Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm with Allstate but have been quoted lower rates by Geico and Progressive. Anybody have good or bad experiences with them?

In particular, I have heard issues with Geico about covering accidents/issues that happened outside of the insureds home state or when traveling in Canada.
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
I had Progressive when I was in high school and had my IROC. My parents insurance wouldn't insure me on the car, so I went elsewhere. Progressive was the most affordable and also were very helpful when I had an accident.

I later switched to Nationwide, and most recently (about three years ago) switched to Erie.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I had Progressive when I was in high school and had my IROC. My parents insurance wouldn't insure me on the car, so I went elsewhere. Progressive was the most affordable and also were very helpful when I had an accident.

I later switched to Nationwide, and most recently (about three years ago) switched to Erie.
I've been with Progressive for many years now and I'll attest that they are very proactive in settling claims, and are quick in getting to the scene of an accident. That said, you they will stick it to you where it hurts (I'm talking about the wallet of course) as the number of claims or tickets goes up. I think the premium hike from claims stick with you longer than the tickets.

Anyway I think my premium is still a bit high considering I've been ticket free for 5 years and have maybe 1 claim filed in the last 3 years. All the big insurance companies will give switchers competitive rates, but you have to wait and see how they treat you when you get in an accident.

It's weird how as you get older the number of moving violations and accidents approaches zero. I guess at some point, around age 65 or so it starts going back up. :lol:

·
Registered
146 Posts
try esurance.com

great customer service, fast checks when you have a claim, best deal i found,, i even had my s-10 (with only comp/liability ins.) get some hail damage, and for a 10yr old vehicle they paid for a complete paint job and never raised my rates because it was an act of nature.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I'm with Allstate but have been quoted lower rates by Gieco and Progressive. Anybody have good or bad experiences with them?

In particular, I have heard issues with Gieco about covering accidents/issues that happened outside of the insureds home state or when traveling in Canada.
Thanks,
Mike
I have zero issues with Geico. Fortunately I haven't had an accident since I've been with them (4 years now) so I can't really tell you about their "payouts" with the exception of replacing the windshield in my GTO which was easy, quick, and painless- not to mention free. :)

As far as Canada goes, they are the first company I've ever been with that offers you "Canadian" insurance cards in addition to the normal ones if you plan on being in Canada. Being in Buffalo, I obviously now have both cards in my car(s).

I can't complain about any dealings I've had with them including getting the insurance cards for the Camaro before it was even listed in their system (last April). They just used the MSRP to write the policy and then adjusted it once the Camaro actually appeared in their system. Even their "guess" was pretty good as the yearly policy ended up being $130 less in the end.

·
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep
4,638 Posts
I Have travelers..... Cheapest one i found by far and they are great

·
Premium Member
8,645 Posts
I have Statefarm. I have had a bad expirence with Gieco when a lady pulled out in front of me and i hit her. She had Gieco they didnt want to settle up or get me a rental because her daugther that wasnt even at the wreck site despitued the wreck. But Statefarm took care of that by slapping a law suit against Gieco and had a rental in a matter of a few hours and my car was fixed no questions.

P.S. sometimes saving money really isnt saving money

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I'm a bit of a pariah in the Ins. world or so I've heard.

Stems from 2 accidents in the course of 6 months (one black ice nom nom nom guard rail, one rush hour my fault). We were with Encompass for a good while. Then come to find out the house repairs we've been doing and my brother's lack of driving skills 'forced' them to drop us because 'we were costing them money'

I think they just got tired of having to pay for crap that went awry in our house that landed under insurance claims.

So now we're with Farmers and though they're willing to insure us it's at a cost;

They don't drop the rates at 25; they do it at 29. And my current rate for insurance on my truck (explorer with 108K miles) by myself is 435/mo full coverage with rental; that's 5K+ for 1yr insurance. Now we decided to just scrap the separate plans and put them on an umbrella plan so now it's just 665/6mos.

Out of the blue I happened to ask them how much a 2010 SS would cost me; they said "...just keep your truck or take the bus; you don't want to hear."

:facepalm:

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
i have Progressive on my daily drivers... and i have also been with them since i was a teenager with my first Camaro (1998). i have had 1 comp claim when my Camaro was broken into for my stereo, 2 accident claims, and a few speeding tickets :eek: but they have always been good to me. they come out to take care of claims quick, give you money quick, and they haven't jacked me on rates too bad as they were the cheapest when i shop around every few years (LA insurance rates are bad in general tho).

i pay $400 every 6 months on our 95 formula with full coverage and $200 every 6 months on the 92 roadmaster with liability only (cuz i totalled it back in 07). i give Progressive a :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
My girlfriend got hit by a Geico driver and they tried taking advantage of her. I will never look into ever getting them.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I was with Statefarm for more than 20 yrs but even with no tickets/no accidents my rates kept climbing. Before you decide ask the rep if they have requested any increases from the state insurance controller of your state. When I changed to Geico 6 yrs ago, I asked and they told me that they had not requested any increases for the next 2 years, my rates did not go up till last year and it was minimal compared to a freind of mine who had Progressive, and another by USAA. My quote from progressive was twice the amount of my current policy with geico. The worst part of that was Harley Davidson promotes them and I only pay $625 for my bike per year VS Progressives $1815! Just ask questions because the prices are also based on where you live.:)

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
i have Progressive on my daily drivers... and i have also been with them since i was a teenager with my first Camaro (1998). i have had 1 comp claim when my Camaro was broken into for my stereo, 2 accident claims, and a few speeding tickets :eek: but they have always been good to me. they come out to take care of claims quick, give you money quick, and they haven't jacked me on rates too bad as they were the cheapest when i shop around every few years (LA insurance rates are bad in general tho).

i pay $400 every 6 months on our 95 formula with full coverage and $200 every 6 months on the 92 roadmaster with liability only (cuz i totalled it back in 07). i give Progressive a :thumbsup:
Dang you have cheap rates! :eek: Maybe there's a girl discount?

Several years ago I was in a similar situation with Progressive (as the claims and citations go) and my rates were about $1600 every 6 months! Now with a spotless record my rates are the cheapest they've been in a long time at just under $800 every 6 months. Back then they had me over a barrel with that loyalty discount, but now I'm in a position where that amounts to squat and I can finally shop around for a better rate.

·
Registered
61 Posts

I switched from Farm Bureau to Erie several years ago for both auto and homeowners, been very satisfied with their rates and service. Nationwide wanted to give me a "competitive bid" on my insurance last year, so I gave them the coverage particulars (excluding price paid) on my three vehicles. The agent did his calculations for the identical coverage and called back with "we can give you the same coverage for only $1911.00 a year". I told him "Awesome dude, I only pay $1174.00 a year now!". Needless to say I declined Nationwide's offer and stayed with Erie. All of the "competitive offers" I've gotten from other companies have been $300-$600 higher than my Erie rates.
Clyde

·
Registered
746 Posts
I have everything I own with Erie, I guess I'm a little bius bc my father retired after 32 years with Erie as a Material Damage Supervisor. Some of the horror stories I heard about claims with the other companies were pretty ugly,especially using aftermarket parts on pretty new cars. To me insurance is one of those things that nickels and dimes dont mean much. I hope I pay my premium and never have to call my agent. My rates with Erie are competitive,imo, the service has always been excellent, and I will continue with them...and No I don't get an employee/family discount....

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Erie has been great, and I've had two different agents (in DC, and now in Pittsburgh). When I moved to DC from central PA, Nationwide wanted to skyrocket my rates. I turned to Erie for S&G's (Erie was who wouldn't insure my IROC, ironically), and they had a great rate. Both of my reps have been extremely nice and quick to take care of anything.

I also have renters insurance and my fiances engagement ring insured with Erie.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Geico ( formerly known as Government Employee Insurance Company) and Progressive are very similar companies in size and service quality. The biggest defference is that for the most part Geico doesn't have local agents while most Progressive polices are written by local agents. Having a local agent isn't really that important unless you need an advocate to work out a claims or billing issue vs.working with a insurance company paid employee. And as you can tell I'm a insurance agent.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts