Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked this up for $500. Only surface rust on the hood. Frame and body are in good shape. Cant wait to get started. I have to clear out the garage and then go pick it up in Venus, TX.

Anyone have one of these or can offer any advise on what I may want to do/not do. From what I have read, you cant just drop a chevy small block into a pre 83 pontiac. Trans wont match up, motor mounts arent the same etc...

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
isnt it great finding cars in Texas ? as long as you are not near the coast rust isnt a factor :thumbsup: sounds like you have a project.

I always loved the back of Ta's back then. I would find a message board for that gen and speak with folks over there.

I'm only knowledgable on older Camaro's. Good luck !

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate it. I found a good website. Transamcountry.com, all about 2nd gen birds. Jekyll-n-Hyde, your right, there are still lots of gems hidden behind single wides and in fields here in Texas. Drive down any country road and your guaranteed to see something like this or older or a classic truck just sitting.

On the motor, got to get in their and see what I have and see if its worth rebuilding or just get a crate motor or something. Really excited.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
NICE!

I had a '77 T/A with a chevy 400. It was already in when I bought it, but it should be an easy swap. The parts are gonna be different, but parts off a Camaro will work. Unless you want to keep it original and depending on what you want, it'll probably be cheaper to build a nice SBC (even with all the parts you need) than to build a nice (fast) pontiac motor...unless you can get luck and find a built one cheap. But stock, they were slugs.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am going to try to keep it all Pontiac and would like the 455. That is an Olds motor correct? An Olds motor used in the T/A's and other Pontiacs I think. If a nice 400 or 455 doesnt not work out financially or power wise, I will have to convert to a sbc. Thinking about 350 HP will be about right.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would love to eventually get the new snowflake rims from yearone that they use on the BRE T/As

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
I am going to try to keep it all Pontiac and would like the 455. That is an Olds motor correct? An Olds motor used in the T/A's and other Pontiacs I think. If a nice 400 or 455 doesnt not work out financially or power wise, I will have to convert to a sbc. Thinking about 350 HP will be about right.
maybe you can come across an older 455 or 400, would have more power. You can always just get your 400 rebuilt (assuming it's a 400, they also came with 403's which had less power). I'm sure there are plenty of rebuild kits out there that'll get you up to 350hp.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
maybe you can come across an older 455 or 400, would have more power. You can always just get your 400 rebuilt (assuming it's a 400, they also came with 403's which had less power). I'm sure there are plenty of rebuild kits out there that'll get you up to 350hp.
The 403 was the Oldsmobile boat anchor -- more so than even the L03 :lol:

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
I know a kid down the road who bought an '81 with the 403. It was loud as hell so he thought it was fast too, but loud doesn't make it fast.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
I know a kid down the road who bought an '81 with the 403. It was loud as hell so he thought it was fast too, but loud doesn't make it fast.
it would have been a '79 w/ a 403...unless it wasn't original, although I don't know anyone who would want to swap IN a 185hp 403ci boat anchor.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I found a Pontiac 400 crate motor with 366 crank hp for $2799. Thats not to bad. Since I am far from an engine guy, I may go that route. Thats about 300HP at the rear wheels.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts