Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think most of us are confused as to why a few badges and stitching costs almost $1000 :confused:

Don't you think they could have at least used the same color as in the movie and done replica stripes, hood, front fascia at least?

Not that all that could cost $1000 or less.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I would agree, the package seems expensive considering what you get. It would cost more to do those types of things yourself however :D
I might have to disagree with you. From what I have seen, outside of a Rally Yellow Camaro with balck rally stripes, all I've seen are four Autobot wheel center caps, two Autobot badges on the fenders, and an Autobot logo embroidered on the center console cover. I am most certain you'll see these items popping up on eBay, or in various places; cheap! An embroidery shop with a computerized sewing machine can replicate the logo on anyone's console cover. Just have to take it apart and put it back together. Could probably be done for half to a third of the cost. I feel that GM had to fork over dollars to Hasbro for licensing agreements. Hence, the high cost of the package. I would say if one has to have one, be creative and make your own. ;)

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts
I might have to disagree with you. From what I have seen, outside of a Rally Yellow Camaro with balck rally stripes, all I've seen are four Autobot wheel center caps, two Autobot badges on the fenders, and an Autobot logo embroidered on the center console cover. I am most certain you'll see these items popping up on eBay, or in various places; cheap! An embroidery shop with a computerized sewing machine can replicate the logo on anyone's console cover. Just have to take it apart and put it back together. Could probably be done for half to a third of the cost. I feel that GM had to fork over dollars to Hasbro for licensing agreements. Hence, the high cost of the package. I would say if one has to have one, be creative and make your own. ;)
I should have said 'may cost you more' as I have no idea what things like that cost.

Maybe so, but you would still have a copy. The RPO would be missing from your build sheet :D

·
Registered
240 Posts
Don't forget licensing fees that I'm sure Hasbro is getting. Also GM is going to have fewer units to spread fixed costs across, things like machine setup for the badges.

Another thing I don't know is if autobot symbol on the wheels are just snap in caps or something more permanent.

I think overall the price isn't too far out of line when stripes are $500 by themselves if you get them with the car.

Still not a package for me.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I should have said 'may cost you more' as I have no idea what things like that cost.

Maybe so, but you would still have a copy. The RPO would be missing from your build sheet :D
That's true. I guess that may be worth something more to a future collector. Although I like the Transformer movies, I wouldn't really want a Transformer Edition Camaro. Just alittle gimmicky for me. I'd say to GM, as they have the Z06 and ZR1 in the Corvette line, give the Camaro line the Z/28. Even in a initial limited production run like they did in 1967. Just make sure it is very distinctive.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
I believe it comes with special sill plates too. I think the whole package is cheesy personally. Alot of people will eat it up though, and they'll have a special edition car that's rare sometime in the future, but lets face it...it ain't no 69 COPO.

Another thing I don't know is if autobot symbol on the wheels are just snap in caps or something more permanent.
They have to be snap in, otherwise there would be no way to balance your wheel.

·
9,152 Posts
I believe it comes with special sill plates too. I think the whole package is cheesy personally. Alot of people will eat it up though, and they'll have a special edition car that's rare sometime in the future, but lets face it...it ain't no 69 COPO.

They have to be snap in, otherwise there would be no way to balance your wheel.
I think this is a well done package considering how subtle it is.

GM has gone overboard on the Corvette GT1 appearance package however - this is one overdone cheesy mess , not to mention the crazy price of $7,840 :eek:

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Considering that the package is factory-installed, and regular rally stripes cost around almost half of that price to begin with, we could break it down to around say, $100 bucks for the side emblems, 60 bucks for the wheel caps, 100 bucks for the door sills...you're already past 700 bills. Say another 100 for the embroideried lid, and throw in the licensing fees spread across the number of expected units sold, it's roughly within shooting distance.

It's definitely something you want to have, not anything that is going to put its stamp on history. Of course, they've been doing gimmicks for years. Think "skybird" ,"redbird", "35th anniversary" etc.

It's nothing permanent, so if after a while, it isn't something the owner or subsequent owner wouldn't want, the stuff is easily changed out.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
GM has gone overboard on the Corvette GT1 appearance package however - this is one overdone cheesy mess , not to mention the crazy price of $7,840 :eek:
Corvette guys will buy anything. When you're that old, what else do you have to do with your money ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
It's a gimmick that they need to make a few bucks on, Come on the Transformers movie had no bearing on me buying this car therefore I pass on this gimmick! However there are alot of people that think the only reason the Camaro is alive today is because of that movie, so let them have their little slice of the movie and think they have something rare in the process, Help GM recover more of the company from the Govment control!!!

·
Supporting Super Moderator
5,668 Posts
IMO this is what should have been done

Real bumblebee stripes
wheel emblems
horn button
done

that would have not looked cheesy like this does.
There is no need for the afterthought emblems on the fender and bad looking stitching.

·
THE FBODFATHER
487 Posts
Some thoughts: (and I'll try not to lose my temper....)

First of all - it's a 'Transformers Edition" -- NOT a 'Bumblebee Edition' --

The package is meant to appeal to a wide audience. Most Camaro Enthusiasts are going to order what they want -- and the Transformers Edition will not affect their choice - (there may be some who wanted Rally Yellow and they may decide to go for the package - but most others will go with the color they wanted in the first place. That does not mean that the package "sucks" or it's an 'epic fail' -- or any other 'creative descriptor' that I've heard or seen over the past couple of days on other sites...

Someone said "it should be painted the same color as Bumblebee in the movie"
........SURE IT SHOULD -- and I should be earning a million dollars a year!!!

Anyone want to take a guess as to how much the paint alone would cost per car? (hint -- it's in the thousands of dollars..) Not to mention that I know of no assembly plant (save for Rolls Royce or the ultra-luxury makes where each car is painted individually in a separate booth...) that could possibly paint this color as there are so many steps -- it goes WAY Beyond 'tint coat'

Now - others say "couple of badges and decals"

REALLY!?!?!?

Keep in mind that every emblem and stripe on the car has gone thru 'Desert/Arctic validation' -- that in and of itself tells you that you can't do this for a couple hundred dollars......

....someone else said "you can have the emblem embroidered yourself" -- mebbe -- but I'd like to see the quality......and I say this because I know what we went thru with the Trophy Mats for the 2002 Collector Firebird and the 35th Anniversary Camaro SS........trust me, we look to ensure that there are no rogue threads and that the needle does not double penetrate the material -- all which lead to a poor appearance and unravelling........

..then there are those who say it should have the new front fascia and hood that Bumblebee wears in the second movie...........

.......mmmmkay -- add a couple more thousand dollars per car..............

Go look at the list of what you get -- and $995 is a very fair price -- esp. when compared to other 'limited edition' models by other manufacturers.

If you don't like it - fine - -but it does not mean that the package itself is wrong or misguided.

I'd also ask you to withhold judgement until you see the package in person -- (shades of the hysteria when people first saw the 'white' Camaro in a garage about a year and a half ago........pure hysteria....)

FINALLY -- "Thor" was upfitted with the package -- and I'm here to tell you that the public at large is loving the package -- to the point of where people ask me if they can take pictures of their children in front of him........

Sorry if I'm a bit 'testy' -- but there are a couple of sites out there that are just trashing us -- ( I especially love the one where a 'brilliant person' says this is why GM is in Chapter 11.....)

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

The package is meant to appeal to a wide audience. Most Camaro Enthusiasts are going to order what they want -- and the Transformers Edition will not affect their choice - (there may be some who wanted Rally Yellow and they may decide to go for the package - but most others will go with the color they wanted in the first place. That does not mean that the package "sucks" or it's an 'epic fail' -- or any other 'creative descriptor' that I've heard or seen over the past couple of days on other sites...

Anyone want to take a guess as to how much the paint alone would cost per car? (hint -- it's in the thousands of dollars..) Not to mention that I know of no assembly plant (save for Rolls Royce or the ultra-luxury makes where each car is painted individually in a separate booth...) that could possibly paint this color as there are so many steps -- it goes WAY Beyond 'tint coat'

REALLY!?!?!?

Keep in mind that every emblem and stripe on the car has gone thru 'Desert/Arctic validation' -- that in and of itself tells you that you can't do this for a couple hundred dollars......

....someone else said "you can have the emblem embroidered yourself" -- mebbe -- but I'd like to see the quality......and I say this because I know what we went thru with the Trophy Mats for the 2002 Collector Firebird and the 35th Anniversary Camaro SS........trust me, we look to ensure that there are no rogue threads and that the needle does not double penetrate the material -- all which lead to a poor appearance and unravelling........

..then there are those who say it should have the new front fascia and hood that Bumblebee wears in the second movie...........

Go look at the list of what you get -- and $995 is a very fair price -- esp. when compared to other 'limited edition' models by other manufacturers.

If you don't like it - fine - -but it does not mean that the package itself is wrong or misguided.

I'd also ask you to withhold judgement until you see the package in person -- (shades of the hysteria when people first saw the 'white' Camaro in a garage about a year and a half ago........pure hysteria....)

FINALLY -- "Thor" was upfitted with the package -- and I'm here to tell you that the public at large is loving the package -- to the point of where people ask me if they can take pictures of their children in front of him........

Sorry if I'm a bit 'testy' -- but there are a couple of sites out there that are just trashing us -- ( I especially love the one where a 'brilliant person' says this is why GM is in Chapter 11.....)
Thanks for the explanation.

I think that most people, myself included, thought of it more as a "Bumblebee" edition. So that's probably why we were misconstrued.

Since it is a Transformers edition. Any word of having any other cars getting this package as well? (The ones featured in Transformers of course)

·
5,668 Posts

OK I am a little cofused about this I guess. I took at as it was supposed to simulate Bumblebee. Is this special edition availible in non bumble bee colors like red or blue? If not, why is it yellow with black stripes and not considered a Bumblebee edition?

What would have been wrong with making a Bumble Bee edition?
I think it could have been as simple as what I posted above, but would had much more appeal:
-real bumble bee stripes from first movie
-centercaps
-horn button

Or is this the Transformers edition because the real Bumble Bee edition is yet to come?

I think most of the confusion comes from this artical:

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet?target=http://image.emerald.gm.com/gmnews/viewpressreldetail.do?domain=2&docid=55775

DETROIT - Fans of the new Camaro and the blockbuster TRANSFORMERS movies can now combine their love of the car and the films with the Chevrolet Camaro TRANSFORMERS Special Edition announced today at Comic-Con in San Diego.

"When the first TRANSFORMERS movie was setting box office records, we had countless customers asking to purchase the 'BUMBLEBEE' Camaro," said Karen Rafferty, product marketing director, Chevrolet. "Now, they can buy one with the new Camaro TRANSFORMERS Special Edition. Streets all over North America will be buzzing in no time."

Features such as an EPA-rated 29 highway mpg on the V6-powered Camaro, Bluetooth phone connectivity, USB connectivity, XM Satellite Radio and OnStar combined with TRANSFORMERS design cues add to the car’s status as a 21st century sports car.

“Hasbro is thrilled to team up with Chevrolet and excited to see the Camaro TRANSFORMERS Special Edition come to market for our fans to enjoy,” said Samantha Lomow, Global Brand Leader for TRANSFORMERS at Hasbro. “The yellow Camaro with the black stripes has become so iconic and closely associated with the BUMBLEBEE character that this edition was a natural fit for both companies.”

While the aggressive styling of the Camaro is unmistakable, true TRANSFORMERS fans will notice some of the unique, but subtle features of the Camaro TRANSFORMERS Special Edition.

The 2010 Chevrolet Camaro TRANSFORMERS Special Edition includes the following:

AUTOBOT® shield on the driver and passenger side panels
AUTOBOT® shield on each of the four wheel's center cap
AUTOBOT® shield embroidered on interior center console
"TRANSFORMERS" logo on driver and passenger doors' sill plates
"TRANSFORMERS" logo embedded into the hood rally stripes
High-gloss black center rally stripe package
Manufacturer’s suggested retail price of package: $995
Dealers are now taking orders for this car. Customers can order the TRANSFORMERS Special Edition as either a Rally Yellow LT or SS model. The optional RS appearance package can also be added.

The V6-powered Camaro uses a 3.6L engine with variable valve timing to optimize performance and fuel economy. It is SAE-certified at 304 horsepower (227 kW) and 273 lb.-ft. of torque (370 Nm). A six-speed manual transmission is standard with the 3.6L engine; a Hydra-Matic 6L50 electronically controlled six-speed automatic, with TAPshift control, is available.

The high-performance Camaro SS is equipped with a powerful 6.2L V-8, with a choice of a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission. Manual transmission-equipped models receive the LS3 engine, SAE-certified at 426 horsepower (318 kW) and 420 lb.-ft. of torque (569 Nm). It is paired with a TR6060 six-speed transmission.

A new, L99 V-8 engine is used on automatic transmission-equipped SS models. It is based on the LS3, but also includes GM’s fuel-saving Active Fuel Management feature. It is SAE-certified at 400 horsepower (298 kW) and 410 lb.-ft. of torque (556 Nm). It is matched with a Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed transmission that helps delivers an EPA-estimated 25 mpg on the highway.

About Chevrolet
Chevrolet is one of America's best-known and best-selling automotive brands, and one of the fastest growing brands in the world. With fuel solutions that go from "gas-friendly to gas-free," Chevy has nine models that get 30 miles per gallon or more on the highway, and offers three hybrid models. More than 2.5 million Chevrolets that run on E85 biofuel have been sold. Next year, Chevrolet will offer the Chevy Volt, an extended range electric vehicle that will travel up to 40 miles without using any gas at all. Chevy delivers expressive design, spirited performance and provides the best value in every segment in which it competes. More information on Chevrolet can be found at www.chevrolet.com.

About HASBRO
Hasbro, Inc. (NYSE:HAS) is a worldwide leader in children’s and family leisure time products and services with a rich portfolio of brands and entertainment properties that provides some of the highest quality and most recognizable play and recreational experiences in the world. As a brand-driven, consumer-focused global company, Hasbro brings to market a range of toys, games and licensed products, from traditional to high-tech and digital, under such powerful brand names as TRANSFORMERS, PLAYSKOOL, TONKA, MILTON BRADLEY, PARKER BROTHERS, CRANIUM and WIZARDS OF THE COAST. Come see how we inspire play through our brands at http://www.hasbro.com. © 2009 Hasbro, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
"When the first TRANSFORMERS movie was setting box office records, we had countless customers asking to purchase the 'BUMBLEBEE' Camaro," said Karen Rafferty, product marketing director, Chevrolet. "Now, they can buy one with the new Camaro TRANSFORMERS Special Edition. Streets all over North America will be buzzing in no time."
To me, this paragraph spells out exactly what it was to be, although I could see where someone could be led down the path they wanted. Customers were asking about a bumble bee camaro, and Chevy said they could buy a transformers special edition. I think because of the bumblebee movie character, it was just a natural expectation. So perhaps that's why there's been a lukewarm reception.

I'm getting the package. I'm not what you'd call a huge fan of the movie, but I look at it more as a tribute to the franchise rather than trying to copy the bumble bee character itself. It's campy, unique, and slightly off beat. But still within earshot of being reasonably priced and it's interesting to me.

I won't defend it against anyone who doesn't care for it. You'll like what you like. You either like this or you don't. So I'm not going to convince anyone to like it if they don't. I really don't see any middle-ground here. Sales history in January will determine if this was a bad idea.

·
2,416 Posts
It does bother me that GM didn't go the Bumble Bee route more. I know the exact match on the paint couldn't be done and most people say the car is yellow anyway. In some ways I'm kinda glad they went that route since its going to make our Bumble Bee more unique since he has the right stripes.

·
Registered
359 Posts
i just want the body kit bumblebee had in T2..................

having it in a Z28 would rock, but making it an option only with the SS would be great!

·
9,152 Posts

REALLY!?!?!?

Thanks Scott. That is basically where I was going with my initial replies above. It is always more costly to do things like this yourself to try to emulate what the manuf does. I was trying to avoid another heated discussion as I seem to get into lately :cool:

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
Bottom line: If it wasn't meant to be a "Bumblebee Edition," the customer would be able to order it in different colors. You can call it a "Transformers Edition" all you like, but at the end of the day, it's a Bumblebee.

That said, I have absolutely no problem with the stripes in the package. They're just fine. They're not exact, but they're good enough, and the people who this package appeals to probably don't care anyway. I don't have a problem with the cost either, because it is a low cost for a "special edition." It'll be a great little collector for someone in 40 years.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts