Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If i were to install a factory ZL1 LSA Supercharger on my 2010 camaro SS, would i need to change the ecu, fuel pump ect?

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
...and install rods, crank, forged pistons, cam, etc. if you want it to work right and last.
You're going to have a much better experience going with a professional to do this, rather than just slapping a, LSA blower on it.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
You wouldnt need to swap the ecu...just get it tuned. You can add a boost-a-pump instead of the zl1 pump, it's a easier install, but swapping the pump is better. Also, you'll have to swap out the injectors.

Plenty of guys run boost on stock internals with no issues, just be conservative and find a good tuner.

Why do you want the lsa blower? There are so many other options that come in complete kits and are also probably cheaper and make more power.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Stock internals on the LS3/L99 engines are super strong. Guys are boasting numbers north of 700 to the wheels on stock internals. I would think the stock block can handle the power from a ZL-1 blower easy-peasy...

·
Registered
13 Posts
If i were to install a factory ZL1 LSA Supercharger on my 2010 camaro SS, would i need to change the ecu, fuel pump ect?
we are currently doing the exact same thing on an L99 2010 ss

fuel pump booster or upgraded unit, injectors are both items that need to be addressed on this swap.

as was earlier mentioned cost WAS an issue for this blower install. @ 7k for just the blower assy and the LSA front drive at another $1300+ it could get expensive.

hope this helps to shed some light on the requirements of your swap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
+1 for the ZL1 supercharger. GM OEM engineered = last longer, better resale, no jack shaft, no belt slip. I like the sound of the ZL1 blower, it spools faster so the wine comes on quicker.

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts
+1 for the ZL1 supercharger. GM OEM engineered = last longer, better resale, no jack shaft, no belt slip. I like the sound of the ZL1 blower, it spools faster so the wine comes on quicker.
Better resale?

Who makes the s/c GM uses on the ZL1 anyway?

·
Registered
4 Posts
IMHO all else being equal a used C5 Camaro with a ZL1 supercharger would be worth more than a used C5 Camaro with a Maggie.

Eaton manufacturers and supplies GM with the Supercharger

·
Registered
13 Posts
Better resale?

Who makes the s/c GM uses on the ZL1 anyway?
Eaton, same as the Maggie .

It really does all come down to preference.

Lsa Do tend to make more power and they can be had for the same or less than the Maggie's and what not.

For now the bottom line is yes you can buy a Maggie kit and be done with it, or you can spend a few in front of the computer with your reading glasses and a credit card and get an lsa kit that can be built to suit your needs.

That's why I stay with the lsa

I don't think either of them has any particular concrete end all be all perk that makes it a deal killer on either end. Maggie's are awesome too
But I prefer the gm peice

Just beware... There is a lot of misinformation out there so do some homework on the source of the info. You may find that they aren't really qualified to make that call, ask me how I know haha

·
Support MC & Troops
11,799 Posts
:dunno: No one has brought this up... if using a supercharger on a non-supercharged camaro..
1) the breaks 2) suspension 3) frame supports and so on....it should be mandated to replace the factory parts to high-performance parts..
stuff ya going to need to be safe.. IMO.. before transplanting its heart.
Food for thought... just encase some one reads this thread and thinks they can just slap in a supercharger and go................

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
4 Posts
We are talking about a 2010+ Camaro. Super strong 14 inch 4 piston brakes, good suspension, and good modern sensors to keep the tune in check. It is not OEM ZL1 safe but it is very close.

·
Registered
13 Posts
:dunno: No one has brought this up... if using a supercharger on a non-supercharged camaro..
1) the breaks 2) suspension 3) frame supports and so on....it should be mandated to replace the factory parts to high-performance parts..
stuff ya going to need to be safe.. IMO.. before transplanting its heart.
Food for thought... just encase some one reads this thread and thinks they can just slap in a supercharger and go................
All those items are more than ready to handle a sc swap.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
as was earlier mentioned cost WAS an issue for this blower install. @ 7k for just the blower assy and the LSA front drive at another $1300+ it could get expensive.

Apparently GM has a kit for this, you may have spent way too much on yours.

There is a guy selling a brand new kit for 5700 or make offer

Chevy ZL1 LS3 LSA supercharger Kit Lots of EXTRAS | eBay

We own a shop and get parts at discounted prices so i could get this kit a lot cheaper on top of that. It is very true about resale value. You may like a particular supercharger and it may get better numbers, but thats called "preference" and nobody cares about yours. Factory is the best option in my opinion and they last the longest. GM built the car and if they went with this supercharger thats what im going with as well. I see i will need a tune and fuel pump on top of this kit. Can the Stock ss computer be tuned? Or can you just plug in a zl1 computer?

^ im sorry i didnt mean to come off as a dick, i meant the buyer wont care about your preference

·
Registered
1,690 Posts

Apparently GM has a kit for this, you may have spent way too much on yours.

There is a guy selling a brand new kit for 5700 or make offer

Chevy ZL1 LS3 LSA supercharger Kit Lots of EXTRAS | eBay

We own a shop and get parts at discounted prices so i could get this kit a lot cheaper on top of that. It is very true about resale value. You may like a particular supercharger and it may get better numbers, but thats called "preference" and nobody cares about yours. Factory is the best option in my opinion and they last the longest. GM built the car and if they went with this supercharger thats what im going with as well. I see i will need a tune and fuel pump on top of this kit. Can the Stock ss computer be tuned? Or can you just plug in a zl1 computer?

^ im sorry i didnt mean to come off as a dick, i meant the buyer wont care about your preference
You'd probably be better off just getting a dyno tune with your ECU. As far as supercharger kits go, I would buy one brand new complete with all components. Because unless you are familiar with these cars inside and out, it's safe to safe that piecing together a kit can get complicated and frustrating. And you'll probably end up spending more time and money than if you had just bought a complete kit from the start. And I def wouldn't get a GM factory kit...unless I got it for a steal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You'd probably be better off just getting a dyno tune with your ECU. As far as supercharger kits go, I would buy one brand new complete with all components. Because unless you are familiar with these cars inside and out, it's safe to safe that piecing together a kit can get complicated and frustrating. And you'll probably end up spending more time and money than if you had just bought a complete kit from the start. And I def wouldn't get a GM factory kit...unless I got it for a steal.
assuming that a complete kit were availible for a 2010+ camro SS that had EVEYTHING you needed top to bottom direct bolt in etc... would you think any differently>?
this is not an attack on your opinion
i am curious why you state you would not get a GM blower. what do you find about the GM blower to be un satisfactory?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just found out a complete kit is available, or at least it was. They came out with the
LS9 Supercharger package. You have to buy the acceddories drive belt assembly as well, but here is the funny part. You can buy the supercharger right now from a dealership, but the accessories drive belt assebly is discontinued...So basically its pointless to but because one wont work without the other. Here are the part numbers, check for you self if you dont believe me.

LS9 Supercharger- 19244103

LS9 Supercharger Accessory drive- 19243524

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
assuming that a complete kit were availible for a 2010+ camro SS that had EVEYTHING you needed top to bottom direct bolt in etc... would you think any differently>?
this is not an attack on your opinion
i am curious why you state you would not get a GM blower. what do you find about the GM blower to be un satisfactory?
I would get one if I could find it for a great price. Otherwise I wouldn't. Because the aftermarket supercharger kits are much better.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts