash, just swap out mufflers. If you want hp gains, get long tube headers and cats. And if you have lots of cash just burning hole in your pocket, get a complete system for both hp gain and sound.
Might I suggest getting the headers w/cats and a good tune. Then see how it goes from there.

Bill

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Yikes! Ive seen this discussion on so many forums. You will gain little to nothing with a cat back system.....only sound. Our cars are equipped with a very well flowing 2.5 dual exhaust system. If a better sound is all you want to achieve, yes, get a cat back..........or, to save cash, just swap out mufflers. If you want hp gains, get long tube headers and cats. And if you have lots of cash just burning hole in your pocket, get a complete system for both hp gain and sound.
Might I suggest getting the headers w/cats and a good tune. Then see how it goes from there.

Bill
the OP was asking how if hi-flow cats are worth it....but anyway, a good cat-back system WILL give you noticeable gains (mostly because of the X-pipe.)...you'll feel a little extra power and better throttle response, 6th gear even becomes a little more usable. I don't have exact dyno #'s, but know plenty of people who have various cat-backs installed and all were VERY happy w/ the results.

If a better sound is all you want, dont even bother with a cat-back...save your $$ and just get an axle-back.:cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I want power and sound.
I am concerned headers would be too loud for me. I have heard the Corsa cat back and love it, but add that to headers and hi-Flo cats, and that might be way too much for me.
Are certain headers louder than others?

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
I want power and sound.
I am concerned headers would be too loud for me. I have heard the Corsa cat back and love it, but add that to headers and hi-Flo cats, and that might be way too much for me.
Are certain headers louder than others?
LT headers will all pretty much sound the same...it's what's after the headers that controls the sound differently. I have the full American Racing system (headers, cats, exhaust) and it's not too loud at all....maybe even a little too quiet at idle.:rolleyes:

If you think the corsa system will be too loud, I'd try and hear it on a car w/ headers if possible (try and find one in your area to hear in person).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I will drive it for a few months with the Corsa cat back, and if I think it isn't too loud, I will consider LT headers, and then maybe hi Flo cats.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, I did it!
See mods below!
I am psyched!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
You will not be dissapointed with the headers. I have Doug Thorley LT's no cats, and a Magnaflow exhaust and its not loud unless you go WOT, then it is....

·
Registered
189 Posts
I am installing a Corsa Cat Back system on my SS-M6 and I was wondering:
What do Hi-flo cats do for performance?
Is there any HP gain?
Are they worth doing?
If so, what brand?
i just put solo hi-flow cats on my L99 this am and i already had corsa catbacks. just the sound alone makes it worth the cost.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
BTW- you lose no HP by going with hi-flow cats compared to no cats.

the cons with going with no cats at all is a gassy smell. with hi-flow cats it will still smell a little rich, but not nearly as much without having any cats. You also have to know weather there are inspections in your home state for the kittys

just my personal experience :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts