Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A recall bulletin popped up today about the battery cables shorting that I've read about in several posts. They've already mailed dealers the parts to fix the problem. I hate to see an early recall because it's not good PR but they took swift action to catch it early and fix it.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
I'm certainly glad they found it early are taking care of it now.

·
Registered
267 Posts
A recall bulletin popped up today about the battery cables shorting that I've read about in several posts. They've already mailed dealers the parts to fix the problem. I hate to see an early recall because it's not good PR but they took swift action to catch it early and fix it.

Dealers are not mailed the parts to fix these. Parts are ordered by the dealer. Essentially, they reroute the cable a bit and wrap the "affected area" with some special tape that is heat & radio frequency resistant.....unless of course, the cable is worn through. Then it gets replaced. This should take care of the problem. Surprising that the CTF cars didn't have this problem.

And according to the recall ONLY CERTAIN VEHICLES, meaning NOT ALL SS's!!!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Exactly where does the recall notice say the potential rub is occurring? Just so we know where to look to avert disaster...

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Suppose one of the positives of not having a VIN yet is this should be fixed by the time mine is built ;)

Chris

yup...trying to keep my glass half full as well. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
70 Posts
From my experience at GM, they will retro-fit (repair) all cars that are still at the plant before they are shipped. Any cars produced after the problem was identified will not be affected, as the problem will be fixed in production by changing whatever needed to take care of this. This will most likely cause shipping delays as each car at plant will have to be brought back in and put on a lift to reapir. But it is DEFINATELY better that this was identified EARLY in the build process. It is also a simple fix at the dealer so only the cars already delivered to customers will have to be brought back in.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
And according to the recall ONLY CERTAIN VEHICLES, meaning NOT ALL SS's!!!

:thumbsup:
Though I believe you can insist the repair or retrofit be done regardless, since it could crop up later. How is anyone going to know they're not at risk unless someone checks the wiring?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I think this will be in all the papers.
Very likely. The press will love to point out that GM can't build a quality car like those foreign companies do (without mentioning the recalls from those foreign companies, of course.)

My thought was just that it was nipped in the bud, so to speak, affecting dozens of already-delivered-to-customer cars rather than tens of thousands had it not been caught and corrected for another couple of months.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts