Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does any one know if GM will come out with the fire bird or trans am?
i mean they have come out with every camaro before
so are they still going to or no?
it would be sweet to see though

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
I am psychic ))) and I see no new Firebird/Trans Am in Pontiac's future.

Ok I lied, but there actually won't be a Firebird......Or Trans Am.....Like ever.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am a Trans Am nut and I don't understand why they wouldn't. It does not make sense. 98-02 they sold both.... I don't care what GM says about poor sales, they sold good.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Those days are over, don't know if you've noticed the price of gas lately and changing car landscape. Why would GM introduce a vehicle to directly compete with the vehicle that will try to turn Chevy around. I could see a future V8 powered G8 coupe or GTO (more of a performance niche car that would come out with the Z/28 fingers still crossed on this one), but not a Firebird to directly compete with both the V6 and V8 Camaros. Pontiac got the 4-door rear-drive performance vehicle and Chevy got the 2-Door. You don't see Chevy coming out with a G8 rival.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
And for the thousandth time in forum history..........

·
Registered
25 Posts
Call me crazy...but I would bet that GM's "opinion" was based upon a lot more factual sales data than yours.
I am sure it was :BangHead: What I am trying to say is that the sales may have been "low" to GM but I (once again my opinion) did not think so. I remember reading somewhere in 02 when they announced that they were terminated by lack of sales That the numbers for just the Camaro alone were like 40k or 50k with the Firebird not far behind that. I (once again my opinion) thought at the time that was pretty good. Maybe not to GM.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Jinx, that's a cold picture for those who like the TA, oh you forgot to put the cat in the drivers window. ;)

I think GM has enough on their plate right now, they are building some outstanding vehicles, as always.

SF
Rick

·
Registered
100 Posts
While I agree with most of you on this one, I have learned in my life to "never say never". Stranger things have happened,even at GM. You just never know for sure...
Just my 2 cents...
John

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Never, never, never, never.... :D

j/k I also would not say there will NEVER be a firebird. If Camaro sales stall, they COULD do it. And maybe it COULD be the supercharged version ONLY, as not to pull from Camaro sales.

·
Premium Member
2,774 Posts
I am a Trans Am nut and I don't understand why they wouldn't. It does not make sense. 98-02 they sold both.... I don't care what GM says about poor sales, they sold good.
Yes it does its called money. GM is hurting big time and the Camaro can only be one car not a sibling to the Firebird.

I am sure it was :BangHead: What I am trying to say is that the sales may have been "low" to GM but I (once again my opinion) did not think so. I remember reading somewhere in 02 when they announced that they were terminated by lack of sales That the numbers for just the Camaro alone were like 40k or 50k with the Firebird not far behind that. I (once again my opinion) thought at the time that was pretty good. Maybe not to GM.
okay GM needs to sell 80-100K of these cars. WITH the money given to promote one car. Thats where Firebird failed. They lost money in just advertising the Firebird. They do not need a low volume car. They need a high volume seller. a 30K a year Firebird is not for this platform needs considering the millions that its taking to get the Camaro from drawing board to street. This platform could not survive on the same numbers that the 02 Camaro and Firebird sold at. If it did it would not last past 5 years. Thats fact. What you say about you remember reading is that Pontaic sold in total all Firebirds, Formulas and T/A's combined as Chevy sold V6 Camaro's.
Sure to you it a no brainer but when you only have room for one pony car in your lineup It has to be the volume seller. Firebird was not it. Camaro was it. If there was a case then Mustang would still have the Capri and Chrysler would have a stablemate to its Challenger.
Think about it. When 2003 rolled around Ford sold like 140K Stangs. Why not split that and sent some $$$ to Mercury and develope a new Capri for them since they are hurting? Especially since the F-Body was dead. Why not they had at least 70K to give to another devision to give it a boost. a new 4.6liter 2 door for Mercury? Would be great. But the millions it would take to design and market a new Capri. Ford would lose money on everyone sold. That is why GM only has one muscle car. Camaro is the only way they could make a profit. not having Firebird in the mix. On top of it, Pontaic can not use the name Trans Am anymore to produce a car or option package.

Beleive me Scott S. went into great detail a few years ago on the pros and cons of a new firebird and the outcome is what you got here. It just does not make a case. Not the numbers it needed then and not the numbers it needs now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes it does its called money. GM is hurting big time and the Camaro can only be one car not a sibling to the Firebird.

okay GM needs to sell 80-100K of these cars. WITH the money given to promote one car. Thats where Firebird failed. They lost money in just advertising the Firebird. They do not need a low volume car. They need a high volume seller. a 30K a year Firebird is not for this platform needs considering the millions that its taking to get the Camaro from drawing board to street. This platform could not survive on the same numbers that the 02 Camaro and Firebird sold at. If it did it would not last past 5 years. Thats fact. What you say about you remember reading is that Pontaic sold in total all Firebirds, Formulas and T/A's combined as Chevy sold V6 Camaro's.
Sure to you it a no brainer but when you only have room for one pony car in your lineup It has to be the volume seller. Firebird was not it. Camaro was it. If there was a case then Mustang would still have the Capri and Chrysler would have a stablemate to its Challenger.
Think about it. When 2003 rolled around Ford sold like 140K Stangs. Why not split that and sent some $$$ to Mercury and develope a new Capri for them since they are hurting? Especially since the F-Body was dead. Why not they had at least 70K to give to another devision to give it a boost. a new 4.6liter 2 door for Mercury? Would be great. But the millions it would take to design and market a new Capri. Ford would lose money on everyone sold. That is why GM only has one muscle car. Camaro is the only way they could make a profit. not having Firebird in the mix. On top of it, Pontaic can not use the name Trans Am anymore to produce a car or option package.

Beleive me Scott S. went into great detail a few years ago on the pros and cons of a new firebird and the outcome is what you got here. It just does not make a case. Not the numbers it needed then and not the numbers it needs now.
That is a good explanation. Thanks. I just guess I am still living in the 70's and 80's and don't have a grasp on todays buisness. I have blinders on from the crowd I am around that would give their first born for a new Firebird. Well if it's a NO to Firebird (which I know is dead.Thanks )I better not see a new GTO as rumored. It does not matter really I guess because I will be buying a Camaro anyway. Time to roll with the changes ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts