Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Supporting Super Moderator
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_0802_2008_pontiac_g8_gt_first_test

At the track, the G8 GT nailed the sprint to 60 mph in just 5.3 seconds and charged through the quarter mile in 13.8 seconds at 102.8 mph.

The 19-inch summer tires and well-tuned suspension combine to wring out 0.88 g of grip-far more than either the 335i or the G37. More important, the GT responds to handling inputs with impressive balance (weight distribution is 51/49 percent front/rear). Braking from 60 mph, aided by vented rotors fore and aft and twin-piston calipers up front, takes just 112 feet (the BMW and Infiniti each do it in 110 feet). While StabiliTrak with all-speed traction control is standard on both G8 models, you can switch it entirely off. So configured, the GT will happily kick out its tail wide under throttle-useful for balancing the car on the track, though for most road driving StabiliTrak is the smarter choice, keeping the torque nicely under rein.

Please make it so we can turn Stabitrack on and off in the Camaro as well:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
The news embargo ended today.

Edmunds VIDEO can be found here.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=124876

and Motorweek test schedule

MotorWeek #2730

Episode Title: 2730/Pontiac G8
PBS broadcast window begins March 28, 2008

Quick Listing:
Road Test: 2008 Pontiac G8 Sport Sedan
Road Test: 2009 Toyota Matrix
Goss' Garage: DIY Exterior Detailing
FYI: Car Care High School
Long-Term Road Test Update: Suzuki SX4, Mitsubishi Lancer

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Dark Side Moderator
2,665 Posts
Hahahaha, that's so awesome. The G8 GT got a .1 second better 1/4 time than the behemoth Challenger.

Beaten by a Sedan with 65 less HP...I love it.
That says a lot if a base V8 Camaro comes with the same L76 and lighter (which is prolly a given) and is able to beat the top of the line SRT-8 model. Thats a good epic pwn3d.

And as responsive as the L76 is to mods, Im sure that it could make it a better pwn3d with bolt-ons, even against a bolt-on Challenger (if they ever get the parts available, lol).

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
That says a lot if a base V8 Camaro comes with the same L76 and lighter (which is prolly a given) and is able to beat the top of the line SRT-8 model. Thats a good epic pwn3d.

And as responsive as the L76 is to mods, Im sure that it could make it a better pwn3d with bolt-ons, even against a bolt-on Challenger (if they ever get the parts available, lol).
http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=63-3058

For the L76 in the Silverado 1500.
17HP gain
They list it for the 4.8l the 5.3l and the 6.0l.

If they can get that much from it in a truck, gotta wonder how it'll do in a car.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
328 Posts
thanks for the video

Wow I do not like 4 door but this one I do. Gives us a little idea of what the Camaro will do to any other muscle car that gets in its way :)

·
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hahahaha, that's so awesome. The G8 GT got a .1 second better 1/4 time than the behemoth Challenger.

Beaten by a Sedan with 65 less HP...I love it.
I think it was .1 slower than the SRT model.

But just wait till the GXP is availiable with the LS3. It will own.
Its not really fair to put it up agaist the SRT because the GT is not the top of the line like the SRT, GT is only midlevel.

·
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The SRT-8 was 13.9, brandon.
G8 GT is 13.8.
Then why did they say they lost by a fender?

Honestly, we didn't think we had a chance. The 2008 Pontiac G8 GT is powered by a 6.0-liter V8 rated at 361 horsepower at 5,300 rpm and 385 pound-feet of torque at 4,400 rpm. Steve's Mopar, a virtual twin to the one we tested a few months ago, is packing a 6.1-liter V8 pumping 425 hp and 420 lb-ft of torque.

We clicked off the Pontiac's traction control with the clearly marked button ahead of its shifter and brake-torqued the big V8 to 2,000 rpm. To our right we could hear Steve do the same. On the count of three we went for it.

Both cars left clean, with just a turn or two of tire slip. Then Steve pulled a fender on us. No surprise considering his Bee's torque advantage. But that's all he had. Past 60 mph the Mopar was still just a fender ahead. The Pontiac's six-speed automatic clicked off clean, crisp gearchanges just before its 6,000-rpm rev limiter, and kept pace with that Charger well past 100 mph.

We raced again. And again. And again. It was like a scene out of Woodward Avenue circa 1969, only we were in sedans, with sunroofs and heated seats, on a deserted, burned-out industrial section of downtown Los Angeles. Every race was a carbon copy of the first.

We lost. But not by much.

Steve wasn't happy. His Mopar had more power, louder paint and many more stickers than the G8 GT. It also costs more than the Pontiac, which carries a base price of $29,995 and tops out at $32,745 with our red car's sunroof, leather and big wheel and tire option. No, Steve wasn't happy at all

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Don't matter that much it is a mid level car vs the top model of the same category the GXP will make the SRT-8 look like a Honda. Gives me even more confidence that the Camaro will trounce the Chally. According to this it will probably do so in the twisties.

·
Registered
375 Posts
This is freaking funny. Top of the line SRT Challenger vs A Pontiac G8 GT four door w/ L76 361hp engine. The only thing to separate them is a mere .1? What a slap in the face for Dodge, that a stock sedan with 64 less horses can keep pace with their 425hp big dog. I love it.:rotflmao:
This is good, it gives us a rough idea on the Camaro, which should be a bit lighter. "If" they drop the L76 in the Camaro, which personally I'd have no problem with, it could more then hand the Challenger SRT its butt, not to mention the R/T which will be out in 09 as well.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Umm srt-8 charger im sure pulled off 13.4-13.6 area isint top dog charger competing against the gto? cause im sure they were close but GTO is quicker and pulled 13.3

·
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
that 6 speed auto really is helping out huh?

It only has a 2.XX gear in the rear.

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
The G8 has a 2.92 gear ratio.

I think there was talk about the GXP will have it's own FE3 High Performance Suspension and different rear axle ratios. It shows two possibilitites. a 3.70 and a 3.27.

3.70s would really be a hand full and I'll admit fun as hell in a 4000lb sedan. I think the 3.27 sounds reasonable but if 3.70s are an option for the GXP and anybody later on swapping the gears into the G8 GT will have a huge SEG.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Then why did they say they lost by a fender?

Honestly, we didn't think we had a chance. The 2008 Pontiac G8 GT is powered by a 6.0-liter V8 rated at 361 horsepower at 5,300 rpm and 385 pound-feet of torque at 4,400 rpm. Steve's Mopar, a virtual twin to the one we tested a few months ago, is packing a 6.1-liter V8 pumping 425 hp and 420 lb-ft of torque.

We clicked off the Pontiac's traction control with the clearly marked button ahead of its shifter and brake-torqued the big V8 to 2,000 rpm. To our right we could hear Steve do the same. On the count of three we went for it.

Both cars left clean, with just a turn or two of tire slip. Then Steve pulled a fender on us. No surprise considering his Bee's torque advantage. But that's all he had. Past 60 mph the Mopar was still just a fender ahead. The Pontiac's six-speed automatic clicked off clean, crisp gearchanges just before its 6,000-rpm rev limiter, and kept pace with that Charger well past 100 mph.

We raced again. And again. And again. It was like a scene out of Woodward Avenue circa 1969, only we were in sedans, with sunroofs and heated seats, on a deserted, burned-out industrial section of downtown Los Angeles. Every race was a carbon copy of the first.

We lost. But not by much.

Steve wasn't happy. His Mopar had more power, louder paint and many more stickers than the G8 GT. It also costs more than the Pontiac, which carries a base price of $29,995 and tops out at $32,745 with our red car's sunroof, leather and big wheel and tire option. No, Steve wasn't happy at all

That's talking about the Charger. (Note the comment about being in sedans..the Challenger isn't a sedan..the Charger is.)

I'm talking about the Challenger.

And we had an article on here some time ago stating the Challenger gets 13.9.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
375 Posts
:lol:, I could've sworn I seen Challenger in that article, sheee's. Still those are very impressive numbers.

·
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's talking about the Charger. (Note the comment about being in sedans..the Challenger isn't a sedan..the Charger is.)

I'm talking about the Challenger.

And we had an article on here some time ago stating the Challenger gets 13.9.
Oh I see.

Surely though if the Charger can run 13.7 the Challenger would be able to do better than 13.9:confused:

·
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The G8 has a 2.92 gear ratio.

I think there was talk about the GXP will have it's own FE3 High Performance Suspension and different rear axle ratios. It shows two possibilitites. a 3.70 and a 3.27.

3.70s would really be a hand full and I'll admit fun as hell in a 4000lb sedan. I think the 3.27 sounds reasonable but if 3.70s are an option for the GXP and anybody later on swapping the gears into the G8 GT will have a huge SEG.
I could see 3.27 being the auto and 3.70 being the manual.
Wow if the GXP with the auto gets either of those gears, its going to have a ton of power on take off with that low first gear in the six speed auto. That would be almost like having a stalled auto all the time with those gears.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts