1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Dark Side Moderator
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
That is pretty messed up. Funny lyrics with the video.

A buddy of mine used to be an Air Force mechanic. He had plenty of stories about pilots and repairs.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My college roommate is a viper pilot. Don't get me wrong, he's a smart kid, but when your ego gets bigger than your helmet, this is the kind of thing that happens.

Great video...the actual tree strike doesn't happen until around 2:30 (skip to 2:20) for anyone who wants to watch just that part.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that the Mach meter in the upper mid left hand side of the HUD? If so, its no wonder he hit the tree. doing Mach .9 over the tree tops in a mountain range isn't exactly the brightest thing to be doing. Good thing he made it home OK.

·
Registered
71 Posts
So I sent this video to my buddy who's the viper driver and here's his response:
That's a pretty old video since he's in Missile Override A/A mode without pitch ladders and a flight path marker (Newer versions have fixed that problem to prevent having a midair with a tree). We don't fly low levels without that info displayed. We also "understand" our altitude warning systems and actually react to prevent explaining why we tore up a jet and almost killed ourselves during a training mission. He did a good job coming clean, but that's pretty bad to not use everything you have in the jet to keep your pink butt safe.

·
Dark Side Moderator
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dont even know who the crew chief was, but im sure who ever sees him coming to there jet is going to claim a redball, ground abort, or even a crew change due to lack of confindence in ground crew.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts