Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was precisely two years ago today--April 27, 2009--that Pontiac met its demise. In hindsight, the decision made a lot of sense for General Motors, which six weeks later would file for bankruptcy.

More...

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
RIP. Pontiac wasn't the only death (murder) GM suffered in the last decade. People talk like Pontiac was Elvis or something. It wasn't. It was losing money for GM. Perhaps only ONE car they made that was worth its salt and that was the G6/8. Other than that, no other wow factors. OTOH, if it wasn't for the fact those crazy Chinese liked Buicks so much, I'm betting Buick would have been tossed instead as they STILL have no wow factor here in the U.S. Although I'm sure there's some Buick lovers that may disagree.

But GM had already ticked me off when they axed the F-body. So I guess I was already prepared for more automotive deaths. Funny, of the car lines they chopped off, I haven't missed any at all.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
And Buick has plenty of "wow factor" in the US.
If you're old, I guess. I don't see it. And haven't in years. Not saying their not nice vehicles, but the only "W factor" I see in them is the "WTF is that?" factor. Sorry.

I miss Pontiac and Oldsmobile for cars that once were. But the later versions are mere shells of their predecessors.

Here's the entire Buick lineup as I see them.... :p

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Yeah I miss my 68 442...

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
I miss Pontiac because I had a 1986 Grand Am. It was my third car, but the first I ordered new.
Pontiac made some really good looking cars back in the day. In recent years their styling went to crap.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
U still have her, Have U posted pics of her before???
I still have it. It's Hurst conversion #43. Plus I have a 71, 85, and 87 442, and an 84 Hurst/Olds to round out the Oldsmobiles I have. I love the older Oldsmobiles/Pontiacs/Buicks. But after 87, things went downhill.

Unfortunately, the engine's out and it's undergoing a (too) LONG restoration. I haven't worked on it as much as I need to. I don't have any recent shots, but here's a couple when I pulled the front clip and engine.

And one when I first got it.

The 71 442:

The 84 H/O:

The 85 442 (bought new):

And here's the 87 442. I picked this one up with 19K miles on it back in '07.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Even though my dad worked for GM here in Lansing, we never had Oldsmobiles.
My mom had a couple of Toyotas, but she grew up on Pontiacs
My dad bought Chevy's. A couple of Cavaliers and a couple of Trucks.

I do have something from "Oldsmobile" that I want a collector to tell me what it is worth. I was told it was pulled out of a vault at GM.

It is a book "Introduction to the automobile" and the only date I see on it is 1906, but is a "paperback"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts