Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

well I had a busy weekend ... I fitted a Whipple SC kit along with BBK Headers to my 2011 2SS Manual. I was already running Cold Air Inductions CAI, ADM Race Scoop, GM Performance Exhaust, Hurst Billet Comp Plus Shifter.

I can not recommend the Whipple Kit highly enough ... it is AWESOME! So well put together, excellent detailed instructions, labeled bags with individual hoses, wiring etc ... and the hand-held tuner with the custom Whipple tune set up for my configuration.

I started Friday night and had the car running Sunday night ... so a big job, but very satisfying knowing I did it all myself.

And how does it go? WOOOOOOOOOOOW!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks great. If you do not mind me asking how much did this setup run?
Polished Whipple kit with hand held tuner $7800 (that's not fitted ... I did it myself)

Headers, CAI, ADM Scoop, Hurst Shifter, Eichbach, Exhaust .... add around another $3k.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
May be a stupid question but did u pull the motor to install the kit.?
No ... pulled the front clip off to fit heat exhange and electric water pump for intercooler ... but that is half an hour job.

You just have to remove fuel lines, air box (or CAI in my case), coil packs, unplug and pull back looms, run new hoses to back of the SC for the intercooler, replace the heater hoses with more direct ones that dont run over the engine, remove the intake manifold, then bolt on the supercharger (after you've filled it with oil and coolant mix) in sections, then bolt on the throttle body.

You also have to remove electric fan assembly to give you better access to harmonic balancer bolt ... which you replace and pin.

And then there's the MSD fuel booster that is mounted into the trunk and the loom that runs underneath the car up to the engine.

Replace fan assembly, front end, radiator hose, spark plugs, coils, plug leads, looms, fuel lines, vacuum lines, throttle body, fit new pulley assembly, fit new serpentine belt, CAI.

Top up coolant levels

Then plug the tuner in, save stock tune, upload new tune.

That's VERY condensed ... but pretty much the way it rolls. I did the headers at the same time which added about 4-5hrs to the job.

·
Registered
15 Posts
No ... pulled the front clip off to fit heat exhange and electric water pump for intercooler ... but that is half an hour job.

You just have to remove fuel lines, air box (or CAI in my case), coil packs, unplug and pull back looms, run new hoses to back of the SC for the intercooler, replace the heater hoses with more direct ones that dont run over the engine, remove the intake manifold, then bolt on the supercharger (after you've filled it with oil and coolant mix) in sections, then bolt on the throttle body.

You also have to remove electric fan assembly to give you better access to harmonic balancer bolt ... which you replace and pin.

And then there's the MSD fuel booster that is mounted into the trunk and the loom that runs underneath the car up to the engine.

Replace fan assembly, front end, radiator hose, spark plugs, coils, plug leads, looms, fuel lines, vacuum lines, throttle body, fit new pulley assembly, fit new serpentine belt, CAI.

Top up coolant levels

That's VERY condensed ... but pretty much the way it rolls. I did the headers at the same time which added about 4-5hrs to the job.
How long overall did it take you? I plan on doing this with 1 to 2 friends helping. Hopefully in a weekend since it is my DD.

·
8,984 Posts
How long overall did it take you? I plan on doing this with 1 to 2 friends helping. Hopefully in a weekend since it is my DD.
I started Friday night and had the car running Sunday night ... so a big job, but very satisfying knowing I did it all myself.
:thumbsup:

Great job J! Love to see the guys that build their cars, not uy them!!!!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:thumbsup:

Great job J! Love to see the guys that build their cars, not uy them!!!!!
Thanks ... great deal of satisfaction that's for sure!

·
Banned
100 Posts
Hey everyone,

well I had a busy weekend ... I fitted a Whipple SC kit along with BBK Headers to my 2011 2SS Manual. I was already running Cold Air Inductions CAI, ADM Race Scoop, GM Performance Exhaust, Hurst Billet Comp Plus Shifter.

I can not recommend the Whipple Kit highly enough ... it is AWESOME! So well put together, excellent detailed instructions, labeled bags with individual hoses, wiring etc ... and the hand-held tuner with the custom Whipple tune set up for my configuration.

And how does it go? WOOOOOOOOOOOW!

Looks amazing!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,900 Posts

Top up coolant levels

Hmm, sounds like it would be approaching $9K with shop labor (self-install not an option). I keep thinking this is just around the corner, but I balk at the thought of spending that much now.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just curious, how does the Whipple compare to the maggi chargers?
Plenty of dyne results on here and other camaro forum. Whipple is larger (2.9 vs. 2.3) but more importantly Whipple is a more efficient twin screw vs. Maggie roots type.

Nothing wrong with either ... Just Whipple will give you more power with a SC only addition and more scope for really big HP with cam, full exhaust, larger capacity, forged internals etc.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts