Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
See You On Course
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been autocrossing for several years now, and this is my 5th different car to compete in. I've always competed in "stock" cars, meaning very little modifications, if any, and always on street tires. My budget is limited (thanks, kids!).

Anyway, last weekend was the first event of the region for 2012, and since I bought my 2010 M6-SS last month, I've been chomping at the bit to see what she would do. I was pleasantly surprised! I was expecting a lot more understeer (front wheels pushing out) and oversteer (back wheels spinning/sliding on acceleration) causing me to spin out, but it performed very well.

I took 10th place in overall raw times out of 54 cars, even beating out a couple of Corvettes. After the PAX (handicapping system) was applied, I was 6th.

My only complaint right now is that the leather seats provided ample butt-sliding, so I have bruises on the outsides of my knees from trying to stay in the seat.

Looking forward to a great season, definitely going to Divisional Championships and maybe even the National Championships in Lincoln, NE. I'll keep you all posted on how we do, me and my yet to be nick-named Camaro!

Peace!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've been autocrossing for several years now, and this is my 5th different car to compete in.

My only complaint right now is that the leather seats provided ample butt-sliding, so I have bruises on the outsides of my knees from trying to stay in the seat.

Peace!
I suspect you haven't taken and driver instruction. I took the instruction the first time I was at Toronto Motorsports Park road course and I didn't have any problems staying put in my seat. I was also amazed at how well the Camaro stayed on the track. It felt at times like I was going to roll the front tires off the wheels but I never went off the course and the back end didn't swing out either. Great driver training to get the feel of the car.

BoB

·
See You On Course
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, sorry. My camera rig busted last year, and I'm going to get a GoPro soon. Should have some nice pics soon, though, because we always have a person that takes high-res action shots. I'll post them when she uploads them!

·
Vendor
813 Posts
No, sorry. My camera rig busted last year, and I'm going to get a GoPro soon. Should have some nice pics soon, though, because we always have a person that takes high-res action shots. I'll post them when she uploads them!
awesome! thanks! the GoPro's are sweet! have you ever suction cupped one to the exterior during a race? any issues with it flying off?

·
See You On Course
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't personally, but I've seen several people that have them. We just had another person at the last race who's camera came off, and bounced and rolled, and was still fine. The protective case did it's job!

My other rig was a suction cup mount for a standard video camera, and it lasted for years, until I put it on the front bumper, and it came off and I ran over it. D'oh! Would have been great footage!

·
Registered
92 Posts
any video? :D
Not sure if you were replying to me. Don't know how to figure that out yet.
Anyways, here is a video of 1 lap at TMP where I have done the road course a few times. On the 1st straight at the beginning of the video, I get up to 100-110 MPH and take the corner at about 50 MPH. You can see there isn't much lean on the corners.

TMP Road Course
Webshots Rides offers thousands of the best car wallpapers.

TMP Drags
Webshots Rides offers thousands of the best car wallpapers.
The orange Mustang ahead of me is my brother-in-law in a GT500 with 547 RWHP. That run was 106.35 MPH in 12.85 seconds.

When I am sideways looking at the tree, I went around the water and am doing a "brake stand" burnout. Don't remember what the stats were on this run but my best so far is 110.09 MPH in 13.35 seconds. Car had SLP CAI, SLP Axle back muffler delete and BMR trailing arms & toe rods.

BoB

·
See You On Course
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is the video I mentioned about the GoPro falling off!

·
See You On Course
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Here's my baby in action!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts